2007 Focus Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Focus just turned 150K(miles) and thought I would give a run down on this car. Parts replaced.

1) Engine coolant thermostat

2) Top motor mount

3) Two alternators

4) Heater fan control switch

5) Brakes on all four wheels

6) Both front headlight bulbs

7) I change the so called life time air filter box and replaced it with a Doorman unit that takes a normal paper filter

8) Battery

9) Sway bar link ends

That's about it. We use this car as our grocery getter and gets a lot of local miles. The engine still runs great and shows no sign of engine wear. Engine is very clean through the oil fill hole, and uses no oil in my normal 10K OCI. Also the trans shifts fine with my 30K fluid change it gets.

Last edited:
Seems like alot just IMO but similar to our 02. Just out of curiosity picked my brain on everything I've replaced on our 02 in 125k outside I'd consider normal maintenance.

1. EGR tube.. later bypassed
2. Temp sensor
3. Coil Pack.. 3 times LOL!
4. Top and dog bone motor mount
5. Struts (busted springs on both side known defect)
6. Timing belt and later the tensioner
7. AC twice over $2k easily.. I don't count this against the car

That's all I can remember.. It rides and drives good and runs like a scolded dog but I still consider it a partial POJ (Piece of Junk) most of the time. Always something wrong and if I do fix it something else pops up! Right now the ignition cylinder needs to be replaced... I don't dare fix it. The wife and I have debates if it was a Corolla if we'd have the same issue's.

My sister did drive it during her college years so that could most of the problem... and after she passed I inherited it so it's cursed as well!

I had an 07 focus zx3 5mt it was a very fun car.

It didnt have ABS so it could be scary in the rain with certain tires.

The 2 liter duratech engine... oil went in golden.. 5-7000miles later came out golden. Easiest engine on oil I've owned. No oil use AT ALL.

Car was light (zx3 5mt was lightest model). It was like driving a 140hp golf cart.. in a good way.

Traded it in at 40000miles with just oil changes except a few oddball things.

The hatch lock rubber grommet fell off the car.. took them a week to get a replacement in.

One of the rear struts was making a ka-chunk noise over bumps.

Took it in 3x finally they figured it out.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
What's this lifetime air filter box?

It was a sealed air box that couldn't have the filters replaced. Here is a pic after I opened it up. The Doorman air box has a replaceable conventional air filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Does Ford specify any replacement interval for it?

Not sure, but mine had a handful of dirt and leaves in the intake.

I replaced mine with OE replacement. $70 from ebay. I think the manufacturers interval is 150,000 miles. The actual air inlet is inside the top of drivers side fender, and the box fits forward and inboard of the wheel well.

Originally Posted By: jorton
I replaced mine with OE replacement. $70 from ebay. I think the manufacturers interval is 150,000 miles. The actual air inlet is inside the top of drivers side fender, and the box fits forward and inboard of the wheel well.

Was that a used one? I found the cost of new ones(OEM) was around $400 at parts stores and then not all of them could order it. I paid somewhere around $225 for the Doorman.

Last edited:
I am considering buying a Focus. I am still on the fence, the ones I see have a lot of miles.

Aside from two alternator replacements (perhaps a bad replacement part?) it looks like normal things and the list is quite short for a 150k mile car. Good job on the maintenance
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I am considering buying a Focus. I am still on the fence, the ones I see have a lot of miles.

If you don't need the wagon, or hatch back, I think there are better options out there.
Mine has be pretty decent so far, and I like driving it. My main gripe is that stock dogbone mount is way to soft and allows the engine to flop around, lurching the car if you don't drive around it. So I got the softest solid polyurethane dogbone I could find, and now the motor is controlled and no lurching, but there's some vibration at idle and some extra noise at WO.
Most lower end fwd mtx cars have a bit more engine flop than I would like so I guess its not strictly a Focus problem.
I find its fun to drive, the gear ratios are spaced well, shifts well, steering is reasonably quick with good feel, suspension is a bit soft for hard driving, but the chassis does everything you ask and is quite neutral. The motor is eager, and has a good mid range surge of power, but with no VVT it falls off a bit up top 5500rpm+.
If you just need a sedan though and like to drive, I think the price difference between a Focus and a Mazda3 would be worth it, although you could try a ZX4 ST and see what its like compared to the Mazda.
The stock air filter has a restriction gauge to let you know when its due for changing. Mine hasn't moved yet and I don't worry about it. On the plus side, its a true CAI and has even a nice growl you can hear with your window open.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Aside from two alternator replacements (perhaps a bad replacement part?) it looks like normal things and the list is quite short for a 150k mile car. Good job on the maintenance
thumbsup2.gif

The ocus has been a reliable car. I hope to drive it many more miles.

Nice, I'm just shy of 107k and need to do the thermostat I think.

I've had to do the following:
Brakes, Battery, and Tires.

I also had to repair/replace the PCV hose due to cracking. It caused a CEL and was running rough. This is a PITA because its behind the intake manifold.

I joke and say that I've bonded with "her" and now I can't ever get rid of her.

My 2011 is at 60K miles. Not really high in mileage, but it has had a hard life. If I were to have some sort of significant failure on it, I couldn't blame the car based on how it has been treated. I don't plan on lightening up on it, either - have a few camping trips planned this summer and the Focus is going to be the "tow rig" for it.

The Poly dogbone and rear sway bar make mine a blast to drive!

I do have some sort of clunk in the suspension. But it's too cold to figure out now.

Originally Posted By: sirgerman
I am thinking about a Cobalt now, any comments ?

I'd start a new thread in the Vehicles section.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: sirgerman
I am thinking about a Cobalt now, any comments ?

I'd start a new thread in the Vehicles section.

I had one but didn't keep it long. From what I hear they are very reliable, but I had a 2 door and decided I wanted a 4 door car and sold it. Mine was a 2006. I got 30 mpg on the average, which I thought was pretty good for a commuter. I would get the 4 door Cobalt as rear visibility and headroom is a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back