Goodyear Assurance allseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
This summer I threw I purchased a pair of Goodyear Assurance allseason tires for the front on my cherokee XJ. I thought it was a great tire and liked the ride. The tire comes only with 9/32 tread when new. I put about 1,500 miles on the Jeep and I see I am left with somewhere between 8/32-7/32 tread. I did a wheel alignment when I got them and no suspension work was needed, I don't drive like my tail is on fire. its my daily driver my commute being less than 3-5 miles each way.
My question, is it normal for such wear in only 1,500 miles? Do I (can I) need to warranty them out?

Last edited:
Goodyear will likely only warranty the tires when they're down to 3/32".

Does the tire service center offer an exchange program?

Why did you put entry-level (as Goodyear says in their description...), all-season passenger car tires on a XJ?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

No they don't unfortunately it was a mom and pop shop.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Why did you put entry-level (as Goodyear says in their description...), all-season passenger car tires on a XJ?

I don't go off-roading just all city driving (New York City) from point A-->B
As a college student I have very little discretionary income, and it was these tires at 104 a pop balanced & installed or $45 for used. I figured go with these. I could have gone with Hankook at $90 installed but I figured better spend an extra $14 for a US made tire, I think I should'ove gone with Hankook

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buck91
Have had great experience with the assurance triple tread....

My sister has it on her car and they're great. But the assuance all season is a different bread from my understanding. According to a goodyear video I saw its an entry level tire made to compete with the cheaper (Asian) tires like Kumho...

The Assurance All Season is a replacement for the Integrity.

Is one axle more worn than the other? That is, are the rear tires more worn than the front? Or vice versa?

Perhaps the first 32nd wears more quickly than the rest of the tire. See how long it takes to get down to the wear bars.

Is the XJ known to be hard on tires?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Assurance All Season is a replacement for the Integrity.

Is one axle more worn than the other? That is, are the rear tires more worn than the front? Or vice versa?

Perhaps the first 32nd wears more quickly than the rest of the tire. See how long it takes to get down to the wear bars.

Is the XJ known to be hard on tires?

Rears are different brand tires and (much) older and lots of tread. This is a RWD vehicle (no 4wd on mine). The only thing is that my steering box is older and the aliment guy said he tightened it but I should replace it. My mechanic said its okay. Go figure!! Hopefully you are right about the first 32nds
I don't know if the XJ is hard on tires, its a shame I think its a great tire in terms of stopping ability and traction in rain.

Last edited:
The XJ's are heavy vehicles so they will be tougher-than-average (whatever that means) on tires.

My sister has had two of them.

Buzzing around NYC will drink gas and chew up tires on any car. Repeated stopping is what's wearing your rubber down.

Next time seek a "T" rated tire. I often wonder about the overall quality of the Goodyear brand.

Also, country of origin varies widely within a brand.

Is yours a Jeep Cherokee Freedom? I saw a white one once on Staten Island. Kira

First, short trips wear tires very rapidly. So 1 to 2/32nds in 1500 miles may what your driving does.

Yes, Goodyear won't warrant tires for rapid wear until you get to 4 /32nds - and may even require you to go to 2/32nds. HOWEVER, the local shop might do something outside the box - although, you'll have to get in the range of 4/32nds.

Curious, why did you replace only 2 and why did the shop put them on the front? I wonder if that is not part of the rapid wear situation.

Last edited:
A 2wd Cherokee should be at or right under 3000 pounds.

The newer steering boxes generally aren't a problem - the Jeeps that suffered chronic steering box problems were the ones with Saginaw boxes ... you can tell these by the GM (saginaw) steering column. If anything is "lose" in the front end, it is probably the tracbar.

I could see city driving with a lot of braking, short tripping leading to excesive front tire wear.

Mine, even with the front aligned and HD tie rod, still chews the front tires.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I think this is due to the caster and/or steering axis angle those Jeeps have. I could, surprisingly, find no good pictures of this. But if you turn the wheels to full lock in either direction, they tend to lay over on their sides.

Could also be not enough Ackermann in the geometry. My CR-V seemed to suffer from this. The more you turn the wheels, the more the inside wheel needs to turn "more" than the outside wheel. Our MDX (and now Ridgeline) always did sharp turns better than our CR-V. Sure enough, the CR-V has less Ackermann in the alignment specifications, which tends to "push" or scrub the outside tire.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
First, short trips wear tires very rapidly. So 1 to 2/32nds in 1500 miles may what your driving does.

