OCI/Turbo charger-Carbon deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2016 Ford Escape with the 2.0L iceboats engine has a oil life monitor but I'm not happy with the idea of a monitor telling me when I should change the oil with direct injection and a turbo charger.I planned on doing 6k then a oil change but I hear that 5K would be much better.I do mostly highway between 60-75 mph.Opinions would be greatful.Joe

I just bought a 16' Escape but opted for the 2.5 NA because of a bad experience with a Cruze 1.4T. I would have gotten the 2.0 over the 1.6 because the 2.0 has a timing chain and the 1.6 has a belt. I would do a few 5K OCI's and send in a UOA and go from there (you will probably be able to extend out to at least 7.5K using a quality synthetic).

What do you mean by 'iceboats'? ....I just realized you meant 'ecoboost'... I think

Last edited:
Go to www.gf-6.com and read the article about turbocharged direct injected engines and the challenges they pose for oil formulators.
Starting with 5k oil changes and UOAs you can formulate a plan that suits your engine and it'll all be good. TGDI engines are a joy to drive - enjoy yours!

I feel your di woes. However, shortening an oci to avoid valve deposit isn't something I would do. Most volatility happens in the first part, and after the volatile part of oil is gone, it's gone. Find a stable oil and run it as long as serviceable. My
49.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm

What do you mean by 'iceboats'? ....I just realized you meant 'ecoboost'... I think

Has to be autocorrect.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Go to www.gf-6.com and read the article about turbocharged direct injected engines and the challenges they pose for oil formulators.
Starting with 5k oil changes and UOAs you can formulate a plan that suits your engine and it'll all be good. TGDI engines are a joy to drive - enjoy yours!

Agreed; UOAs indicate that M1 5W-30 is good for up to 10k miles in my MS3.

What is scary at www.gf-6.com ( for me at least) is the soot levels in the oil ,which appears to eat timing chains in some engines.
MCompact, I think Mazda uses top quality chains as you have had good luck with your MS3.
In my Ecoboost pickups timing chains are an issue so I flush the soot out every 4K and use A3 oils as well. I wish Blackstone could give soot levels; if they did, I'd stretch my OCIs out a bit if they found the soot contamination at an acceptable level. Just don't relish having to hang chains on an Ecoboost....

Follow the OCI monitor. The manufacturers spend millions in engineering. Father knows best so to speak. Just follow the monitor. OCIs in the manual and the monitor are already on the conservative side of the equation. Your driving all highway miles which is very very easy on a power train. Relax my friend.

oci's are at the progressive end in europe though. Only adviseable to follow the oci if the car is not kept beyond 100k miles and if driven easy miles..

Originally Posted By: ToadU
Follow the OCI monitor. The manufacturers spend millions in engineering. Father knows best so to speak. Just follow the monitor. OCIs in the manual and the monitor are already on the conservative side of the equation. Your driving all highway miles which is very very easy on a power train. Relax my friend.

No they don't spend millions.
lol.gif
Look how many times those intervals have had to be shortened when the engines developed sludge problems.
VW, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, GM and others have all screwed the pooch in an attempt to appear low maintenance or because of optimistic OLM algorithms.

The engineers have little to do with setting the OCI, they may give the initial recommendation but the marketing dept takes it from there. Engineers would be hard pressed to recommend more than 5K for an engine OCI without knowing the operating parameters of the individual engine.
DI and turbochargers can be very hard on engine oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back