Cordless home phone recommendations....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace our 15 yr old Uniden cordless phone. I'm not the hip electronic geek I once was so I'm not sure which brand model will fill my needs.

Looking for a 3 handset unit (or expandable unit) with good range and clarity. The base will be placed downstairs and will have to transmit clearly through at least one floor. Needs to be voip friendly. Also want one that does not break up when the microwave is turned on or interferes with the wifi.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mantooth

I've had good luck with Panasonic cordless phones over the years. Still using one today. No issues with interference from microwave or wifi. Works fine on ATT VOIP (uverse).

Most of the Panasonic handsets also include an audio jack so that you can connect a headset for hands-free calling, which is critical for me.

Shopped around a year ago for a corded base unit with answering machine, caller id, call blocking, etc. We ended up with a Panasonic unit with the corded base and two cordless units. We have no complaints.

It has been awhile since our last cordless unit and what I like about the Panasonic unit we have is that it uses common AAA batteries for the cordless units. Maybe the other brands are likewise equipped, too.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Panasonic are excellent. Anything modern won't be bothered by microwave etc.

Yup. I'm still using my Panasonic phones from 2007. They uses AAA rechargeable batteries, but I have one handset that is still running on the original batteries...

recently got a 3 phone version of this made by Panasonic at Costco for $50. Works great except no base to make phone stand up for a speakerphone conversation. Works ok laying down but... Has a VM machine too of course.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
recently got a 3 phone version of this made by Panasonic at Costco for $50. Works great except no base to make phone stand up for a speakerphone conversation. Works ok laying down but... Has a VM machine too of course.

The Panny handset I have is able to stand up on its own, but I'm not sure there is any benefit to doing that for a speakerphone conversation.

Another vote here for Panasonic
thumbsup2.gif

if you're used to a 15year phone, be prepared for a huge upgrade if you were using a "dumb" phone system system.

The new systems are all digital DECT 6.0 which is more like an office system where each handset has an ID and can selectively ring each other or direct calls specifically to a specific handset or call the other handset and so on. There is only 1 base station

That being said, I also vote for the panasonic DECT system Available at costco, sometimes on sale. Buy the one with the 5 handsets even if you don't need them immediately.

Another interesting note is the batteries. Somewhat a no-duh tidbit, but panasonics obviously ship with Panasonic rechargeable AAA batteries. But this is an important point since panasonic AAA rechargeable batteries are Low self charge batteries and as good as eneloops.

DECT 6.0 operates at 1.9Ghz, so it should not be interfering with your wifi.

Last edited:
Several years ago I had 2 Panasonic sets, they worked fine.

Recently I bought a Siemens set made in Germany. I thought; if Panasonic gets such a bad rap, and their cordless phones don't suck, how bad can Siemens be?

The Siemens are absolute garbage, don't buy them. Panasonic should be alright.

Sounds like Panasonic has cornered the market on cordless phones.

The closest Cosco to us is about 50 minutes. Not a member either. I'll probably buy from Amazon Prime or an online Walmart order.

Our 15yr old phone still works but the clarity isse with the microwave and wifi has finally gotten old. Battery life is now only good for a 20 minute call.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
if you're used to a 15year phone, be prepared for a huge upgrade if you were using a "dumb" phone system system.

The new systems are all digital DECT 6.0 which is more like an office system where each handset has an ID and can selectively ring each other or direct calls specifically to a specific handset or call the other handset and so on. There is only 1 base

I think you just put me off EVER buying a new phone!
I do not want my phone to do anything more than it already does.
Ring when I get a call!

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
Looking to replace our 15 yr old Uniden cordless phone. I'm not the hip electronic geek I once was so I'm not sure which brand model will fill my needs.

Looking for a 3 handset unit (or expandable unit) with good range and clarity. The base will be placed downstairs and will have to transmit clearly through at least one floor. Needs to be voip friendly. Also want one that does not break up when the microwave is turned on or interferes with the wifi.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mantooth

Vtech Detect 6.0 cordless phones, take your pick from the 6.0 series. I use 4 of them in our 3000 sq ft home. Never an issue what floor you are on or if you are outside. Voice quality is superior.

I use voip. Ooma to be exact, superior voice quality with the vtech, dumped my ATT landline a year ago, now use free nationwide Ooma ($4.68 a month bill for taxes) and I can honestly say I have better voice quality with Ooma. My wife also calls her parents overseas with the Ooma, again, fantastic vocie quality.
Lets put it another way, ATT landline had really good voice quality and so does Ooma, there is something about the Ooma quality that I like better.

AS far as the phones too, We actually had two phones lines (past one was magic jack, d0nt recommend) anyway. One set of cordless phones was the Vtech Dect6.0 on one line and the other set was uniden on the other line. After switching to Ooma we then tried both the Vtech and Uniden many times, each time, my wife and I agreed without question Vech 6.0 had better voice quality. I am sooooooo thrilled with our home phone line now with Ooma and Vtech 6.0 and more so my wife for calling overseas.

Honestly I dont use the Ooma line a lot since we all have cell phones but its great to have at a cost of less then $5 a month for nationwide service and super clear calls. Of course much better for my wife to talk with her parents, she also uses her cell but she loves the Ooma line.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Mantooth said:

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mantooth

Vtech Detect 6.0 cordless phones, take your pick from the 6.0 series. I use 4 of them in our 3000 sq ft home. Never an issue what floor you are on or if you are outside. Voice quality is superior.

I use voip. Ooma to be exact, superior voice quality with the vtech, dumped my ATT landline a year ago, now use free nationwide Ooma ($4.68 a month bill for taxes) and I can honestly say I have better voice quality with Ooma. My wife also calls her parents overseas with the Ooma, again, fantastic voice quality.
Lets put it another way, ATT landline had really good voice quality and so does Ooma, there is something about the Ooma quality that I like better.

AS far as the phones too, We actually had two phone lines (past one was magic jack,I dont recommend) anyway. One set of cordless phones was the Vtech Dect6.0 on one line and the other set was Uniden on the other line. After switching to Ooma we then tried both the Vtech and Uniden many times, each time, my wife and I agreed without question Vech 6.0 had better voice quality. I am sooooooo thrilled with our home phone line now with Ooma and Vtech 6.0 and more so my wife for calling overseas.

Honestly I dont use the Ooma line a lot since we all have cell phones but its great to have at a cost of less then $5 a month for nationwide service and super clear calls. Of course much better for my wife to talk with her parents, she also uses her cell but she loves the Ooma line.

Here is a link to vtech 6.0 phones at vt...oogle vtech 6.0

Last edited:
I Found an AT&T set(4 handsets- 3 w/charging dock, 1 w/base station answering machine) on sale years ago. Still working fine; no complaints.

I read up on this not too long ago. According to CR, Panasonic & ATT were at the top. You might look on CR's site to see if any free reports are avail. Otherwise, a visit to a local library. Mine subscribes to CR's on-line site, so it's up-to-date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back