Generator no start before snowstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arghh! The snow storm is approaching and I got out my powerhouse 2100 generator to test run it. The Powerhouse 2100 has an electric start option. No start with electric or manual rope start. Starting fluid usually helps but not today, not even a pop. I pulled the spark plug, grounded it, and cranked the engine. The spark is there but, so weak you have to look hard to see it. I am trying to charge the onboard battery as the cranking speed seemed slow to me. Any suggestions? This generator is a year old and always started before.

Punch Line - My little Harbor Freight 900 watt 2 cycle generator fired right up. It cost 85 dollars with a coupon :) and always starts. The powerhouse cost 500 dollars and is unreliable. If I hit the powerball I will move to a non electric home in Bali.

I would replace the plug, its something cheap you can try.

These days with electronic ignition, you do not need to turn over the engine very fast to get it started.

Try a second time with starter fluid after changing the plug. Obviously looks ignition related.

What engine on the generator?

I feel your pain, I have one of those. It's always temperamental starting. Get a NGK CR7HSA plug to replace the Chinese torch plug, but keep an extra around. I did have the NGK plug fail with results similar to yours; turns out it was sparking between the insulator and shell but it wouldn't even cough.

Other problem I have is the auto-choke pulls off too quickly, but usually it starts, runs briefly, and stalls. I have take the cover off, restart, and hold the choke closed for a few seconds until it runs.

Oh, in addition to the spark plug, check the carb. Mine actually had some metal particles in the float bowl that migrated into the emulsion tube and needle valve, possibly left from manufacturing. Needle valve? Yep, it has one, and it's adjustable, covered by a little cup-shaped tamper plug. A small punch and tapping on the edge of the plug will remove it. Powerhouse has service manuals online for it showing a breakdown of the carb. Once I blew out the emulsion tube and took out the needle valve to blow it out, it was much happier.

A lot of people are having trouble starting their generators, and I'll bet it's from having bad gas sitting in the carb. In most of Maryland you cannot escape ethanol in your gas unless you buy 100LL at an airport. I suggest you not store the generator for long periods with ethanol in the tank or carb. If you don't want to buy avgas from an airport you could drain all the fuel out when you're ready to store it, and perhaps run it for a few minutes with some of that engineered fuel like Tru Fuel that is available at Home Depot or Lowes.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Oh, in addition to the spark plug, check the carb. Mine actually had some metal particles in the float bowl that migrated into the emulsion tube and needle valve, possibly left from manufacturing. Needle valve? Yep, it has one, and it's adjustable, covered by a little cup-shaped tamper plug. A small punch and tapping on the edge of the plug will remove it. Powerhouse has service manuals online for it showing a breakdown of the carb. Once I blew out the emulsion tube and took out the needle valve to blow it out, it was much happier.

Pretty much this. There's a 10mm nut holding the bowl on, take it off and have a look-see. Could be as simple as having "gristle" (as I would call it) gumming up the bowl and float.

Good luck!

PS the 19mm reach/ 14mm thread spark plugs most of these use cross in physical size to MANY car plugs, including possibly yours. Heat range may be off a bit, but it would still run. Run it ten minutes on the substitute plug then swap the original back in.

The OP said he tried starter fluid and it did not even pop. That pretty much rules out fuel. And seeing a weak spark rules out the low oil cutoff. So we are back to the plug or other ignition components.

I assume the choke was off when starter fluid attempted. Otherwise it can block it from getting in.

I read you are getting a weak spark but worth a try:

If equipped with a low oil level or low oil pressure safety shut-off switch,
confirm the oil level is okay and then try by-passing it.

I've had one go bad right after an oil change:
ran the generator for 20 minutes to get the oil hot,
drained / re-filled the oil within 10 minutes,
engine would'nt fire at all until I troubleshooted the faulty oil switch.

Temporarily by-passed it and the engine started right up first crank.

Last edited:
How's it going, OP. Are your lights on?
laugh.gif

It took an hour to get my little Colman Powermate 2200 going. It's always the plug. I keep a spare new plug but starts and runs best with an ancient used mower plug that I have modified the ground strap. Anyway, it's ready. fresh oil change and fresh gas.

Have you checked the Engine "On" Switch or the Fuel Shut-off Switch to endure both are in the correct position?

Try this and set the choke and use starter fluid again. Don't forget to use Sta-bil Fuel Stabilizer year-around and mark the calendar to start the generator every couple of months.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO POSTED AND OFFERED ADVICE. YOU FOLKS ARE AWESOME :)

Changed the Torch brand plug for an Autolite 4194. The spark changed from barely visible to a fat blue spark. I found a way to squirt starting fluid directly into the carb thru the primer hose. Holding the choke on manually works great too. Got the genny started, filled the tank with stabilized E zero gas, and changed the oil with Mobil 1 0W40. I ran the genny hard for 2 hours with an electric heater for load. I am as ready as possible :)

Just an FYI, VP-Fuels sells a product called C-9. It's a storage and race fuel that simply never goes bad. (it's rated for 2 years, but I have some that's a decade old and still fine)

Order it online. It shows up in a 5 gallon steel container. This stuff is AWESOME. Your carb WILL NOT gum up. No matter what.

THUMBvp_racing_fuels_c9-640x804-300x224.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of starting issues with reviews on Amazon, with that generator. A few have offered fixes that worked for them.

I'd start with simple stuff, good spark, quality fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back