MDX PCV valve design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
If its a VCM engine then yes you would be much better running synthetic without extending the OCI.

AFAIK, Acura did not put VCM on their MDX's until 2014. I have a 2010.

The non VCM isn't that hard on oil, still its has vtec so i would run a synthetic. Varnish doesn't do the system any good.
Sorry I don't follow which models they use what in anymore but you lucky not to have to have VCM, the non VCM is a much better engine by far in fact its a great engine.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
You should be able to hear it rattle, though I do concede that it's pretty faint. This is the same PCV valve design used on all Honda J-series V-6 engines. Both of mine rattle a bit when you shake them, but it's faint. They tend to not get all that fouled up. You can spray it out with parts cleaner, but they're not very expensive to begin with, so it's probably worth it to just replace it.

Old PCV valve was fine. I installed the new one because I had it, but the rattle on the new one was the same as the old one. Both muted compared to conventional valves because they are all plastic inside except for the spring. Also, the valve is not 100% unidirectional. The design allows for a minimum reverse flow which threw me off. Conventional valves only flow one way. Oh well, it was not a very expensive mistake and I learned a lot. There is a wide range on pricing so shop around. I found the best deal at Bernardi Acura on-line. Best to add valve to an order with other stuff to save on shipping cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: Trav
If its a VCM engine then yes you would be much better running synthetic without extending the OCI.

AFAIK, Acura did not put VCM on their MDX's until 2014. I have a 2010.

Correct -- Acura as a whole didn't use any VCM until the 2014 MDX and the new RDX with the V-6. The other vehicle that never got VCM was the Ridgeline, though the new 2017 model probably will.

I've had the cylinder head covers off of both of ours, and they were pretty clean. Here's the front cylinder head cover from my 2009 Ridgeline, with 100k miles on it. Oil was always Pennzoil YB or Formula Shell changed at Jiffy Lube by the previous owner.

24033521995_83a4da9d65_b.jpg

Interesting thread.
I have the 2008 V6 with VCM II. I read stories about the PCV valve causing oil consumption issues, so I removed it at 35k for an inspection. It did not click when shaken, but I believe the residual engine oil in the valve mutes the sound, as does the plastic valve body. These valves just don't click like metal ones do. Cleaned it any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back