Ford Focus weak / no heat at idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone my moms 09 focus lost heat while idling. The car warms up quickly to operating temp via scan tool but heat is non existent until it's revved up. Heater core hoses are cold until revved up to. While driving heater works ok not as hot as in the past but it's warm. I say water pump step dad says thermostat any opinions.

Low on coolant / air bubble. You need to take the cap off and burp the system. This car can take a while to burp, and you might need to gas it a bit to help work out any bubbles. Then let the car cool and top up the coolant. Repeat until heat works.

Scan tools don't diagnose cooling systems
21.gif

while your refilling it, be sure to look for leaks. it likely has one somewhere, likely the plastic portions of the radiator.

No leaks checked for that also a scan tool is used to accurately read engine temperature. It's also not low on coolant.

Could be a vacuum issue also - since it puts out cold air when idling and hot/warm air when running at higher rpms.

Did you try bleeding the system from start to finish with a spill free funnel?

You've gotta turn the heater control to high temperature, low fan speed, then bleed until the cooling fan comes on and no more bubbles in the funnel

No CEL with a P0128?

If you've done these two, I'd be included to start with a thermostat and flush the system before looking at the water pump

Genuine Motorcraft part, will ya?

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
Flush out the heater core.Google chris fix he is on you tube.there are a least 10 sites on the subject on you tube.

+1
This is a problem generic to some Ford models.
I've seen it with our old Focus and we see it in the Tauruses in the fleet at work.
Backflush the heater core and output should be restored.
Why this should be I have no idea, since there is no heater control valve and coolant is thus cycled through the heater core all of the time.

Heater core is just a good place to settle.

Heater inlet hose will not get warm because the hot coolant won't even find its way up there while it is plugged. This is the same reason why the upper radiator hose will stay cool on an engine that has an inlet thermostat.

Look up the Honda heater core CLR bucket flush. This was actually the official fix by Honda for their core plugging issues, but will work for any heater core plugging.

If this problem did not arise from cooling system neglect and is just a natural fault of the cooling system design, I would highly recommend you install a coolant filter into your system.

Even doing a proper flush, these problems have a way of continuing to return again and again. I see it far too often.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If the heater core was plugged the inlet hose would be hot

You mean Outlet.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If the heater core was plugged the inlet hose would be hot

You mean Outlet.

Oops... I misread it.

Replaced the water pump. I now have hot heat going to the heater core but the outlet hose is not hot. I know coolant is getting into the core because the evaporator temp sensor is 150 degrees or so. The car warms up quickly and stays in operating temp. The old water pump was seeping at the seal and the bearing has a little play. When you rev the car up the heater gets hot and the heater hoses are hot and very warm. But when you let it go back to idle the heater immediately starts getting colder.

Since you replaced the water pump you probably have air in the system. Also make sure the coolant is topped off.

Coolant is fun and there's no air I used a coolant vacuum pump just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back