Check Your Tire Pressure After Getting Them R&B

Status
Not open for further replies.
The factory psi spec'd for my tires is 38 psi. I usually run 36 psi.
It was very cold here in CenLa. yesterday, Friday 1/22/16 (36* with a real feel of 22*). I had to go to Walgreens to pick up my meds and noticed my TPMS light had come on. When I got back home I looked at all of the tires and none were low or were flat. I waited about an hour then checked them with a gauge and it read 28 psi in each tire. I added air to each tire to reach 36 psi per tire. I then took a test ride and didn't get no more than a 1/4 mile and the TPMS light went off. When it warms up later this week (mid to upper 70's) I will check them again.
Last week I had to go to Baton Rouge. While I was there I had Tire Kingdom rotate and balance my tires, being I bought them there and had the lifetime R&B. I also asked the tire tech to check for 36 psi in each tire. Just goes to show you that you can't trust everyone and/or he was too lazy to check the psi.

CHECK YOUR TIRES AIR PRESSURE!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

I actually set my tire pressures overnight cold before I get them rotated and or balanced. I tell them I already checked the pressure so skip it, and they are happy to do so. Mt CX5 specs 34 psig but, I round up to 35#Ed

Yes! I always do!

Thanks for the reminder & getting it out to everyone.
thumbsup2.gif

Never expect a low paid tire tech to have any pride in his job.

When you got a ton of tires to mount, balance and rotate.... Checking tire pressure is the very last thing he will do.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
36 psi put in atyre a week ago, in a heated workspace?

it could've dropped 8 psi just because of lower temperature.

This. You had them check the tires after driving. If you wanted the proper pressure after driving, the tech would have had to put 40-42 psi in your tires. That would get you back to the 36 psi cold pressure that you want.

You probably should be using the factory 38 psi for the tires, at least in winter since temps and pressures can fluctuate so much.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
36 psi put in atyre a week ago, in a heated workspace?

it could've dropped 8 psi just because of lower temperature.

This. You had them check the tires after driving. If you wanted the proper pressure after driving, the tech would have had to put 40-42 psi in your tires. That would get you back to the 36 psi cold pressure that you want.

You probably should be using the factory 38 psi for the tires, at least in winter since temps and pressures can fluctuate so much.

My truck sat for about 1-1/2 hours before they drove it about 200' into the garage. There is NO way the tires will heat up in that small amount of rolling. Then they have to set the lift, remove the tires, and balance them. Throughout that whole procedure I did not see him touch any of my valve stems!
So, what do we learn from this? The lazy tech DID NOT check the air pressure and after our first cold spell the air pressure was wrong and went down farther to make the TPMS light come on!
Believe me, if I had my own balancing machine I would NEVER go to a tire store! Oh, and another moral to this story; if you want something done correct, do it yourself! (In this case anyway!)

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Has Deflategate taught us nothing?

Ummm...that cheaters sometimes prosper???
;^)

I thought it was more along the lines of people who don't know science are doomed to suffer the consequences.

Why do people refuse to check/rotate/inflate their own tyres? It would save money and stop all the moaning about how the idiot tech. did it wrong...

Originally Posted By: Olas
Why do people refuse to check/rotate/inflate their own tyres? It would save money and stop all the moaning about how the idiot tech. did it wrong...

Olas, I once did all that type of work you stated, and much more, before I became disabled.
When I stated that "I" inflated my tires and checked them, it was actually my g/f that did it all. I can't.

Im sorry, I didn't know you were disabled and I hope I didn't cause any offence.
Are there any shops in your area that allow you into the work area while your car is in there?
I fee like I've seen a lot of posts recently abut how a shop messed up on one thing or the other and I immediately assumed this was more of the same. I should have used the words "where possible" in the original post.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Im sorry, I didn't know you were disabled and I hope I didn't cause any offence.
Are there any shops in your area that allow you into the work area while your car is in there?
I fee like I've seen a lot of posts recently abut how a shop messed up on one thing or the other and I immediately assumed this was more of the same. I should have used the words "where possible" in the original post.

It's ok Olas. You didn't know.
smile.gif

The shop I went to is where I bought my tires in late 2012. They still have at least 60-70% tread left on them. They are rated AA, 640 tread wear rating, 65K mile warranty.
The shop has a huge bay window you can look through while the techs are working. But, it's a tire store paying tire jockeys minimum wage. They might figure "Why work so hard for little money?" Or, the tech might have had a bad day with things on his mind, bothering him.
21.gif

But, it's all good my friend!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Yeah I don't trust tire shops with my tire pressure unless I pull my car up to the tire refill station and the machine beeps when it hits the pressure.

My dad had a 2500HD Silverado diesel and it called for 65 psi front and 80 psi rear. He took it into Discount Tire and had them rotate/balance/set pressure and I checked them when we got back and there was a front tire at 60 psi, another at 65 psi, a rear tire at 80 psi, and the other rear tire at 65 psi.

He was pulling his 10,000 pound gooseneck trailer the next day 250 miles on the highway, I'm sure it wouldn't have driven very nicely.

I just checked all of ours yesterday.

Last month I was chatting with one of our young engineers that purchased a new 370Z almost a year ago (nice car BTW). He indicated that he'd be looking for new tires this summer. I asked him how often he checks his TP, and gets the tires rotated. Well he cant rotate the tires because they are directional, but he had never checked the TP. He does take it to the dealer for oil changes, so they may be checking it? So we went over getting a good gauge, when and how to check them, effects of temperature,and so on. I indicated that tires are expensive, and one way to maximize life is proper inflation. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there that just don't seem to know.

It seems like whenever I have had new tires installed, the pressure is not correct, or consistent when checked cold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back