NEWBIES FIRST QUESTION--BEST OIL FOR USE WITH ALKY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Gang
Newbie here to this forum--don't want to search all day--want to know what is good oil to run with alky in sbc drag motor--I know that many Love the Brad Penn--I am not paying $6 qt for anything unless it is from an oak barrel in KY
I have been using Kendal GT1 20wx50 / Conoco I guess with very good results--can get that stuff at local distributor for about $37/case 12 qts so I am happy with that but wondered

Is it decent oil?
Is there something better?
Not interested in thin oil HP gains I gots Plenty o HP!

I have a great tune up and do not "milk" oil -- I am not going to drain and boil oil--
Have been draining at the end of each race day --oil looks lighter but no big dilution going on etc looks pretty darn good just a little lighter color--

Been using the NAPA/WIX race filter because it has a strong can Is that good enough? Am I missing something way better?

Please chime in if you have experience in this arena
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I would stick to what your doing if you don't want to open your wallet for a botique oil sounds like it's working now.

How much money do you have wrapped up in your engine? Your getting a deal to obtain a case of 12 quarts for $37. But in reality, good luck finding something better for $6.00 a quart. I very much like that Kendall uses titanium in many of it's oils and Kendall 20W50 has higher zinc and phosphorus content appropriate for older engines, modified or not.

I run roller cam so that makes big diff just wanted to know that the Kendal was not junk
I am happy as can be so far---all my fellow racers love the Brad Penn and it seems to provide fantastic protection and alky does not bother it at all but with the volume of oil we go through I just am not spending that kind of loot--we race exhibition only anyway so ..I have a 60's era front engine dragster
I am in the camp that if you have undiluted oil in the engine you are good to go

Originally Posted By: dusterdave173
I run roller cam so that makes big diff just wanted to know that the Kendal was not junk
I am happy as can be so far---all my fellow racers love the Brad Penn and it seems to provide fantastic protection and alky does not bother it at all but with the volume of oil we go through I just am not spending that kind of loot--we race exhibition only anyway so ..I have a 60's era front engine dragster
I am in the camp that if you have undiluted oil in the engine you are good to go

Nope, Kendall isn't junk. It's a fine product. It's not the same Kendall many grew up with- as you've noted, it's now owned/produced by Conoco Phillips, but still a fine product.

It wouldn't hurt to send a sample off for analysis to see what your fuel dilution is and if viscosity has taken a hit- but if you're content with the results, then definitely not necessary.

Welcome to the world of oil knowledge. You will get many differing opinions. Some will swear by boutique oils, some will swear by over the counter oils. I myself don't race but I know folks who do. They all use good name brand oil from Mobil 1 to Valvoline, Kendall and so forth. NONE have had lubrication failures and been running these products for years. I'm talking about wheel standing, side wall shriveling cars, not toys. In my not so professional opinion, Stick with what you are using now. If you are having good results, Don't change a thing. P.S. I also know a guy who races these little winged cars with crotch rocket motors and he is on his 3rd season with untouched engine running Kendall 10/40.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: dusterdave173

Nope, Kendall isn't junk. It's a fine product. It's not the same Kendall many grew up with- as you've noted, it's now owned/produced by Conoco Phillips, but still a fine product.

It wouldn't hurt to send a sample off for analysis to see what your fuel dilution is and if viscosity has taken a hit- but if you're content with the results, then definitely not necessary.

After Conoco Phillips bought the Kendall oil name, the refinery that used to make Kendall oil started making...

(drum roll, please)

Brad Penn!

You are correct sir! I believe an investment group bought the refinery and operates it. Not sure if the formulations are similar to the "old" Kendall lubes, or if that went with Conoco Phillips when they bought the name.

I wouldn't mess with it, especially since you are dumping it after each race day.

As we all know, alky likes to get into the oil one way or another, even with a good tune up. The stuff eats bearings if left in too long, so just get it out of there.

I'd even venture to say that Super Tech 15w40 would be just fine in your situation and would help on the cost side, maybe, but $37/12qts is a great price for a good oil.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
You are correct sir! I believe an investment group bought the refinery and operates it. Not sure if the formulations are similar to the "old" Kendall lubes, or if that went with Conoco Phillips when they bought the name.

My recollection is that Brad Penn oils were very close to the Kendall formulations, and the C-P Kendall became a standard corporate blend. Since it has been many years, Brad Penn's formulations have probably evolved away from what was once Kendall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back