Battery #3 for '09 Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car just kills batteries. 6.5 years and it's on battery #3. First one was the OEM 151R battery that lasted 2 years. Next was an Autocraft Silver U1RT that made it 4.5 years. It got an Autocraft Gold 151R this time around. I'm used to batteries lasting longer than 4 years. The batteries at around 320 CCA/450 CA with a 45 minute reserve are a lot smaller than I'm used to. I think my riding mower uses a larger battery, lol!

Great little car, but it sure does have some expensive tastes in batteries!

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I'd throw a FIT.

OOOOOOOOHHHH! AND THE BRONCOS BEAT THE PATRIOTS!!! (good one)
grin.gif

Might be worth getting a battery with a good warranty. A lot only do pro-rate nowadays.

That is odd for sure. Heat kills batteries much more readily than cold will. Is this battery in a hot spot on this car? It's possible one of those batteries had a defect too I suppose..

How about a $48 Walmart battery, that way if it kills it every 3 years, who cares? It's only $48.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
How about a $48 Walmart battery, that way if it kills it every 3 years, who cares? It's only $48.

They might not make it in this itty bitty size.

Larger Hondas, like the CRV, have enough to room to upsize to a 24F battery. It requires a larger battery tray, but it may still be possible for your Fit. The 24F has reversed polarity like the 51R, so the cables aren't an issue. If there are Fit forums, you may find out more there.

Do you have any aftermarket electronics, or any modifications to the car that might put a slow draw on the battery? Ambulances and police cars and the like deal with this issue often.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
????

Our batteries last 6-7 years but we are in a warm climate.

Orlando is considered a hot climate.

I was told by a Florida native that the heat is worse on a battery than the cold.

The battery on my 2012 Accord just died last week, put in a Ever Start Maxx by Johnson Control (51R with 500 CCA)

This battery is wedged in between the wheel well and the airbox. There's no way to shoehorn in a 24F. Somebody tried. They couldn't get anything larger to sit flat in the tray. This car's designed to take that specific size battery, alas.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Larger Hondas, like the CRV, have enough to room to upsize to a 24F battery. It requires a larger battery tray, but it may still be possible for your Fit. The 24F has reversed polarity like the 51R, so the cables aren't an issue. If there are Fit forums, you may find out more there.

This is a 151R, not a 51R. I wish it were a 51R so we could get the $70 Costco 51R. Instead of the $110 (after discount) AAP Autocraft Gold 151R. I wish it didn't eat batteries like candy, either...

The car does see a lot of short trips these days. I'm planning on putting the new battery onto a battery tender every weekend to keep it topped off. That way it's sort of compensating for the short tripping it does all week.

Uh how long do you expect a battery to last in the florida heat? None of that seems excessive to me.

Couple things that might worsen the problem:
1. Not fully charging/lots of starting and short trips/idle.
2. Alternator overvoltage causing eventual loss of electrolyte.
3. Bad diode in alt putting out A/C voltage which will shorten batt life.

You can buy a battery tender if you want. Might help. I have a $20 from amazon that works well.

You realize the 8 year batteries don't last longer, right? You're just buying more warranty.

Also buying too much CCA will worsen the problem.

My 12.5 years old S2000 is on the third battery, I bought Optima Yellow 51 last summer.

The OEM battery lasted 6.5 years, the replacement was low end Interstate(I paid $60 for it) but it lasted 5.5 years. The garage I bought it told me the same battery is $110 now.

There isn't room in the S2000 for larger than size 51.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back