THIS is how to buy tires (if you have free time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a set of USA made, premium all season tires (Michelin PREMIER A/S - 205/55R16 91V) for a total of $641 installed w/ road hazard. Plus I will have $116 in free shopping at Sears/Kmart. How you ask? Read on!

I have ample free time to do lots of price research as well as coupons and such. I found that Sears, of all retailers, had the BEST possible deal on (USA made) Michelin Premier A/S tires in stock 205/55R16. I need a set of 4. Two of my tires are worn out and the other two have very poor wet traction. I almost always spin the wheels taking off from a stop when the ground is wet. Living in the Pacific Northwest, it's downright dangerous to have tires like that. I find myself always gritting my teeth when going around corners for fear of tire slippage.

First of all, the tires themselves are currently priced $129.49 each on sale. That's cheaper than TireRack, but higher than Discount Tire by $9. However, this is offset by the next thing....

Second, I found a $35 off coupon with "Shop your way rewards" on a $300+ purchase from Sears. (This brought the tires down to $120.94 each, matching Discount Tire's $121 price)

Third, I ordered them for pickup/installation in Oregon where there is 0% sales tax. (Not something everyone can do, but that was about a $65 savings for me.)

Fourth, Sears is doing an apparently unadvertised massive combined total of $110 in "bonus points" for Shop Your Way rewards on automotive products like tires as well as services such as balancing, etc on top of the standard $6.42 and some change for buying the tires themselves and whatever else they counted as merchandise. I found it by adding 4 tires to part and checking total out the door pricing with installation. The bonus points must be spent within a 90 day period or they are lost, but that's easy enough to do. With another hefty $20-35 coupon, I may get a $300ish sale priced TV for close to half price with the points+coupon.

Fifth, I put them on my new 1.5% cash back credit card with a 0% APR intro rate through Sept 2016. I'll be paid off before interest kicks in. This adds a $9.62 "rebate" of sorts that I can redeem later.

So, out the door price I paid up front for four tires ($483.76), installation (free), "90 day balancing" ($47.96), 4 new rubber valve stems ($11.16), old tire disposal ($8), Road Hazard ($90.72), 0% sales tax, the total came out to $641.60.

Taking into account the $116.42 in rewards points on future purchases within 90 days from any Sears or Kmart, (they can be split between multiple stores and multiple transactions), it drops the price to $524.58.

Then taking into account also, the 1.5% ($9.62) cash back bonus (with 0% interest), it drops the price to $514.96.

I will have to use a tank of gas and a day's time to go get them, but $25 in gas vs $65 in 9.5% sales tax? It's obvious which is the better option since I have all the free time in the world. Adding $20-25 back to the price, it brings the price back up to $540. But, that averages the price of each tire to $135 with installation & road hazard. Not too shabby!! :mrgreen:

The absurd $48 "90 day balance" seems to be the mandatory minimum, unless you want your tires to feel octagon shaped anyway. The system asks you: "Do you want your tires balanced?". The three options are:
- 90 day balance for $48
- Lifetime balance for $68
- "No thanks"

Since a tire generally needs balancing ONCE, unless it's removed from the rim, the extra $20 for "lifetime balancing" is probably a waste of money. Unless they are going to slam me with balancing fees on road hazard claims.. hm, I didn't think about that. Well here's hoping I don't ever need to make a claim on road hazard. I consider it an insurance policy on my tires. When you pay for insurance, you really hope you never need to use it since it means something horrible went wrong and when it comes to tires, it could be dangerous. I'd rather have some recourse for repair, replacement or at least a deep discount on a replacement. Road hazard for all 4 tires for $90 is cheaper than ONE replacement tire at full price, so I figure it's worth the insurance.

While I kind of hated to run up $640 on my new credit card, I couldn't pass up the pricing on such good tires with the coupon and rewards with 0% interest. It'll be paid off before the 24% interest kicks in. (I have a big black mark on my credit, so I'm working on rebuilding it)

Here is the screenshot just prior to finishing checking out, with the prices/points highlighted:
how_to_buy_tires.jpg

I have found tires need to be re-balanced from time to time for the smoothest possible ride.

Maybe not so with Super tires like Michelin.

Seems like the pickup in Oregon is a little over kill for the savings.

Congrats on your purchase.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
I have found tires need to be re-balanced from time to time for the smoothest possible ride.

Oh? Well, maybe I should have opted for the extra $20. I can see always see if they will upgrade me to that (for the extra cost, of course) when I go in to get the installation done.

Perhaps for most people it's overkill to drive 300 miles round trip, but saving $50 even after cost of gas is worth the day long trip for me since I am disabled and don't have a job to report in to. I'm usually sitting at home at the computer doing much of nothing. My car gets 30+ hwy mpg and could use a good highway workout since it sits a lot mostly.

Originally Posted By: Cubey
Originally Posted By: CKN

Oh? Well, maybe I should have opted for the extra $20. I can see always see if they will upgrade me to that (for the extra cost, of course) when I go in to get the installation done.

