Removing haze from headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Yes, they went from fairly decent to terrible in a short period of time. And, they spend the bulk of their time inside the garage, too.

That is because when polished plastic loose its protective layer from factory. Exposed to environment get them hazed quickly.

I found a 5000 grit pad at Pep Boys. It does a better final job than 2000, or 2500 paper, as one might imagine.

I used a tshirt and whitening toothpaste. But that was to remove the haze or melting from some moron spraying carb cleaner and brake cleaner on these non oem headlights to remove spray paint overspray.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'm not sure how the aftermarket UV coatings affect the beam pattern.

Pattern? Unless they cause major refraction or diffraction, I don't see how.

Now, people don't like coated bulbs because they claim it restricts the emitted light. A coating on the headlight could do the same, whether it's a practical amount is another story though...

Originally Posted By: Vikas
No, people don't like COLOR coating on the bulb.

Which does what? Filter out some wavelengths which means less illuminating energy projected.

I dont know what wavelengths any coating will filter out, but it may filter some visable light. Me guessing so is equivalent to you guessing no. Neither of us know for certain, other than the fact that it seems optically clear.

Blue coating will kill the yellow spectrum and will of course reduce the overall intensity. I can say I "know" that for a fact and I am not "guessing".

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Blue coating will kill the yellow spectrum and will of course reduce the overall intensity. I can say I "know" that for a fact and I am not "guessing".

Not only that the human eye is MORE responsive to yellow/white waves vs blue, you will NOT see as well with blue spectrum lighting even if the bulbs have more lumens. Seems an over looked fact.

The best color temperature for automotive headlamps is between 3000 and 4000k max.

Just tackled my 90 Volvo today, and the headlight lens on it were awful looking after 26 years. This time around I used the 3M kit with my electric drill. Used the 500 grit, 800 grit, and then the 3000 Trizact wet. Then I used the foam pad in the kit with the included polish, and polished both lenses twice. Had half a bottle of the Sylvania step #3 clear coat left over after doing my Oldsmobile, so I used it after the final polish, and the results were really good.

For anybody that does not want to use a spray can clear coat, Sylvania sales step 1 activator and step 3 clear coat in a kit for $9.99 at Advance Auto. This cheaper kit does not include the sandpaper, but it's a lot easier to use the 3M kit with drill, and then use the Sylvania clear coat kit. I had enough UV clear coat to do my Oldsmobile and my Volvo with about a 1/5 of a bottle left over, and I did go heavy with it like the instructions say to do, but not to the point of running.

Sylvania Headlight Restoration UV Block Clear Coat, 1 kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back