How often to repack front wheel bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack up car and spin the wheels, repack when needed.

Repack after going through deep water and off roading.

Cleaning and repacking of wheel bearings used to be done along with brake service. Then we invented floating rotors. With a good grease and non-abusive service I don't feel that 60k is too infrequent. The sealed front hubs/bearings on my 2001 Dakota went over 200k.

You could see if your big nut torque/ freeplay is still in spec. That would at least indicate if there's stuff goin' on.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Cleaning and repacking of wheel bearings used to be done along with brake service. Then we invented floating rotors. With a good grease and non-abusive service I don't feel that 60k is too infrequent. The sealed front hubs/bearings on my 2001 Dakota went over 200k.

This. When you have to do a brake service, repack the bearings. Check them when you do a tire rotation.

IIRC the Ford-spec valvoline has a lower operating temp. Might want to make sure its good enough for your brakes if you have disc brakes (probably is...just sayin'...)

Originally Posted By: buck91
IIRC the Ford-spec valvoline has a lower operating temp. Might want to make sure its good enough for your brakes if you have disc brakes (probably is...just sayin'...)

I would think that Ford would spec a temperature specification along with all the other things they specify for their approved greases.

I wouldn't be worried at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back