Another American business sold to the Chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Do you think the ones who sold their companies to foreigners did so for the benefit of us ? They don't care ! They only care for their own benefit and pocket !
Do you own any stock? Mutual Funds? Retirement savings? If so then you are the beneficiary. You see those funds invest in these big bad companies and require a positive return so you make money and can retire/buy whatever/etc. So while people are moaning about these "big bad companies" they tend to forget where their money lives and works!
Yep, Americans don't want to see a drop in their retirement accounts.

What I mean was the owner didn't care abut American workers and or customers, they only care their own pocket. Whatever the new foreign owner(s) do with the company and/or workers they don't give a second to think about.

Unfortunately new company will trim the fat and employees will be laid off. This happens in any industry.

Ever heard of Albert Dunlap (Rambo in pinstripes) ?
His book is very important to any management team. Cut fat and increase profit margin.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: grampi
it's time for us to start worrying about what's best for us...do you think any foreigners that are purchasing our businesses give a rat's behind about what's best for us?

^^^My EXACT response to all of those who defend, praise, and even deify all of the foreign auto manufacturers who set up transplants here.

Contrary to popular belief, they are NOT doing it for OUR benefit.
31.gif
mad.gif

Do you think the ones who sold their companies to foreigners did so for the benefit of us ? They don't care ! They only care for their own benefit and pocket !

NO, they are just as bad, if not worse.

I almost view them as traitors, despite the vociferous defense of them by many on here as just 'capitalists'.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Well duh...that's the point

So you basically want the rest of us to be vassals to the US empire...nice moral position

No, I'd just like to see American businesses to stay owned by Americans....

5% profit margin = Sell the business.

Who cares if an American appliance business is sold to Chinese company.

We should all care...who wants to work for foreigners in their own country?

Then you just need to find enough Americans who want to buy them and keep them American-owned.

A couple years ago I was in the large appliance dept at my local Sears store, buying a HE washer and dryer. I also asked the salesman about refrigerators. He said he no longer recommends the GE ones because they had been going downhill for years.

Hundreds of thousands if not millions, including myself do work for a foreign company and don't mind it one bit.

Originally Posted By: emg

Then you just need to find enough Americans who want to buy them and keep them American-owned.

You can buy shares of these foreign companies in US stock markets.

I'll work for a foreigner if they pay me a higher salary and give me a raise.

Seriously, you are still working in the US, dealing with US labor law, with a US management (unless you are higher up at director / VP / President level), making US salary. Any company that wants to recruit you because it NEED you will pay you more than what your current company is willing to. That's good for you.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

I'll work for a foreigner if they pay me a higher salary and give me a raise.

Seriously, you are still working in the US, dealing with US labor law, with a US management (unless you are higher up at director / VP / President level), making US salary. Any company that wants to recruit you because it NEED you will pay you more than what your current company is willing to. That's good for you.

Problem is, most of these companies that are bought out by foreigners pay their employees less...I can't think of one instance where it was the other way around...

Problem is, most of these companies that are bought out by foreigners pay their employees less...I can't think of one instance where it was the other way around...

Silicon Valley !

The target market here is China. The US is being used for its cachet of being "Better than made in China". There are still a LOT of people in China who would love to own a made in USA fridge. Haier probably saw a giant market opening, sort of like GM stumbled into with Buick. Assemble the fridge here, mark it up a bit, ship it back to the mainland as a "premium" American brand.

This is sort of how the well-to-do in the old Soviet Union all had West German appliances. The well-to-do in China want US-made stuff. Fine by me, if it keeps the factories open and people fed here.

You can say that for most of these companies that are bought out by American Investors too.

Actually, add European Investors as well. My wife's work place were bought out (by a Swiss company) and they slashed the health insurance to a point that it doesn't cover 100% of anything, sort of turning it into a high copay health insurance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
The target market here is China. The US is being used for its cachet of being "Better than made in China". There are still a LOT of people in China who would love to own a made in USA fridge. Haier probably saw a giant market opening, sort of like GM stumbled into with Buick. Assemble the fridge here, mark it up a bit, ship it back to the mainland as a "premium" American brand.

This is sort of how the well-to-do in the old Soviet Union all had West German appliances. The well-to-do in China want US-made stuff. Fine by me, if it keeps the factories open and people fed here.

Which is better for US and American consumers ?

A foreigner bought an American company, stays in US employing American workers to produce goods for sale here and export.

The same foreigner open a factory in his/her homeland producing goods and export it to America.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back