Finished My 1941 John Deere

Status
Not open for further replies.
i finally finished my 1941 John Deere B. It's been a 12+ year project held up mostly by a lack of a proper place to work on it and not having the proper tools to handle the heavy work of splitting the tractor to replace the main case to rear axle gasket. All of the pieces finally fell together; time, money, and knowledgeable help with the proper equipment.

The engine is fully rebuilt and the rest was gone through from end to end. Only one transmission bearing needed replacement along with the outside wheel bearings. She runs like new and looks better than new.

Now to what you all really want to know:
Crankcase - T5 10W-30
Hydraulics - T1 SAE 30
Transmission - Valvoline 85W-140
Radiator - Havoline conventional green

ZT4R5U3.jpg

Ed

Nice tractor! My father is a big JD fan, used to have an AR model. No room to have it where he lives now so he had to sell it unfortunately. My grandfather had a JD model 720 diesel. It had the V4 pup engine to crank over the prime mover. I always loved watching him start it when I was a kid.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Tell us more about the machine as to engine size, number of cylinder's, torque etc.

It's a 175 cubic inch horizontal, parallel twin; 4.5 inch bore, 5.5 inch stroke, with 180(540) degree firing order. Pop pop pause pop pop pause...

It's a kerosene engine, also know as "dual fuel" thus the two fuel tanks. The back tank is 2 gallons that you fill with gasoline. The main tank is 12 gallons. You started them on gasoline then switched to kerosene. Back in the day, kerosene was much cheaper than gasoline. They run just fine on gasoline and have a bit more power. It's 4.75:1 compression and has brass petcocks on the cylinders that serve as compression releases for the 6V system or to hand start.

Operating RPM is 1150. It's rated at 18.5 hp on kerosene and 20.5 hp on gasoline. Torque specs were never published, but working the math backward gives 92 ft-lb. That's equivalent to a modern 40-50 hp diesel. It will do a lot of work, just slowly. It's designed to pull a two bottom plow and operate continuously at 90% of its power output.

It has 6 forward speeds and reverse, 2.5 to 12.5 mph. This tractor was fitted from the factory with the optional electric start, lights, and hydraulic lift. It also has a 540 rpm PTO.

Ed

Good job!

Thanks for sharing.

Is there any logic to the uneven firing order?
It just seems odd.

Beautiful job on that John Deere B! There is something very soothing about that 2 cylinder sound. I had a '51 Farmall H I mechanically restored, but had to sell it before I could finish the painting when my family moved. Soon I will have my own land and get into tractors again!

Love the tractor. I have always been a 2 cyl JD fan, as my dad had them, and my earliest memories are of the unstyled deeres. When I was 18 I started farming 160 acres with a 52 A . After I quit farming a couple years later and went to mechanics school, I have owned a couple B's, but no longer have any, as I live in town now.

Nice!
I've got a '39 B that is similar to yours...except it is WAITING to be restored. It was my dad's tractor when he was alive and I won't ever sell it. I put many hours on that tractor when I was a kid.
So where did you purchase your engine overhaul parts?

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
I do not know which looks better, the view or the tractor.

beautiful view & tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back