Which UV dye for mixed system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently brought home another ailing Saab 9-3 (2001), which was sold to me with a "coolant leak". The previous owner had been topping off with universal coolant to the point that the fluid in the overflow tank appears green (originally spec-ed for Dex Cool).

No obvious leaks at the head, hoses, heater core, etc. I decided to try some UV dye, but there are two kinds - ACDelco 10-5046 Dex-Cool Leak Detection Tracer Dye, and the Interdynamics 375CS Radiator/Coolant Dye, the later specifically says "Compatible with all types of antifreeze except GM dex-cool coolant".

Has anyone had experience with dex-cool systems and dye? I can't imagine there is much dex-cool in there at this point, but I wonder if the rest of the system is still sensitive? Would the DEXCOOL dye do damage to a universal coolant system?

Ended up pouring in the Dex-Cool variety. No visible leaks so far. I drained the transmission fluid and didn't see any UV die in there, so it's not the radiator-trans cooler. Taking out the cylinders did not reveal any "cleaned" cylinders or plugs, so starting to rule out a head gasket too.

The only place I am thinking is turbo coolant lines, leaking past seals and directly into the exhaust. Anyone have any experience with this?

I personally have not had any coolant loss yet, but I have not driven the car on the road either - just idling in the driveway to reach operating temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back