What is the typical life of a set of tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
Quote:
Re: What is the typical life of a set of tires?

200 to 125000 miles.

Ask a very generic question get a generic answer.

Everybody else found a way to offer something.

I gave a more intense check of the tires and think they will be fine for the winter time but will most likely get new rubber in the spring. Thanks to everybody that helped

My wife does not drive a lot.
She has on her Tiguan Conti DWS that next summer will be their 4th season. They will def. hit 5th season and after 5th season they are gone. In my handbook, after 5 years that is it.
She has another set of wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak's, and next winter it will be their 4th season and final one.
I am simple, I make a lot of miles, so typically winters are done after two seasons (20k) and summer after 3 seasons (30K). I personally do not like long lasting tires, especially winter ones.

It's not up us consumers....manufacturers will determine the life-span of a tire in terms of years....don't argue with them...your life is in their hands...

I believe that many manufacturers limit their expected life span to 6 years in terms of structural integrity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
It's not up us consumers....manufacturers will determine the life-span of a tire in terms of years....don't argue with them...your life is in their hands...

I believe that many manufacturers limit their expected life span to 6 years in terms of structural integrity.

Maybe in the sunbelt? Up here, recommending a 6 year replacement would mean that company isn't going to sell many tires. How bad must the rubber be to have a significant failure rate just from 6 years passing?

This isn't a discussion of favorite flavors of oil....it's about how safe YOU are on the road...and of course YOUR tire failure puts everyone else at risk....

This one has seen better days. It came on my Mini.

Tire.jpg

This was on my Renault

Right_front_suspension.jpg

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

Think thats the CAR manufacturers. No skin off their nose, and that blanket recommendation has to cater for some very high performance machines used on autobahns with no speed limit.

Tyre companies said 10 last i checked, and they said that reluctantly.

Just so everyone understands:

Most tire wear occurs in the cornering mode. That means that city driving, with its frequent turns and short trips, is worse than country driving. Freeway driving is practically free miles.

Ever wonder why those 18 wheelers get over 100k miles on their tires? Straight line driving!!

Originally Posted By: widman
This one has seen better days. It came on my Mini.

Tire.jpg

This was on my Renault

Right_front_suspension.jpg

I don't see any cords, so they still have some life left.

Across four or so vehicles, I'd say about 40kmiles. Sometimes I have to drive into the wear bars to get that. Some tires were done at 30k, a couple had life but were tossed due to noise or performance issues.

Originally Posted By: supton
Across four or so vehicles, I'd say about 40kmiles. Sometimes I have to drive into the wear bars to get that. Some tires were done at 30k, a couple had life but were tossed due to noise or performance issues.

Thanks and thanks to everybody for the comments! I tried the tires out last weekend when we got about 4 inches of snow and they were terrible. Surprisingly the Hankooks were decent in the snow when new. I saw a special on a set of General RT43s on tirebuyer.com and there is a local garage that will install them for 17 with an alignment check. I am going to wait until tax returns and bite the bullet.

We found our RT43's to be good in snow, at least when new. Now that they are half-worn... we're not sure yet, as we've yet to have any good snow to drive in.

I replaced 2 sets of tires in the past 2 years. One were on my DD and were the factory originals with 52K miles on the Michelins. They were worn nearly to the replacement point but did show light cracking. They were already 12 years old so I replaced them.

My 1999 still had the original factory rubber on them until last year. Only 16K miles and spent 99% of its time in a garage. It's rarely parked in the hot summer sun just because the roof panels tend to bubble. So the tires saw very limited UV. The Goodyear F1's had 40% tread left and were 16 years old. They had no signs of cracking or bulging either outside or inside. I replaced them because I just wanted more peace of mind when on the highway. Fwiw, the new BFG Comp2 summer performance tires don't feel any different to me than the 16 year old factory tires did. And without checking the 1998 date code on those older tires, you would never have guessed they were more than 3-6 years old.

How long do tires last? It depends on numerous factors. The 6-10 year limit suggested by manufacturers, distributors and dealers is to ensure they sell more tires and help to shield them from lawsuits.

From my experience, radials life usually ranges from 40K-50K miles; directional tires upper 30K range; all-terrains 50K miles.
I'd say most tires go in the 6-8 year range. (However I've bought cars that had 10+ year old rubber.)

Only had about ten sets of tires in my life so far, over various vehicles, driving habits, locations/climates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back