In-car footage of my M3 at Autobahn Country Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest watching at 1080p60 with nice speakers or headphones if possible.

Camera setup is a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver stuck to the sunroof and a cheap Audio-Technica lapel mic taped to the rear bumper (so most of what you hear is exhaust noise).

This was from one of the later sessions in the afternoon, so the car had already seen 90+ minutes of track time earlier that day. The sessions were 30 minutes long and on ABCC's full circuit: 3.56 miles long with the longest straight being 1,850 feet, or 1/3 of a mile. I was easily able to do 120+ on the straight sections in my stock M3.

I suggest jumping forward to around 14:30 when things start getting very fun. I start chasing a 911 Turbo, M5, C63 Black Series, and some other formidable cars (there's plenty of other cool stuff earlier though, like an original Dodge Viper). Unfortunately, my stock brakes completely gave out afterwards -- the pads melted and glazed the rotors. They were the original pads and rotors with about 65,000 miles on them, a true testament to the durability of the OEM system!

Once the brakes gave out I tried to take it easy for a few laps but was getting tons of grinding noises from them and they just felt really sketchy right before they gave out a second time. I retired for the day and decided to save some pad and rotor for the drive home.

This was the first truly punishing track day for the car and I must say that it really showed itself to live up to the reputation as a benchmark in the class. It was very predictable and I never once felt uneasy. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires didn't get too greasy despite having a lot of miles on them, either. The motor was more than happy to wind out to 8400rpm and oil temps held steady right around 250 F throughout the session.

Since the rotors and pads were shot, I've since ordered a StopTech big brake kit and will be installing it this spring when I take the car out of storage. From a cost perspective, it wasn't a whole lot more than new OEM rotors and pads, and with this I am getting the added security of improved cooling and thicker (longer-wearing) rotors. The ST40 caliper uses a common Porsche pad shape for which there is an immense selection of compounds. It also shaves a few pounds of unsprung weight from each corner.

Big shout-out to the group at Laps Inc for a smoothly-run event. No one wrecked, no one broke anything, and we all had a great time.

st83-342-4600-51_main.jpg

Autobahn%20full%20circuit%20map.jpg

Beautiful exhaust noises and great driving! Thanks for posting and good to see you around here again!

Pretty hard to identify some of the cars while you're blasting past them.
crackmeup2.gif

That's the thing I always remember and loved about my old E30 325is and E39 M5. Race cars with leather.

Ha, thanks for the comments. My confidence and skill out there has gone up immensely since I went to Bondurant last year for some instruction. Really anxious for April to roll around so I can get back out on the track and hammer on those new brakes!

For those local to the area, the 2016 schedule is out: http://lapsincorporated.com/

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

At times you were in a traffic jam of slower cars.

Unfortunately it does happen, even on a huge track like this one. In general, people were good about giving a point-by. It does no good to NOT give the point-by; when someone is right behind you for more than a minute or so, it makes you self-conscious and more likely to do something stupid. Also, if you have someone behind you and there's some sort of problem (you spin, brakes fail, etc), you're guaranteed to cause a pretty bad accident at speed.

It really is safer to just let the "faster" car go by. These aren't timed and there's no trophy, so the only thing that's hurt is your pride.

And sometimes there are just "slower" cars because people are inexperienced, don't know that track, etc. The clubs encourage anyone to attend regardless of experience.

Awesome there sir
smile.gif

You really did a great job driving the track.. Race the track first. And you certainly did that. A shame your brakes gave out on you. You drive by some strong cars only to be undone by your brakes.. Otherwise you had those cats covered. I could tell you were better from the center of the turns going off. That's where you made up ground and passed those cars. Very well done. With those new brakes you will be on a rail leaving many of those other cars behind.

Very cool!

I have one suggestion: Drop your camera a bit lower so we can see farther up ahead instead of being blocked by the RVM.

Thanks for posting. Looks like a great way to spend the weekend!

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
That must have been a beginner class in front of you.

lol, I was thinking at the beginning there when he was stuck behind all those cars, "What are we doing? Going to Sunday Morning service?"

This is one of my favorites. Alain Castellana is the driver. He is currently 63 years old. He was 56 when this video was made in 2009. Also notice no shifter paddles. His hand goes to the stick for every gear change. Most of the time he's got rocks on one side, and a cliff on the other. If he misses he's basically dead. That's a he!! of a lot of corners to memorize!

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
That must have been a beginner class in front of you. That's a nice track.

What does a day cost there?

It depends, but $300 or so is the going rate at that facility for a full day. That gives you 5-6 30 minute sessions!

Here he is in a Norma MS3 working his magic. This time he's got phone poles and Armco to deal with. I could never understand why no one picked this guy up in F1? He drives a ton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back