Another quickie lube fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Why does the oil pan look like it is full of water/coolant?

I don't think it is water/coolant. It looks like finely ground filter media. A proper analysis would confirm the presence or absence of water or coolant and whether the filter disintegrated. Thus redirecting the blame.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
TomYoung said:
How about suing Mr. Lube, and separately suing the dealership and a third lawsuit against Mitsubishi... [/quote In the real world ehay are made co-defendants.

What did the dealership do wrong?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Why does the oil pan look like it is full of water/coolant?

Because the oil filter caused the failure, after all.
wink.gif
That's what the wrong oil filter will do, apparently!

CBC's dealing with consumer affairs is always a bit sketchy, at best. Everyone in this case is just blaming each other, and while a wrong size filter can cause interference with other parts, as already mentioned here, I think we have a few things going on of which we're not fully informed. What's with all the water in the oil pan, as already mentioned? Why is there such confusion over an oil filter for this vehicle, too?

"Whether it's the wrong filter or the right filter, their technicians touched my vehicle and eight days later it suffered catastrophic engine failure."

And this is why some are hesitant to work on other's vehicles out of the kindness of their heart. Myself included to a certain extent, especially older high mileage stuff.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
"Whether it's the wrong filter or the right filter, their technicians touched my vehicle and eight days later it suffered catastrophic engine failure."

And this is why some are hesitant to work on other's vehicles out of the kindness of their heart. Myself included to a certain extent, especially older high mileage stuff.

Ha you beat me to it!

But so far, there haven't been BITOG-worthy comments, such as:

Wonder what his OCI was before this?

Is the water in the pan due to head gasket failure?

How many miles on the vehicle?

Was the right oil used, or did the quik-E-lube install ATF?

Without these answers it's all speculation.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
Originally Posted By: TomYoung
If you look at the picture, you can see that the diameter of one filter is wider. This suggests strongly that the gasket and the mating surface on the engine would be mismatches.

Except that they're not:

These OEM filters are available in two sizes. Both can be used interchangeably on either 6-bolt, 7-bolt, 1g, 2g, etc. The functional specs (diameter, thread pitch of the outlet and diameter of the sealing gasket) are identical. The only difference is in their inner volume and the outer dimensions of the filter shell.

Actually if you look at the specs on the Fram web site for each filter, the gasket dimensions and bypass pressure are different.

Last edited:
Those filters definitely can be used in place of each other. Saw it a lot when the dealer I work for had Mitsubishi. IIRC, the reason for the different outside dimensions was for clearance on different models of car/engine. They function the essentially the same (not different enough to blow an engine) and many vehicles will easily fit either one.

The Mitsubishi dealer catalog is also a real cluster****, and even looking up by VIN will give a mess of part numbers.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
This is not a Quick Lube fail at all, probably just a P.O.S. engine.

Most likely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Actually if you look at the specs on the Fram web site for each filter, the gasket dimensions and bypass pressure are different.

The filters in question are OEM Mitsubishi, not Fram's cross-references.

See 01rangerxl's info above.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
Originally Posted By: TomYoung
If you look at the picture, you can see that the diameter of one filter is wider. This suggests strongly that the gasket and the mating surface on the engine would be mismatches.

Except that they're not:

These OEM filters are available in two sizes. Both can be used interchangeably on either 6-bolt, 7-bolt, 1g, 2g, etc. The functional specs (diameter, thread pitch of the outlet and diameter of the sealing gasket) are identical. The only difference is in their inner volume and the outer dimensions of the filter shell.

That's surprisingly common. Offhand, my Cherokee called for a little "teacup" filter...but a big FL1/PH8A/Puro 10001 was a direct swap. The same filter is a direct swap for the little PH3600/FL400 that a 3.0 Ranger calls for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back