22psi for tires on an Accord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I walk the parking lot at work, and every other month have to do a mass emailing for someone with low tires. Today I spied what looked low, so I measured. 22psi. Since that was not as bad as I thought, I checked two other tires, and the were both at 22psi. So either it was intentional (for ride reasons), or they never adjusted after the cold hit (more likely).

Since the tires will "pump up" in warmer weather I elected to not send an email.

Seems low to me, but maybe 22psi isn't that low for an Accord? I'm guessing 2000-2005 vintage, not sure (shoulda looked at the VIN I guess).

Related to that, have you noticed missing lug nuts?
Walking thru a parking lot at the store or a large mall, its surprising how many people lose and don't replace one or two(!!) lug nuts.

I used to live in hot Phoenix. Regularly during the summer especially, there was a highway curve that would collect cars with old underinflated tires. Rollover accidents after a blown tire.

Low pressure, high speed, high temperatures, bald old marginal cheapo tires, all a recipe for disaster.

On my walking route (when temps are around 30+) there's house with a 2008 Accord V6 with a missing lug nut on each of the rear wheels. I think the occupants buy and sell salvaged cars since there was a wrecked Ford Fusion in the driveway for awhile.

Regarding the low tire pressure, I'd just put a large note on the windshield under the wipers.

part of your job is to inspect cars in the parking lot and notify the owners? Where do you work? That seems kind of strange to check other people's tire pressures.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
On my walking route (when temps are around 30+) there's house with a 2008 Accord V6 with a missing lug nut on each of the rear wheels. I think the occupants buy and sell salvaged cars since there was a wrecked Ford Fusion in the driveway for awhile.

Regarding the low tire pressure, I'd just put a large note on the windshield under the wipers.

+1 Leave a note as a friendly reminder.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
part of your job is to inspect cars in the parking lot and notify the owners? Where do you work? That seems kind of strange to check other people's tire pressures.
very weird, I have never seen someone do this, and it is just weird to say the least.

Nope, I just try to get a bit of exercise when I can. Sitting behind a desk for 4 hours at a stretch gets old, so I try to get up once/hour and stretch; and at lunchtime do a walk or two through the lot. Get some sun, and at this time year, acclimate to the temp. I wind up noticing tires, 'cuz the parking lot is full of... cars.

Notice other stuff too. There's a Prius with a "turbo" badge on it, and a Pathfinder where the owner zip tied an ATF cooler to the brushguard--not behind the guard, but in front of it. One day my boss had a new bumper sticker: "Hooker for hire--honk, I'm cheap".

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
very weird, I have never seen someone do this, and it is just weird to say the least.

I can't help but notice things. If I know the car&person combo, I'll tell them directly, and they've been happy to be told.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

I remember when someone called the cops on my brother who was applying tire shine to his car when he lived in a large apartment complex. Many older people lived there and thought he was up to something as he was going around to each tire.

22 psi is too low IMO, I'd think they are damaging the tires. I'd leave a note saying their tires look low and not mention that you touched them...

In hindsight, perhaps I shouldn't have checked. Just couldn't tell, so I had to verify.

At this point though I don't have a reason to leave a note, as they don't look that low. Going by observation I've seen worse on "properly" inflated tires. Thus... the tire looks fine, thus no note is required.

I wouldn't touch anything doesn't belong to me. The most I could do is leave a note on windshield to tell owner of abnormal low tire pressure(by look).

I want to do that all the time, I understand wanting to know. Sometimes I wish I could get a job from the government going around airing up tires
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
Nope, I just try to get a bit of exercise when I can. Sitting behind a desk for 4 hours at a stretch gets old, so I try to get up once/hour and stretch; and at lunchtime do a walk or two through the lot.

I think the confusion here was that you stated, "...every other month have to do a mass emailing for someone with low tires" which makes it seem as though you're tasked with doing this at work.

I know you have good intentions, but I certainly wouldn't want anyone touching my car without asking, and I'd be a bit upset if I received an email from someone who had taken it upon himself to check my tire pressure for me.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
I know you have good intentions, but I certainly wouldn't want anyone touching my car without asking, and I'd be a bit upset if I received an email from someone who had taken it upon himself to check my tire pressure for me.

Yeah, in hindsight... I'd agree. Never stopped to think. I guess I wouldn't want someone else to touch my tires, after all. I had no plans to email the exact tire pressure, just that it looked low, though.

I'm feeling suitably chastised now. Kick myself for the rest of the day now.

Originally Posted By: Padawan

Just say "I think it's flat, it looks flat." The kind of person to let tires get flat is the kind who would "buy" that a genius can tell just by looking.

A friend of mine has a 2005 Accord and it's a constant struggle with his wheels for bead leaks. The outside of the wheels look but they are always bead leaking.

I work for a relatively small company so I usually end up telling whoever it is that they have a flat tire

Id keep your hands to yourself, your going to be responsible if someone gets in a wreck these days if your on the parking lot camera squatting down at peoples tires , maybe you will get lucky and check one where the valve sticks open from your tire guage invasion

Originally Posted By: supton
I walk the parking lot at work, and every other month have to do a mass emailing for someone with low tires. Today I spied what looked low, so I measured. 22psi. Since that was not as bad as I thought, I checked two other tires, and the were both at 22psi. So either it was intentional (for ride reasons), or they never adjusted after the cold hit (more likely).

Since the tires will "pump up" in warmer weather I elected to not send an email.

Seems low to me, but maybe 22psi isn't that low for an Accord? I'm guessing 2000-2005 vintage, not sure (shoulda looked at the VIN I guess).

Post a note and say, "I had to borrow 8 psi on your two front tires. Please reinflate them in case I need more air next week".

PS you've got too much time on your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back