Perhaps for most people it's overkill to drive 300 miles round trip, but saving $50 even after cost of gas is worth the day long trip for me since I am disabled and don't have a job to report in to. I'm usually sitting at home at the computer doing much of nothing. My car gets 30+ hwy mpg and could use a good highway workout since it sits a lot mostly.
I work in a sears auto center and 98% of ppl chose the lifetime balance. so when you come in to rotate your tires you can have them balanced each time for free for the life of the tire at no charge. and when you come in for a road hazzard claim the tire is balanced no matter matter what if the tire is repaired.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Sears is the king of rip off i had to many bad experiences with sears to ever buy there again.

I bought a set of 16" LT truck tires (which I had mounted on a bare set of steel 16" rims) for a camper van from Sears and they did a fine job. They made an honest mistake and charge me for tire disposal when I kept the old 16.5" tires, still mounted the old 16.5" rims. When I returned a few days later, they politely apologized and promptly gave me a cash refund for the disposal cost.

I would check out Sam's Club. I just got four 90,000 mile Michelin 15 inch tires for a corolla for about 498 out the door with an instant rebate. The last 80,000 mile Michelin tires on that car went out to almost 90,000 miles so totally worth it in my book.
Originally Posted By: Cubey
I just bought a set of USA made, premium all season tires (Michelin PREMIER A/S - 205/55R16 91V) for a total of $641 installed w/ road hazard. Plus I will have $116 in free shopping at Sears/Kmart. How you ask? Read on!

I have ample free time to do lots of price research as well as coupons and such. I found that Sears, of all retailers, had the BEST possible deal on (USA made) Michelin Premier A/S tires in stock 205/55R16. I need a set of 4. Two of my tires are worn out and the other two have very poor wet traction. I almost always spin the wheels taking off from a stop when the ground is wet. Living in the Pacific Northwest, it's downright dangerous to have tires like that. I find myself always gritting my teeth when going around corners for fear of tire slippage.

First of all, the tires themselves are currently priced $129.49 each on sale. That's cheaper than TireRack, but higher than Discount Tire by $9. However, this is offset by the next thing....

Second, I found a $35 off coupon with "Shop your way rewards" on a $300+ purchase from Sears. (This brought the tires down to $120.94 each, matching Discount Tire's $121 price)

Third, I ordered them for pickup/installation in Oregon where there is 0% sales tax. (Not something everyone can do, but that was about a $65 savings for me.)

Fourth, Sears is doing an apparently unadvertised massive combined total of $110 in "bonus points" for Shop Your Way rewards on automotive products like tires as well as services such as balancing, etc on top of the standard $6.42 and some change for buying the tires themselves and whatever else they counted as merchandise. I found it by adding 4 tires to part and checking total out the door pricing with installation. The bonus points must be spent within a 90 day period or they are lost, but that's easy enough to do. With another hefty $20-35 coupon, I may get a $300ish sale priced TV for close to half price with the points+coupon.

Fifth, I put them on my new 1.5% cash back credit card with a 0% APR intro rate through Sept 2016. I'll be paid off before interest kicks in. This adds a $9.62 "rebate" of sorts that I can redeem later.

So, out the door price I paid up front for four tires ($483.76), installation (free), "90 day balancing" ($47.96), 4 new rubber valve stems ($11.16), old tire disposal ($8), Road Hazard ($90.72), 0% sales tax, the total came out to $641.60.

Taking into account the $116.42 in rewards points on future purchases within 90 days from any Sears or Kmart, (they can be split between multiple stores and multiple transactions), it drops the price to $524.58.

Then taking into account also, the 1.5% ($9.62) cash back bonus (with 0% interest), it drops the price to $514.96.

I will have to use a tank of gas and a day's time to go get them, but $25 in gas vs $65 in 9.5% sales tax? It's obvious which is the better option since I have all the free time in the world. Adding $20-25 back to the price, it brings the price back up to $540. But, that averages the price of each tire to $135 with installation & road hazard. Not too shabby!! :mrgreen:

The absurd $48 "90 day balance" seems to be the mandatory minimum, unless you want your tires to feel octagon shaped anyway. The system asks you: "Do you want your tires balanced?". The three options are:
- 90 day balance for $48
- Lifetime balance for $68
- "No thanks"

Since a tire generally needs balancing ONCE, unless it's removed from the rim, the extra $20 for "lifetime balancing" is probably a waste of money. Unless they are going to slam me with balancing fees on road hazard claims.. hm, I didn't think about that. Well here's hoping I don't ever need to make a claim on road hazard. I consider it an insurance policy on my tires. When you pay for insurance, you really hope you never need to use it since it means something horrible went wrong and when it comes to tires, it could be dangerous. I'd rather have some recourse for repair, replacement or at least a deep discount on a replacement. Road hazard for all 4 tires for $90 is cheaper than ONE replacement tire at full price, so I figure it's worth the insurance.

