2011 GMC 5.3l M1 7,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought the truck new,been a DIY since day one w M! and WIX...figured Id check out what
the lab had to say.. The dummy computer says change oil at 10K,I been changing at 7K
and I am thinking I may need sooner changes ? Not sure. Lab seems optimistic

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure why you think it needs to be changed sooner? It would be nice to have seen what the TBN reading was, but nonetheless, there is nothing here to indicate the OCI should be shortened--quite the contrary, I would go to 10K without a second thought. Wear metals are well under control, no fuel dilution, viscosity is good, and insolubles are low.

Wear metals seem ok, without Base Number is hard to say extend the interval. I would stick with 7K, is this a Valvoline product ? That a lot of make up oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
Wear metals seem ok, without Base Number is hard to say extend the interval. I would stick with 7K, is this a Valvoline product ? That a lot of make up oil.
The report shows M1, but I did not see the amount of make-up oil until you mentioned it. OP, is that correct? You used six (6) quarts of oil during this run?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
The report shows M1, but I did not see the amount of make-up oil until you mentioned it. OP, is that correct? You used six (6) quarts of oil during this run?

Yes,all M1..Not sure what "make up oil" means?

I dump 6 quarts in and and ride,never look back

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Make up oil is oil you add when it burns/leaks off.

Nah,I never added any addl oil after oil change

Yeah, the #'s look good, you could probably go longer. The viscosity and flashpoint pretty much show that the oil isn't hurt. Make sure to check it and keep it topped off if it's losing any. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: Excel
Nah,I never added any addl oil after oil change.
In that case, make-up oil should have been 0.0 instead of 6.0. How many months was the oil in use (unless I missed that somewhere)?

Those Iron and Copper numbers are too high to suit me. Being that the oil used was M1 5W-30, just about any other oil at all would get you better numbers. Blindfold yourself and throw a dart at the oil section. If the dart pierces a bottle of Chevron 10W-40, that would be perfect.

In that case, make-up oil should have been 0.0 instead of 6.0. How many months was the oil in use (unless I missed that somewhere)?

Seeing this is his 1st report, I think he thought it was total quarts of oil used. Well, now that other members has explained to him, he knows to put zero the next time if no extra oil is added after the O.C.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Those Iron and Copper numbers are too high to suit me. Being that the oil used was M1 5W-30, just about any other oil at all would get you better numbers. Blindfold yourself and throw a dart at the oil section. If the dart pierces a bottle of Chevron 10W-40, that would be perfect.

By LS standards they are good.

Originally Posted By: alcyon

Seeing this is his 1st report, I think he thought it was total quarts of oil used. Well, now that other members has explained to him, he knows to put zero the next time if no extra oil is added after the O.C.

just a technicality ,the report none the less is accurate .

Not one person would ever tell me Chevron was better than M1 than you..Id love to see
something of proof why you think this is a better product,so far all i see is a thicker
viscosity and going from 30 to 40 weight should always offer a little better protection
under load but not necessarily day to day driving

Originally Posted By: alcyon

Agreed--it was simply to point that out. How many months was the oil in use?

Not one person would ever tell me Chevron was better than M1 than you..Id love to see something of proof why you think this is a better product,so far all i see is a thicker viscosity and going from 30 to 40 weight should always offer a little better protection under load but not necessarily day to day driving
This is just another assumption by Merkava for two reasons--1) He does not like M1 and 2) He is always on a "thicker oil is better" campaign.

Not one person would ever tell me Chevron was better than M1 than you...

M1 5W-30 is not a good match for your GM truck engine. It does alright with some Japanese cars like Hondas, but those GM truck engines have always done better in this UOA section with 40 weights.

M1 5W-30 is not a good match for your GM truck engine.
Based upon what?

Agreed--it was simply to point that out. How many months was the oil in use?

Id have to look in my records booklet where I right the info down but
a few months at most..

M1 5W-30 is not a good match for your GM truck engine. It does alright with some Japanese cars like Hondas, but those GM truck engines have always done better in this UOA section with 40 weights.

There is always something better and more expensive too...
Telling me to use chevron 10/40 without some proof of
a better engine is silly ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back