Strobing LED Daytime Running Lamps - Headache?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are strobing LED daytime running lamps on passenger car/truck/suv vehicles legal?

Saw my first one today on a Dodge Ram pu. They are annoying, thats for sure. Man I hope this isn't a trend.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
What do you mean by strobing? For sure not legal. Probably a faulty module or LEDs.

Quickly strobing white LED headlights on a slightly custom PU truck. Like strobing at 3 or 4 times a second. Continuously. It wasn't hazard flashers I don't think.

It was the 1st time I've ever seen it, thought it might be a new trendy thing.
Must be just for daylight DRLs, surely can't be used at night that way.

I'm guessing it was on purpose. Maybe an electronic module malfunction, but it affected all the front lights at the same time. ??? Hoping its not a trend.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Not legal same with the 3rd brake light flashers.

Honda dealership near Denver installs those 3rd brake light flashers on ALL new Hondas sold there. Doesn't seem legal, but I was at that dealership car shopping a few months ago and couldn't believe they were doing that, pre-sale! Customer had no choice. Crazy.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
there are alot of annoying lighting trends these days that are not legal and not enforced.

I actually like the blue lights you can install on rocker panels that point at the ground only.
And I think I saw some tiny LED lights that attached to your wheels, kinda cool, not bright, not annoying.

But this guy putting strobing daytime running DRL lamps on is just nuts and annoying. Not super bright though at least I guess.

You can have strobing lamps, your State may vary.

Usually you're a paramedic or firefighter.

"survey crews" can use yellow flashers, not sure on white.

The tire/wheel tiny LED lights are cool, not annoying, but those DRL headlights, NOT...
1-Pair-Wheel-Lights-Red-Blue-Motor-Cycling-Bike-Tyre-Tire-Valve-LED-Car-Bicycle-Wheel.jpg

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
You can have strobing lamps, your State may vary.

Usually you're a paramedic or firefighter.

"survey crews" can use yellow flashers, not sure on white.

This sure looked like a civilian pickup truck. Not absolutely sure.

Oh well I'll keep an eye out for any more of them.

Around here I have seen pickups with led arrays intended for off road UTV's bolted onto the hoods or roofs. I tend to run into them around the high school, driven by youngsters. They are very bright; I don't think they would make it past a cop without a ticket.

Not strobing (thank God) but really nice was the solid glowing grille area on the eighties and nineties Mercury Sable. Wish we has more of that. Not bright, large area glowing between the headlights.

When I saw that pu truck today with the annoying strobing DRLs, it made me think what really constitutes the fine line between being noticed on the road, a good thing in general, and being completely obnoxious with it.
28.gif

Last edited:
Even if a specific law isn't on the books if such lights cause distraction or blinding to other drivers the offending motorist can be ordered to cease using them on the public highway by law enforcement. I support that 100%.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
The tire/wheel tiny LED lights are cool, not annoying, but those DRL headlights, NOT...
1-Pair-Wheel-Lights-Red-Blue-Motor-Cycling-Bike-Tyre-Tire-Valve-LED-Car-Bicycle-Wheel.jpg

I guess that all depends upon your perspective. I find them a bit childish rather than "cool".

Originally Posted By: Olas
Most cars built in the last 15 years have strobe listing everywhere, only it flashes to fast for you to discern.

Yeah the LED taillight drivers that PWM to "dim" are annoying.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I guess that all depends upon your perspective. I find them a bit childish rather than "cool".
They do seem like a way to be more visible from the side at night though (without being annoying). I don't think I'd like to keep replacing those button batteries all the time though. Trying to find one that runs off movement/induction charging.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Yeah the LED taillight drivers that PWM to "dim" are annoying.

Reminds me of something I heard about years ago with flashing lights causing epileptic seizures in a few:

"Video Game Epilepsy
The condition described here is known as "photosensitive epilepsy" (PSE). Other common terms noted in the literature include visual reflex seizures, photoparoxysmal responses, intermittent photic stimulation seizures, video game seizures, television seizures and idiopathic photosensitive occipital lobe epilepsy, just to name a few. This type of seizure activity is triggered by such visual stimuli as flickering or flashing lights from fireworks, video games or TV broadcasts."
http://www.jems.com/articles/print/volum...deo-game-e.html

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

I don't care for blue, strobeing or drls. But on a motorcycle, the tire stem lights are a good idea, anything that makes it easier to be seen and distance estimated is a possible lifesaver. I just don't know if the weight of tire stem lights is enough to damage the stem or tires over time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back