While I kind of hated to run up $640 on my new credit card, I couldn't pass up the pricing on such good tires with the coupon and rewards with 0% interest. It'll be paid off before the 24% interest kicks in. (I have a big black mark on my credit, so I'm working on rebuilding it)

Here is the screenshot just prior to finishing checking out, with the prices/points highlighted:
how_to_buy_tires.jpg

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
It could never figure out Sears pricing,no matter what i purchased some one i new got it cheaper from a different Sears store.

Sears Auto where I am is a clown show. Hopefully it isn't like that everywhere.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
It could never figure out Sears pricing,no matter what i purchased some one i new got it cheaper from a different Sears store.

Maybe it had to do with their "Shop Your Way" rewards. When pricing tires, they were identical at 2 different stores in two different states. Now, things like sales tax and tire disposal fees can vary state to state due to different laws.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
costco usually balances when they rotate tires.

I considered Costco but it would have been quite a bit pricier. $513 after a $70 instant rebate, plus $60 installation, disposal fees and $55 membership. If not for the $116 in "Shop Your Way" points sweetening the deal with buying from Sears, Costco might have more sense, at $638 plus 9.5% tax -or- $20 in gas to go to Portland, like I am doing for the Sears tires.

However, $116 was too big of a price offset to ignore when I could put that to good use on other day to day needs like clothing, groceries, household goods, car stuff, or even toward a flat screen TV (which is probably where it'll go to, honestly). I'd like to replace a 30" widescreen CRT that is still nice, but takes up a gob of space for itself and the bulky stand it sits on. I only have so much room this apartment, so an LCD/LED TV mounted on an otherwise useless wall, due to a long baseboard heater, would save valuable floor space.

I did just notice though, $10 of that expires January 30, so I need to go buy something for at least $10 so it doesn't go to waste. You have to watch those special points things with very small windows sometimes.

Sadly, you can't use rewards points to buy gift cards, otherwise I'd load them on a card to save them for a longer period. I have 3 months to decide on the $100 worth though, so no immediate hurry on redeeming them. It's just the separate $10 worth that had a 1 week lifespan. I live just a few miles from a Kmart so I'll go over there on Monday and pick up a can of coffee or something like that. Something I normally buy anyway, so the money that would be spent on the goods can be used to chisel down the credit card balance for the tires.

I say good for you. You are getting a good price on tires AND you have a nice little road trip in your future.

I remember when I was in the Army stationed at Ft. Devens MA (lived in Pepperell MA)whenever we had any purchases to make we always drove to Nashua NH because of the sales tax savings.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
I work in a sears auto center and 98% of ppl chose the lifetime balance. so when you come in to rotate your tires you can have them balanced each time for free for the life of the tire at no charge. and when you come in for a road hazzard claim the tire is balanced no matter matter what if the tire is repaired.

No offense to you personally as I'm sure there are good techs at some Sears, but I will not let a Sears Auto Center touch my vehicle. My last experience with Sears Auto about four years ago had me with five out of 20 lug nuts cross-threaded after they performed my free tire rotation. Three of the cross-threaded lug nuts were on one wheel. I didn't find it until about 2 weeks later. Drove around like that for days. They did fix their problem, but I never got even as much as an, "we're sorry." I will never spend another penny with Sears Auto. Tech was too lazy to hand start the lug nuts; just hit them with the air wrench destroying lugs and lug nuts in the process.

Family members ask me why I do a lot of my own automotive work like tire rotations (now). I just smile. I'm very picky who touches my cars now and I ALWAYS check their work (now).

For the OP, I hope your Sears Auto experience is head and shoulders above mine. Good luck.

Tire is $133.94 at walmart.com
free ship to store plus $15 per tire installation with LIFETIME and road harzard (I am guessing from my last dealing with them few years back)

you pay $595 plus tax installed.

and I think you can take a rebate now for 4 tires with Michelin, that should bring it down to $530?

I try to avoid dealing with sears.

All that work, and you're still going to end up with a set of Michelin tires.

Oh well, best of luck with that.

Nice deal. My issue is I have trouble finding stuff I need at Sears to spend the points on at the lowest net price, plus a 40 minute round trip means I'm not going for small stuff.

Next time use a bounce site like SavingStar, Fatwallet, Ebates, BeFrugal, etc. to get another couple of percent off...right now SavingsStar is 5% off according to cashbackmonitor.com.

I spent several hrs surfing for a deal. I ended up with a set of 2.15 60 r16 Altimax R 43s for 580 something. Mounted balanced soup to nuts. Least hassle with a known shop, this is my 3rd set of tires purchased from Town Fair's Hanover MA store. Did I pay rock bottom? No, but the place is 10 miles away . I made the appointment on line and they called me to confirm it. Service counts.
grin2.gif

I get the best pricing possible on tires from all the major players (Sears included), then take that best offer to my tire installer/dealer who beats them all by 5%. Everything else is free except alignment ($49). No delivery or shipping fees. Then you apply for the $70 Michelin rebate. If there was already a $70 rebate applied in the earlier quotes (usually the case), that's double coupons. I don't think I'd have the patience to keep on all those Sears stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back