255/45R18 opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the titles says, I'm looking for some new tires in 255/45R18. Load rating 103Y. I have Continental DWS on the car now, and I am considering the new DWS 06 as well as the Cooper RS3-A.

My goals are quiet ride, comfort, and reasonable able mileage. I have seen about 35,000 miles on the current DWS but they will need replace by the end of the year.

The vehicle is a 5,200lb AWD Phaeton.

Your thoughts?

http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/kumho/ecsta-lx-platinum-ku27/p/tv193000557

These are the only tires I've ever truly loved, super quiet and smooth, sticky with wet and dry weather, they take a beating too, bent a rim with one and didn't damage the tire. I ran through a full set on my CTS-V. Outstanding. I've spent plenty of time behind the wheel of a similarly sized car with DWS's. Not really impressed with them or the life he got out of his first set. Probably better in the snow but you have AWD so I would not make my choice based on snow traction.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Pirelli P Zero or Yokohama Advan Sport

Fast wearing summer only tires fit don't fit his requirements.

I burned through a whole set of Rosso's on a Mustang Cobra. Same 220 tread wear as the P-zero. Rode well but wore fast.

The issue I am having is finding tires that meet the recommended load/speed rating by VW. For this size tire, they recommend 103Y. All the recommended tires thus far have only been available with load/speed ratings of 99W. The lower speed rating doesn't bother me, but owners have reported greatly increased wear and in one case delamination when "99" rated tires were fitted.

I have added the Kuhmo Ecsta 4X II to my list to research. My hesitation with those particular tires is noise. The first generation Ecsta 4X was on and then off of my 3er. They hummed at low speeds and positively ROARED on the highway.

You can get 99 load rated tires. But you have to run them at max pressure as listed on the tires. Which hurts the ride. Mine had 99 rated raptors on it. I set the pressure to match the spec for max load capacity. The 103 are much better for ride quality and tire life.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
How important is winter traction for this set of tires?

Not at all. If I ever move somewhere with a winter, some 17" steelies will get Blizzaks.

Makes sense. I should have noticed that you're in NC. :]

Do you think a 99Y rating would work for you? If so, the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 should be on your list. If I had to make a call right now, I'd go for that in a heartbeat unless I felt I absolutely needed the higher load rating.

I consider it a must. Owners have seen issues with the lower rated tires before and as Panther 427 said, I would have to run the 99 tires at close to max pressure which would increase noise and wear but decrease comfort. It really does seem my choices are limited.

Discount tire listed 3 103 rated all season tires
A continental, Bridgestone, and a Yoko. 45k to 50k mile guarantee.

If you liked the DWS, then definitely nothing wrong with the DWS06.

The Zeons are Chinese, so you should avoid them.

Does your car require Y-rated tires? I tried to look up your Phaeton, and it seems W is acceptable, and I looked up both V8 and W12 Phaetons that take the 255/45-18 tire size.

Because if you can get away with W, you have more options, like:
Kumho Ecsta 4x II
Falken Ziex ZE950

You don't need a Y-rating, but you do need the 103 XL load index. Unfortunately, the Kumho Solus TA71 is only a 99 load index. Even tire shops that are willing to install lower speed ratings WILL NOT install a lower load index, and for very good reason. Especially on a heavy pig like the Phaeton.

My choice would be the ZE950. But since you already have the DWS06 and seem to like them don't mess with success
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I consider it a must. Owners have seen issues with the lower rated tires before and as Panther 427 said, I would have to run the 99 tires at close to max pressure which would increase noise and wear but decrease comfort. It really does seem my choices are limited.

In that case, of the tires mentioned in this thread, my vote is the Conti, hands-down. Wouldn't even consider the others next to it.

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus
255 /45 R18 103W XL BSW

Yokohama YK580

Continental ControlContact Sport AS

Continental ExtremeContact DW

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The issue I am having is finding tires that meet the recommended load/speed rating by VW. For this size tire, they recommend 103Y. All the recommended tires thus far have only been available with load/speed ratings of 99W. The lower speed rating doesn't bother me, but owners have reported greatly increased wear and in one case delamination when "99" rated tires were fitted.

I have added the Kuhmo Ecsta 4X II to my list to research. My hesitation with those particular tires is noise. The first generation Ecsta 4X was on and then off of my 3er. They hummed at low speeds and positively ROARED on the highway.

I ran a set of Ecsta 4X IIs on the back of my Cadillac, I took them off around half way for spares. After that first 40% was gone they got noisy. Never really liked them, seemed to ding my MPG a little too.

As for weight rating, your Phaeton has my Cadillac beat on curb weight by a good margin, but I've driven this car long distance full of people and luggage several times. Also have pulled over 1g in corners with those Kuhmo Platinums, weight aside those tires got a workout on my car. Interesting predicament.

I would look at what Mercedes is running on some of their models OEM for guidance.

You do not need 103Y except you always put the maximum tyre pressure on the current tyre. VW already put the right pressure guide for all types of tyre, in this case if you buy 99 load index tyre, you just need to increase the pressure a bit.

Tyre wear is more compound related, so if you do not want high tyre wear look for tyre with high UTGQ rating and typically grand touring tyre will last longer compared to max performance tyre. In the US the tyre with >50k miles tread warranty is good tyre that resists wear.

V8TirePressures.jpg

@kr
The DWS06 has a 5-0k warranty; the Falken Ziex ZE950 has a 45k warranty.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy

I ran a set of Ecsta 4X IIs on the back of my Cadillac, I took them off around half way for spares. After that first 40% was gone they got noisy. Never really liked them, seemed to ding my MPG a little too.

How many miles did it take you to wear the first 40% ?

I'm between the ZE950 and the DWS06 at this point.

I can increase pressures and run 99 rated tires, but I do not want the increased wear or noise that comes along with it.

Interesting that you posted that chart, kr. There was actually some discussion some time ago on the forum, likely where that photo was taken from. The US door placard lists 38/44 as the recommended pressure; since the Firestone debacle manufacturers are required to list the highest recommended pressure for cars imported for sale in the US.

After lowering my pressures to the ones listed on the ROW chart, noise came down and comfort went WAY up.

It will be interesting to see what mileage I see out of new tires with the pressures at their current 35/32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back