Tips or tricks to not scratch lug nut or wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys remove lug nuts without scuffing wheel or nuts? I know they sell protective sockets but was wondering is there another way?

I bought a protective socket. Haven't had the need to use it yet so I can't say if it will serve its purpose or not. All my Toyotas take the same size lug socket.

Sometimes you can get away with electrical tape and using one size larger socket.

Avoid impact drivers/guns at all costs.

Have your sockets machined and polished. Inside and out.

Hit socket to be removed with power washer.

Keep the sockets clean and use EZ Slide(TM) on sockets, along with Vaseline.

Use hand tools.

Last edited:
Take your time. Use clean quality tools. A recent thread showed someone using a breaker bar and socket, break the nut loose then rotate the bar inline and spin the nut out nice and easy. A protective socket if it's really important.

Don't stress too much, you aren't going to keep them perfect.

Protective sockets would be your best bet.

Not using an impact gun is not a realistic solution in a production environment.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Not using an impact gun is not a realistic solution in a production environment.

Depends on the shop, no impact guns on my wheels.

Make sure there is no dirt or grime on the wheels in the lug nut holes. Blast them with a wand at a coin-op car wash. Even with a protective socket, you can make contact with the abrasive wheel grime.

Originally Posted By: Malo83

There is nothing wrong with using an impact gun if it is used properly.

Originally Posted By: Malo83

There is nothing wrong with using an impact gun if it is used properly.

My electric 300 Lbft impact gun removes paint from the bolt heads, perhaps it's more of a socket issue? How do you avoid if by "properly" using one? Its beating on the bolt head after all.

I almost bought the protective sockets, but couldn't figure out the point of having a protective sleeve on the outside making the socket even bigger in OD, which defeats the purpose of not making contact with the wheel. On new/nice chrome lug nuts, I just use a thin wall 6pt socket, and break them loose by hand, and use my cordless drill, with a low clutch setting to run them off, and on. Not much more you can do. It's just a lug nut.

I use protective sockets and an impact gun. So far no damage to wheels or lug nuts to report.

If you scuff wheels using an impact gun, you are careless and shouldn't be working on automobiles. As far as the lug nuts, you may get little nicks here and there, kind of inevitable. There are more important things to worry about with a vehicle than if the lug nuts get a nick imo. You are not going to keep them perfect. Even with hand tools there will be tool marks on the lug nuts.

Last edited:
Electric tape around the socket can add protection without as much bulk.

Some are concerned about the lug nuts/bolts too. I think there is an insert that can be used in sockets to help protect somewhat, but fortunately I've not had to worry about this...

Originally Posted By: ram_man
How do you guys remove lug nuts without scuffing wheel or nuts? I know they sell protective sockets but was wondering is there another way?

Use a thin wall 6pt flank drive chrome socket with hand tools. The flank drive puts less stress on the corners of the nut.
Flank drive is Snap-On but other companies use it and call it by other names.

Single%20Hex%20Flank%20v%20Cheap%20Single%20Hex_zpsmdwldjck.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back