toyota corolla air pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look for the decal upon which Toyota lists tire pressure for the car. I'd say 32 to 35. If your roads are bad, stick to the lower pressure. A tire which is too hard risks injury by potholes.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Look for the decal upon which Toyota lists tire pressure for the car. I'd say 32 to 35. If your roads are bad, stick to the lower pressure. A tire which is too hard risks injury by potholes.
+1

Yes 30 psi cold. If you check them when hot, then 34 psi would be about right.

Generally speaking....Toyota TPMS lights are programmed to come on below 34psi.

My 2012 Corolla LE gets 39 in the front and 35 in the rear.

Too much is the maximum listed on the sidewall. I would argue that 38 is also too much. Sometimes a couple cold psi over the door can be helpful but 38 cold is way high. Try 32 cold psi

At 38 psi cold, that tire is probably around 42 psi hot, so I think that tire has a maximum cold pressure of 44 psi. No way I would run that much air in my tires because of pot holes.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Generally speaking....Toyota TPMS lights are programmed to come on below 34psi.

My 2012 Corolla LE gets 39 in the front and 35 in the rear.

Wow. My friends' 16 LE says 32 all around in the door jam.

Originally Posted By: Corollaman
2012 corolla tire shop put 38 psi, door jam says 30 psi. How much is too much?

Originally Posted By: BigD1
At 38 psi cold, that tire is probably around 42 psi hot, so I think that tire has a maximum cold pressure of 44 psi. No way I would run that much air in my tires because of pot holes.

38 psi is well within tire pressure operating range ......

It means better fuel economy and agility ..... with increased harshness on suspension comfort.

I tried 38 PSI in my Corolla briefly, the ride was too harsh and I got a lot of skidding and skipping from bump to bump. I run 34 front/36 rear instead of the 32PSI on the door jam, for fuel economy.

I love it when people say "I put more in the front because the engine weight is up there." Like the tires can't support the weight of the engine down to the low 20's PSI. I adjust PSI according to desired handling. Corollas understeer. Putting a little more in the back helps balance that out.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: Corollaman
2012 corolla tire shop put 38 psi, door jam says 30 psi. How much is too much?

Originally Posted By: BigD1

38 psi is well within tire pressure operating range ......

It means better fuel economy and agility ..... with increased harshness on suspension comfort.

and wearing the center of your tread bald...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Too much is the maximum listed on the sidewall. I would argue that 38 is also too much. Sometimes a couple cold psi over the door can be helpful but 38 cold is way high. Try 32 cold psi

This....if the sidewall says 44psi, no worries. But if it's max 35psi then yes they're overfilled.

Some cars call for a higher tire pressure. While my tires say 50 PSI max inflation of the sidewall, the decal on my doorjamb says 38 for all tires, including the spare

551568.jpg

When you get up to 18,19 and above diameter wheels with short tire sidewalls, you need more pressure. It doesn't take much deflection to take out the edge of the wheel rim that has a tire with low air. Stiffness is your friend and your wallet will thank you. On front wheel drive cars, with normally about 60% of their weight on the front tires, I normally run about +4 lbs on the front and +2 on the rear. This will also improve your steering response slightly due to less tire deflection on turn in.

Just an FYI:

Tire pressure is directly related to load carrying capacity. Different makes of cars could have the same size tires and call for different pressures because they are different weights.

Also, there is a front to rear difference in weight (Side to side, too!), and that means there may or may not be a difference in the pressure specified - BUT - the car manufacturer may or may not adjust the pressure to compensate for that difference. If they don't, you can be sure they compensate for the difference in handling by adjusting the springs, shocks, and sway bars so the car behaves predictably.

And lastly about what is written on the sidewall of a tire for maximum pressure:

Read this: Barry's Tire Tech - Load Tables

Pay particular attention to "The Notes on Page 1-34" about 1/3 of the way down the page. What you should get out of this is that for standard load passenger car tires, the maximum pressure listed is somewhat arbitrary.

So if you run your tires much above the specified inflation pressure, the car's suspension may react funny - like porpoising. I don't recommend more than 5 psi above the placard inflation pressure.

Last edited:
I run 35psi in our 2013 Corolla that says 30 on the door. Got 65k evenly worn miles out of the original tires, and would've gone further. The wife clipped a curb and punctured a sidewalk. Decided to get all 4 new at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back