Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 API SN in 1991 Proton Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a VOA of the same non-GTL SHU 5W40 (oil-club.ru) and compared with your UOA.
Seems to me this oil performs very well in your engine after 11K KM:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cM8wl_4M3SPq8lkRXutq4CLOTcrDN2_U6RqyEfxqCLs/edit#gid=3

20160112_143505.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about 20ppm lead - the old girl may just be slowly wearing out. It happens. You're right to be cognizant of your oil pressure reading - that will be your first clue that things are drastically heading south. Maybe at some point in the distant future it will need a rebuild. Eventually, cars need to be replaced for economic reasons, basically there are too many things to fix.

With 11 years usage after overhaul and partly due to prolonged OCI's , one of the 9 plain bearings could have encountered 3 particle abrasion resulting in minor localised scratch(es) and increased surface roughness RA readings at affected bearing.

The lead would've come from the 'peaks' of the localised scratch(es), probably during start/stop and/or abrupt vehicle acceleration/deceleration ...

If above scenario is valid, use of higher KV@100*C oils could mitigate further deterioration by promoting hydrodynamic lubrication regimes in the affected bearing.

Just a possible scenario.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng
With 11 years usage after overhaul and partly due to prolonged OCI's , one of the 9 plain bearings could have encountered 3 particle abrasion resulting in minor localised scratch(es) and increased surface roughness RA readings at affected bearing.

The lead would've come from the 'peaks' of the localised scratch(es), probably during start/stop and/or abrupt vehicle acceleration/deceleration ...

If above scenario is valid, use of higher KV@100*C oils could mitigate further deterioration by promoting hydrodynamic lubrication regimes in the affected bearing.

Just a possible scenario.
blush.gif

Maybe; except oil pressure is up to spec at 20 - 21psi at idle 90C oil temp. so I am questioning is there a problem at all. I do not want to go to higher weight oils at it will increase the load on the engine and increase heat too. From Shannow's experiments, its clear a lighter viscosity oil (not too light in this case) generates less heat, so I intend to try out a ACEA A3/B4 10W-30 (BTW I bought the Prestone full syn 10W-30), and will report on pressure and temp that I observe, but not so soon. I will use up MOBIL 1 first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back