Quick & Dirty VHS-Bluray shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a laid-off carpenter I like work with wood now with so much free time (gotta stop playing too much vidya games) so why not make something out with scrap 15/32" sheathing ply. Quick & Dirty projects, my mind comes out with a need, plan it on the fly, with available materials with little to no cost and can be done in an afternoon.

Made a laptop stand "tower" to take place of my gaming computer. Wire layout stays the same so it does not become a jumbled mess and connectors go back at the same ports.

"The Macbook Tower of Power" Mid 2010 Macbook still has decent horsepower for internet browsing, 720p and the occasional 1080p video and can run 10 year old games decently.
vuutfkn.jpg

My cutlist would require 8ft of ply cut 4.5in and ripped into 2ft pieces. Scrap pile came out short so a quick trip to HomeDepot and $17 picked up a sheet of 15/32 sheathing.
v5akDJ4.jpg

Set fence at 4.5" + 1.5" and clamp at ends. The 1.5" is the distance between the saw blade and the base plate.
m7S5Sfp.jpg

I hate left handed saws.
2VF9WEq.jpg

Mark orientation of pieces on the junk side and assemble. The triangular pieces were from the scrap pile. I took a squarish piece and cut it diagonally. Nicked the wood too much using a framing hammer but this isn't a Slow & Neat project. Plus it was getting dark.
qNFXyvW.jpg

The shelf assembled. Now to put the end pieces on.
kCaj4MG.jpg

Just eyeball the angle. I want the shelf to lean back a bit so I tilt it a bit.
NuVvzzf.jpg

Now to copy the angle to the other end. I used the edges of the shelf to create landmarks onto the other endpiece so it comes out stable enough. Then nail everything down. Tip: Use the same nail as a drill bit by snipping off the head to pre-drill holes before nailing. It cuts down on bent nails since the weight of the framing hammer I used easily bends the nail.
iATq79X.jpg

All done. Completion time two hours.
manWFvU.jpg

Up on my bedroom shelf and now my Dragonball Z VHS and Blu-Ray collection can go on there. Holds approx. 48 tapes.
2h5Swo2.jpg

I did a quick &Dirty shelf myself a few months back when i was running out of DVD/BLU-Ray Storage.
bought a stack of 6' 1"x6"'s, built a 6'x6' square, with a Shelf every 8"
Still in the basement at the moment, but I should have enough shelf space for the next couple years...

IMG_20160123_110318425.jpg

sat it on a couple 2x12 off-cuts from my uncle's deck for "feet"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back