OCI for Chinese generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 4200 watt Powerforce generator with a 7hp engine, probably a Honda clone or something. It gets used maybe 3-5 hours a year, really only when the power goes out which isn't very often. I've had it a year and the oil, can't even remember what I put in it, hasn't been changed. Probably time to change it right?

As long as its run long enough to warm up.
I'd say you can easily do a 2 year OCI.

If what is in there is the original oil from new, I would say probably warm it up and change it. Then go 2 or more years on an oil change from then on.

I think that you are supposed to change the oil after the first 3-5 hours of operation, then every 50 hours after that. If it has never been changed, then you should go ahead and do that now.

Beyond that they say 50 hours or one year, whichever comes first. It would probably be safe to go two years based on your usage pattern, but don't exceed that 50 hours.

I have a Predator 4000. About four years old. New forgetting to change original fill. Seems to be a PITA

And now that I just read the manual online, I realize I never ground it when I use it.

Edit: and what is up with this from manual? I just bought a new Eagle Brand metal gas can. For long-term storage.
"note: Do not use gasoline that has been stored in a metal fuel container"

Last edited:
Your generator probably holds about a quart. That's maybe 4 bucks? Change it annually, use a syn.

I have a similar situation with my Champion 4000w unit. It only gets run for outages and I usually try to run it for 1/2 hour every month to exercise it.
I change mine once a year with Amsoil Formula 4 Stroke 10w30.

I always make sure to change out the 1st oil change early on these Chinese small engines. (1-2 hours run time) There have been many that report a lot of wear metal during break in.

Now, that's funny! A bit like saying "don't use fuel"
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr

Edit: and what is up with this from manual? I just bought a new Eagle Brand metal gas can. For long-term storage.
"note: Do not use gasoline that has been stored in a metal fuel container"

For a 5500W Champion Chinese generator:

after first 5 hours, change oil (10W30)
Every 50 hours thereafter, change oil (severe duty) or,
Every 100 hours thereafter, change oil (standard duty)
Every 100 hours thereafter, check valve lash
Every 250 hours, clean combustion chamber

I've found that the first oil change or two will be pretty glittery and full of metal on these chinese clone engine. After that I've had them hold up really well. I do the first oil change after 3-4hrs of run time and the second around 10hrs of run time, then I change it once a year and it usually looks pretty good.

Just an FYI, most of these chinese motors I have experience with are in mud motors which is about as severe of use as it gets, wide open throttle, very high load for long periods of time. Little to no warm up and no easy break in, from brand new they run WOT pushing a boat in some nasty stuff.

I run my oil changes on my densest based on runtime only.
First fill is ran up to temp, moderately heavy load for 30minutes, dump oil. Second oil change is 1hrs, then two 5hrs oci"s.
Synthetic is a best choice for generator duty. Wide temperature changes, heavy load near extreme, extended runs, etc. Synthetic on paper gives a cushion in those extremes.

Harvey

No offense but the oil will probably outlast the engine. The question should be what ECI....engine change interval....should I expect.

I've had many of the Chinese jobbies. Good value for the money as long as you understand what your buying. I wouldn't trust it for an emergency situation however. You just never know. The Champions seems really good. I have a couple that I have run the crud out of and they keep on purring.

I've had good luck with a Chicago 3500 watt generator from HF. 7hp engine. I run 0W-40 to make sure it will start easily at any time of the year. I did take out the Torch brand spark-plug for a Champion. I run it under 3/4 load for 30-45 minutes twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back