How long is too long in between running a diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I still have some questions and concerns (at least in my mind) on how often I should start and drive my motorhome which is built on the 2014 Ford F550 powerstroke 6.7. I believe the Ford manual suggests at least starting it for 15 minutes and going through the gears at least every 15 days. Am running 5w-40 synthetics now and will for at least 2 more oil changes (then considering 10w-30).

Concerned (rightfully or not?) about it sitting too long before starts, etc. I use diesel fuel stabilizer, so fuel degrading isn’t an issue. Just curious if you think I am being ridiculous in following the every 15 day thing (that I got from the Ford manual).

Has anyone looked at engine wear and time in between starts? I appreciate any advice or criticisms.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
I believe the Ford manual suggests at least starting it for 15 minutes and going through the gears at least every 15 days.

This would surprise me. I would like evidence.

If you can keep moisture out of the engine then it can sit for years unharmed. There are desiccant products that can help. I wouldn't try to fog a diesel.

Driving at least every 15 days? That doesn't make sense to me. I might try to do it once a month, but probably no more frequent than that.

I wouldn't worry about the diesel fuel stabilizer at all. Diesel fuel isn't like gasoline.

I may have made a mistake...I will look up later...they recommend some interval...might be every 30 days. The reason for frequency is most likely moisture related other than engine oil related? Thanks for the advice...thought I was been a little crazy with that.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Interesting. My peterbilt sat 20 years untouched. 3 new batteries and I was driving it home doing the 2 stick boogey

And it sure didn't have a VG turbo that was mentioned. Those only started being put on heavy diesels this century. My biggest concern over letting a heavy vehicle sit for several months or more without moving is seals in drive axles and such starting to dry out or harden and possibly leaking. And then, untreated diesel sitting around for extended periods of time can also have its own issues.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
I believe the Ford manual suggests at least starting it for 15 minutes...
15 minutes? That would not be enough time to warm it up properly and would probably be worse just letting it sit.

I'd drive it at highway speed for 20 minutes or so. I don't think idling will do much. Are you far enough from work where you could just drive it there once or twice a month?

I don't think you need to worry....

My Duramax used to sit for 9 months at a time hooked to my 5th wheel travel trailer, Though it was stored inside, Full of Diesel, Battery Tender, And on jack stands to keep the tires from getting flat spots. This was when the truck was new....Like yours. It now has over 300,000 miles on it....No stuck turbo vanes & No seals in the diff have been changed.

Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
Driving at least every 15 days? That doesn't make sense to me. I might try to do it once a month, but probably no more frequent than that.

I wouldn't worry about the diesel fuel stabilizer at all. Diesel fuel isn't like gasoline.

+1 to both. The storage life of diesel is longer, assuming no microbial activity. I just drove my 81 240D the other day and fueled up. The last time I fueled up was in 2014 at over $3/gal. I believe the shelf stability spec for diesel is two years. Less volatiles helps.

I'd only run it if I could get all systems up to full operating temp. Mechanically I'd not be concerned, my greater concern would probably be running the AC to keep seals conditioned.

Hi Guys,

Page 252 of the owners manual...if you plan on storing your vehicle for an extended period of time (30 days or more)...Start the engine every 15 days. Run at fast idle until it reaches normal operating temperature...with your foot on the brake, shift through all the gears while the engine is running.

That is why I have aimed at driving (if I can) at least every 15 days or so.

Yup - that's what it states alright.

I totally disagree, though. If you do put in fresh oil and store well, there's no sane reason to start it up every 15 days, warm it fully, and shift it through the gears. If you have to do that, for Pete's sake, you might as well drive the darn thing twice a month to work ...

The owner's manual for my 2001 Dodge Cummins says to start the engine at least every 30 days so that the oil pump won't lose its prime.

If it were me I'd store it for the winter and forget about it. I know the turbo is the reasoning for the start during stored recommendation, but why store if you have to start twice monthly? Nothing else on the engine requires bi-monthly starts.

With what I do I have probably 20 engines that sit almost 6 months without use, although no VVT, but several diesels.

I wonder if a pre-luber pump would help? Flip a switch and watch the oil pressure build without starting the engine. It isn't going to do anything for the transmission, but I don't think that's the concern, it's the turbo.

You can let gas engines sit for long periods of time if you have a gas stabilizer or 100% gasoline in the tank.

Diesels need to be run every couple of weeks or so. They just don't need to sit for that long. Kinda reminds me I need to go out and start my 7.3.

Let the batteries run down a little, and they don't like to start because the engine has to be spinning fast enough for the engine to start.

Thanks to all. It is not a hardship whatsoever to run every once in a while...I love taking it for a drive. Thanks for all the input.

Originally Posted By: Bamaman1
You can let gas engines sit for long periods of time if you have a gas stabilizer or 100% gasoline in the tank.

Diesels need to be run every couple of weeks or so. They just don't need to sit for that long. Kinda reminds me I need to go out and start my 7.3.

Let the batteries run down a little, and they don't like to start because the engine has to be spinning fast enough for the engine to start.
That's why both my 7.3 & 6.2 diesels have solar battery chargers on them, that way the batteries are topped up & ready to go whenever they're needed. Both non-turbo as well.

Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike

Diesel fuel can go bad if water vapor condenses inside the tank, and there is a fungus that will grow in the diesel/water inter-phase. Since the tank feeds from the bottom, the filter will become clogged to the point that the engine won't be able to go much above idle. I know this because I was a mechanic at an Army Reserve staging yard. We'd have this problem every summer in the trucks and generators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back