how hard is it to replace a convertible top?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1996 Sebring. all I have found so far is bits and pieces of videos on You Tube - admitted I have not looked exhaustively, nor have I checked the factory repair manual. how hard? how long to replace it? what is the best top?

If you are asking these questions, you shouldn't do it yourself.

Unless................. your standards are very low - leaks, ripples, poor fit, gaps, too tight, too loose, etc.

Take it to a shop that does this for a living.

There are specialized tools, fasteners, procedures that they use every day. Let the pros handle this. I am all for DIY, but not here.

I have done a few. They are a royal pain. I my case, I had to buy some special tools. I never had leaks and always bought JC Whitney ones which came from Ohio a few miles from my house. They alwyas fit well. I would rather pull an engine out or do a heater core on a Ram or a Mustang (notoriously difficult) than do a convertible top. The process starts off easy and gets harder as you progress. There are a lot of pieces. Its not just a top. As user52165 says, take it to a shop that does this for a living. If for nothing else, for your own sanity.

Should be able to find an upholstery shop and get a new top for under $500. Some offer a warranty on workmanship and materials. All the tops I had replaced were white. The tan and black could be more I don't know.

Check you local pick-n-pulls for any Sebring convertible with a twillfast top and swap the entire assembly. You'll need a helper but it's the best way for a DIY top. Lots of these are garage queens and when they have a mechanical failure they get junked with nice tops and interiors. I bought a 04 Touring wreck and swapped the top, heated seats and cat converters onto my GTC.
The tops are all the same from 96 to 06.
There's an active message board here.

This is as close to unanimous as you'll ever see on BITOG.
shocked2.gif
Better listen.

If you can find a complete assembly in good shape for the right price it may be much easier. Swapped the entire top assembly on my '96 for one from a '04 Terminator last summer. It was a bit of work but fairly straight forward.

I found a steal of a deal on a complete assembly. For my car it included the top, the rear window and curtain, headliner, frame, linkage, cables and complete hydraulics. It was a different model year but still SN95 and dropped right in plus offered better hydraulics than my '96 and a MUCH nicer top material (canvas instead of vinyl).

You will have to do your own research on Sebrings as I'm not as familiar with them. Find out what years are interchangeable and search ebay, craigslist, junkyard and web forums for used pieces.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
1996 Sebring. all I have found so far is bits and pieces of videos on You Tube - admitted I have not looked exhaustively, nor have I checked the factory repair manual. how hard? how long to replace it? what is the best top?

Its not an easy job. Take it to a pro and let them do it, don't cheap out on the material, its the wrong place to try and save a few bucks.

Robbins tops are highly regarded. If you're going DIY, you'll want to do it in warm weather, or the very least a very warm shop. Having a extra set of hands is very recommended. Strong, willing hands.

I have only done one top. I had help, but neither of us had done one before. 01 miata, took most of a day. It was a pretty simple top.

If you can find a whole unit as has been suggested, much simpler. Even if it's not like new condition, it can get you through untill you can replace the top on your frame.

I replaced the top on my '98 Boxster quite a few years ago, with the help of a friend.
Took the better part of a day, and turned out great.

Saved a whole pile of cash in comparison to handing the job over to someone else.

It wasn't the hardest job in the automotive world, but it wasn't as easy as changing spark plugs on an air cooled Ducati Monster, either.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
Should be able to find an upholstery shop and get a new top for under $500. Some offer a warranty on workmanship and materials. All the tops I had replaced were white. The tan and black could be more I don't know.

If you can get it done for that, more power to you.
Back in 1980, it was a $300. job.
I had another one replaced in 2006 on a 1994 Lebaron. It was over a $1200.job then, and that was the middle bid I received of 3 estimates.
I also say to have a professional do it. They can be a PITA to do.
I would also say to avoid a white top. They are impossible to clean and keep clean. My Lebaron had one when I purchased it. The car was white with a tan interior. Had it replaced with a tan top. Much easier to keep clean.

I'll throw in my $0.02... If you can afford to have a pro do it, then go that route.

I did the top on my 240sx. Bought the top off Ebay. Only paid about $120 (this was about 7-8 years ago). I had the factory shop manual and followed it word for word. Took about 12 hours spread over two days.

I would do it again if necessary, but it was not fun. Great learning experience, and in the end it looked great and it still does. Took a LOT of adjusting, repositioning, tugging over here, pulling over there, retighten this, loosen that's, etc.

If you can find one in a junkyard and they will let you take all the brackets, supports, cables, etc along with the fabric, go that route. I did this on my coworkers Sebring and we had it done in just a few hours.

Certain cars are more do it yourself able than others. I've done several Corvette C4 tops and they are small and pretty easy. They are also a simple manual style. When you get into power retractable and other more complicated styles is when you may consider a pro.

+1 I have done a few years ago. The bigger they get the more difficult it is.
The 76 Eldorado was a friggin nightmare, not just the top but the headliner also, never again.

Originally Posted By: Trav
+1 I have done a few years ago. The bigger they get the more difficult it is.
The 76 Eldorado was a friggin nightmare, not just the top but the headliner also, never again.

That Eldorado must have been a pain! That's got to be a 12 foot long top lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back