Firestone Winterforce UV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any experience with these? I have a local installer willing to put them on (only used a few miles) for $360 installed.

I'd be using them year round though, as I don't have a set of summer tires nor would I store them.

For about $410 I can get a new set of General Altimax RT43. Or I could go $390 and get a new set of Fuzion SUV.

I'm looking overall at spending a lot on what's keeping me rolling...new brakes have been ordered, and I think I need new rotors because they've never been changed. Expensive stuff. I'm looking to get the best deal possible while still getting a good tire. Thanks!

While I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies disparaging the Winterforces, they are the only dedicated winter tire out of the three you mentioned.

If winter performance is what's most important to you, they'll be your best option, though there will be obvious trade-offs in terms of traction, noise, and treadwear during the rest of the year.

While I have no experience with snow driving, I think I'd get the RT43's. New RT43's will do a lot better next winter than bald winter tires since you aren't going to get separate tires.

The Winterforce will be the best in the winter, but I think the other seasons you will see significant wear, to the point that I'm not sure you'd have the same "winter tire" benifits the following winter.

The RT43 seems to be a good all-season, and has a pretty aggressive design for snow traction. I'd go with the General.

How many miles do you expect to put on each year? If it's low enough, mileage may not matter and the better snow traction would be worth it.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Put the snows on now, then start shopping CL for a set of tires/wheels that fit for summer tires.

+1 I like this idea. I would imagine SD has it's fair share of snow and that is a good price for winter tires installed. Throw them on and figure out your all season tires in the spring

I just bought these 2 weeks ago for our Jeep Compass. Great deal on them right now at Tire Rack, and they will ship to installer of your choice (from their list).

So far, great tires. Took them on a ski trip to the Sierras, and made a point of driving through the Cabela's parking lot with about 3-6" of snow and ice. Handled very well. Some minor noise on grooved highway pavement. Corners very well, and wet pavement also does fine. Highly recommend.

Thank you for the replies everybody.

I actually found a killer deal that i snapped right away on Assurance Triple Treds for $200 installed. 7/32 left so about 60% life left but thats pretty par for what i paid. So far theyre not as glued to the road as my yokohama geolanders but they ride smoother and corner better. Have not tested on ice or snow yet.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Thank you for the replies everybody.

I actually found a killer deal that i snapped right away on Assurance Triple Treds for $200 installed. 7/32 left so about 60% life left but thats pretty par for what i paid. So far theyre not as glued to the road as my yokohama geolanders but they ride smoother and corner better. Have not tested on ice or snow yet.

They have about 40% of their life remaning.
Tires start at 11/32. I usually replace at 4/32 or so for rain/winter traction.
Snow traction decreases immensely under 6/32 as well.

I would hardly call paying 200$ for tires when you will need new ones next winter a killer deal.

The generals would have lasted 3-4 years for 2x the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back