Chrome no longer supports Linux Mint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I just installed an update to Chrome on my LM machine and a message that popped up saying updates to Chrome will stop soon and this version of Linux is no longer supported. What gives? I'm running 17.3 Mate 32-bit.

I prefer to use Chrome since everything syncs across all my devices and I heavily use a few of the Extensions like Hangouts.

Not the answer I was hoping for...the processor in the machine is 32-bit so I can't switch to a 64-bit OS.

Have you verified that Chromium browser doesn't sync with your Google account stuff? I'm pretty sure I've had Chromium on a Linux machine before, and it sync'd all my bookmarks. I may have had to manually install the extensions that I wanted.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Have you verified that Chromium browser doesn't sync with your Google account stuff? I'm pretty sure I've had Chromium on a Linux machine before, and it sync'd all my bookmarks. I may have had to manually install the extensions that I wanted.

Chromium is exactly the same as Chrome (in fact, is the basis of Chrome) with the exception of the built-in Flash garbage plugin, PDF rendering and some error and crash reporting. It'll sync just fine.

Chromium, being open source, might still be available as a 32 bit application for a while, depending on who it is that is compiling and packaging it.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

Chromium is exactly the same as Chrome (in fact, is the basis of Chrome) with the exception of the built-in Flash garbage plugin, PDF rendering and some error and crash reporting. It'll sync just fine.

That's what I was recalling. dishdude, I'd try Chromium...unless it, too, will lack 64 bit support.

That's what I was recalling. dishdude, I'd try Chromium...unless it, too, will lack 64 bit support.

I downloaded Chromium and it sure is Chrome. I'm not getting the message that support will end so this might be the solution.

While chromium is the basis for chrome, chrome is a better product in Linux. Just go do some browser benchmarks between the two. Chrome properly implements all the plugins and extension. Hardware acceleration under chrome actually works for me where as chromium will not. Google does a great job of refining and making chrome "just work" for the linux distros with zero hassle.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
While chromium is the basis for chrome, chrome is a better product in Linux. Just go do some browser benchmarks between the two. Chrome properly implements all the plugins and extension. Hardware acceleration under chrome actually works for me where as chromium will not. Google does a great job of refining and making chrome "just work" for the linux distros with zero hassle.

I agree that Chrome is a nice and polished product, but it's a moot point for someone with a 32-bit processor who wants to keep receiving browser updates and new features. I will be wrapped up in this, too, if I decide to keep running my old Compaq laptop with Edubuntu -- it's got a 32-bit Intel Celeron M processor.

I agree that Chrome is a nice and polished product, but it's a moot point for someone with a 32-bit processor who wants to keep receiving browser updates and new features. I will be wrapped up in this, too, if I decide to keep running my old Compaq laptop with Edubuntu -- it's got a 32-bit Intel Celeron M processor.

Is it a 300 or 400 series Celeron? Those things are ancient.

I forgot, there is another good option now days. Opera for linux is fully up and running and built on chromium. It is fully supported, has sync features across all platforms/devices and in linux, I can confirm the import from firefox or chrome feature does work. That makes for a rather easy transition to Opera if you want to try it.

It is just about as fully refined and fast as Chrome in Linux.

Last edited:

Is it a 300 or 400 series Celeron? Those things are ancient.

It's one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonah_(microprocessor)

In a Compaq laptop purchased in either 2005 or 2006. It runs Windows 7 and Edubuntu about the same. It did struggle some with Windows 10.

So I was able to log in to Chromium with my Google login and it is almost identical to Chrome, all my bookmarks and extensions automagically loaded just like Chrome. This was a pretty easy solution - is it as secure as Chrome? I'm a little confused as to why both exist when they are pretty much the same thing?

Chromium is open source. I think it's "sponsored" by Google, but it's not as polished of a product. I don't know whether it's as secure. It also probably doesn't include all of the plug-ins. Can you view Flash with it? You may have to install a few things (like Flash plug-in).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back