Castrol Magnatec 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've run for a long time Pennzoil Platinum in my 2006 Honda Accord V6 which has now 146,000 miles and calls for 5W-20 of course. But today our WM here in beautiful Hamilton, Alabama had Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 Full Syn for $18.00/5 quart jug.

The price was so good I gave in and bought it for the Accord. I've never used Magnatec. It claims to have molecules that cling to metal for better start-up protection -- I don't know if that's marketing or a real scientific concept.

You gentlemen reckon that would run just fine in the Accord? My usual OCI is about 7,000 miles with a premium filter.

You will be just fine. Assuming it meets all the specs you need, and although a UOA is not the be all end all, one bitoger is running the 5W30 blend version with great success in his Twin Turbo EcoBoost F-150.

Originally Posted By: CrackyWainwright
I've run for a long time Pennzoil Platinum in my 2006 Honda Accord V6 which has now 146,000 miles and calls for 5W-20 of course. But today our WM here in beautiful Hamilton, Alabama had Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 Full Syn for $18.00/5 quart jug.

The price was so good I gave in and bought it for the Accord. I've never used Magnatec. It claims to have molecules that cling to metal for better start-up protection -- I don't know if that's marketing or a real scientific concept.

You gentlemen reckon that would run just fine in the Accord? My usual OCI is about 7,000 miles with a premium filter.

I'm not so sure, but I think Castrol Magnatec 0W20 is full synthetic and 5W20 is semi-syn.

At $18.xx/jug everyday at Walmart it is the best value for full syn.

I've run for a long time Pennzoil Platinum in my 2006 Honda Accord V6 which has now 146,000 miles and calls for 5W-20 of course.

Honda with that much mileage in a warm climate, I'd recommend going ahead and moving to 5w-30 Magnatec blend or dexos1-quality-rated oil of 5w-30 or 0w-30.
It claims to have molecules that cling to metal for better start-up protection -- I don't know if that's marketing or a real scientific concept.

Real science there. bobbydavro is a user on here connected in some way to Castrol, and he knows its polar molecule sticky stuff once developed for hybrid stop-start action.
My usual OCI is about 7,000 miles with a premium filter.

What premium filter? I've found people think they have a premium filter and find out they are not running the real premium oil filters, pretty much anything out there with a full-synthetic glass/polymer fiber media is premium, all others are just cost cutting by corporations selling you paper elements.

Yep. Magnatec 5W-20 & 0W-20 is an awesome full synthetic bargain at Walmart. It'll be perfect for a 7,000 mile OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I'm not so sure, but I think Castrol Magnatec 0W20 is full synthetic and 5W20 is semi-syn.

At $18.xx/jug everyday at Walmart it is the best value for full syn.

0W-20 and 5W-20 are full syn
5W-30 and 10W-30 are blends

http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil.html

http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motor-oil/synthetic-blend-motor-oil.html

wemay am I reading it wrong? The link shows, at the bottom, that "CASTROL GTX MAGNATEC IS AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING GRADES: 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30."

So is it full syn or syn blend in 5w30?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: geekster
wemay am I reading it wrong? The link shows, at the bottom, that "CASTROL GTX MAGNATEC IS AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING GRADES: 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30." So is it full syn or syn blend in 5w30?
U r reading it right. The name Magnatec applies to full syns and part syns, and the 5w-30 is a part syn family member.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Better.

The Magnatec 5w20 is a fine oil and a bargain at WM in the 5 qt. jug. It should be fine for a 7k OCI....but I certainly wouldn't say it's 'better' than PP.....just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Better.

The Magnatec 5w20 is a fine oil and a bargain at WM in the 5 qt. jug. It should be fine for a 7k OCI....but I certainly wouldn't say it's 'better' than PP.....just my opinion.

Thank you for saying that. If one says its better, I'd like to know why they think that.

Only 0w-20's that might be better:

• Magnatec: Sticky ester molecules added.
  • Mazda Genuine Motor Oil: Too much moly used is beneficial likely, and high VI, and targeted at DI engines.
  • Kendall GT-1: Titanium added on top of typical treat rates.
  • Mobil1 EP: Extra PAO for longevity, stability.
  • Redline: Polyol Ester and moly, thicker oil films (high HTHS)

Yes Magnatec appears to have something outstanding about it. One has to pick what one wants to value the most though.

Last edited:
Car runs WAY better on this oil than any premium syn Ive run. Super Smooth ,quiet and super slickery feeling at low "lugging" RPMs that the rogue runs at at light throttle (1100-1500)

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Thank you for saying that. If one says its better, I'd like to know why they think that.

Car runs WAY better on this oil than any premium syn Ive run. Super Smooth ,quiet and super slickery feeling at low "lugging" RPMs that the rogue runs at at light throttle (1100-1500)

There you have it.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

There you have it.
I woke up to 1 degree temp this morning. My 2015 Equinox w 2.4 Ecotec started up just as smooth and quiet as ever. I think this engine produces better torque with this oil than any other I've run including Mobil 1 EP which the Eco likes. I don't buy into the intelligent molecule marketing stuff, but this is very smooth.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

There you have it.
I woke up to 1 degree temp this morning. My 2015 Equinox w 2.4 Ecotec started up just as smooth and quiet as ever. I think this engine produces better torque with this oil than any other I've run including Mobil 1 EP which the Eco likes. I don't buy into the intelligent molecule marketing stuff, but this is very smooth.

Originally Posted By: Gillsy
Sorry, I run 5w30 Magnatec, not 5w20. MYBAD!

The 5W-30 Magnatec is still a good oil.

In North America I believe it's a SN & ILSAC GF-5 semi-synthetic.

In Australia our 5W-30 is very different, it's a full synthetic SN & ACEA A3/B4 oil. A recent upgrade that I can't wait to try out. It replaces a 10W-30 semi-synthetic Magnatec (SN, A3/B4).

The additive that helps the oil cling to metal surfaces is real and beneficial, but the marketing is trite.

Originally Posted By: SR5
The 5W-30 Magnatec is still a good oil.

In North America I believe it's a SN & ILSAC GF-5 semi-synthetic.

I believe so, too. I've only been able to find it in 60 litre kegs so far, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back