Yes, Goodyear won't warrant tires for rapid wear until you get to 4 /32nds - and may even require you to go to 2/32nds. HOWEVER, the local shop might do something outside the box - although, you'll have to get in the range of 4/32nds.

Curious, why did you replace only 2 and why did the shop put them on the front? I wonder if that is not part of the rapid wear situation.

I purchased the XJ with good tires on back and bad + wrong size tires on front. I also had the death wobble and had 2 mechanics go over the suspension and both said it was tight but was way out of alignment, so I purchased the 2 new tires and had it aligned

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I think this is due to the caster and/or steering axis angle those Jeeps have. I could, surprisingly, find no good pictures of this. But if you turn the wheels to full lock in either direction, they tend to lay over on their sides.

Could also be not enough Ackermann in the geometry. My CR-V seemed to suffer from this. The more you turn the wheels, the more the inside wheel needs to turn "more" than the outside wheel. Our MDX (and now Ridgeline) always did sharp turns better than our CR-V. Sure enough, the CR-V has less Ackermann in the alignment specifications, which tends to "push" or scrub the outside tire.

My XJ has a crazy turn radius, I can get into the tightest parking spots where only smart cars and corollas would dear try, I can almost do a 90 degree turn lol

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Definitely! They really lay the tires over at full lock. If you turn sharp and are going at anything over an idle, you can hear it scrubbing the fronts

Originally Posted By: zvm77us
.....I also had the death wobble and had 2 mechanics go over the suspension and both said it was tight but was way out of alignment, so I purchased the 2 new tires and had it aligned. .......

........ My XJ has a crazy turn radius, I can get into the tightest parking spots where only smart cars and corollas would dear try, I can almost do a 90 degree turn lol

OK, I think we've identified the culprits.

A "Death Wobble" is a sign of something worn and loose. It is not always easily identified. It is partially caused by the large caster Jeep spec's into their alignment - and shows up after some component gets too much wear.

Second, sharp turns are terrible for tire wear. If you use that feature more than once every thousand miles, the tires are not going to last very long.

If we couple those 2 things above with the short trips - Yup, tires are going to wear pretty quickly. Just hope you get even wear and can make a warranty claim.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Second, sharp turns are terrible for tire wear. If you use that feature more than once every thousand miles, the tires are not going to last very long.

Sharp as in, lock to lock steering; or sharp as in, lots of steering angle at mild speeds? Although I'd think both are about the same.

I'd think many driveways involve a full lock turn to get in/out of (or near lock anyhow). Most parking lots are the same. So anyone in suburbia would be bit by this.

Unfortunately parking in NYC many times requires full lock turns of me. I'm starting to think next time to buy used tires and keep on replacing them every year or two. I might have done this but needed to get a good wheel alignment so I went the new route. In NY with all the potholes and stop and go tires will wear out I guess. Plus with the way his highness our great mayor takes care of street maintenance for sure doesn't help.

Originally Posted By: zvm77us
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

No they don't unfortunately it was a mom and pop shop.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

I don't go off-roading just all city driving (New York City) from point A-->B
As a college student I have very little discretionary income, and it was these tires at 104 a pop balanced & installed or $45 for used. I figured go with these. I could have gone with Hankook at $90 installed but I figured better spend an extra $14 for a US made tire, I think I should'ove gone with Hankook

Tire wear is not linear. In other words you cannot extrapolate your total miles based on wear from the first 1500 miles. Tires in general wear faster when new and more slowly once broken in. Don't stress about it. The fact 1/32 was used in 1500 miles doesn't mean every 1500 miles you will use 1/32 of tread.

Although some Assurance sizes are made in the US, most are made in China, Chile and Canada--particularly the fuel max variety.

Your best pair of tires should be on the rear of the vehicle with your more worn pair on the front axle. Most people think this is counterintuitive but safety wise when someone buys just 2 tires the new ones always need to go on the back axle.

Originally Posted By: ToadU

Tire wear is not linear. In other words you cannot extrapolate your total miles based on wear from the first 1500 miles. Tires in general wear faster when new and more slowly once broken in. Don't stress about it. The fact 1/32 was used in 1500 miles doesn't mean every 1500 miles you will use 1/32 of tread.

Although some Assurance sizes are made in the US, most are made in China, Chile and Canada--particularly the fuel max variety.

Thank you, luckily mine are US made. I love the tire in terms of stability on the road and braking. I was worried about its wear. Thank you for some clarification.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back