Can I Use 75W-90 In Place Of 75W-85?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. The owners manual of my Nissan says to use OEM Nissan 75W-85 GL-4 gear lube. Well that stuff is $20 a quart from the dealer. Yes it is cheaper online but when you add S&H it is still $20 a quart. Redline makes MT85 at $17 a quart. Amsoil makes an MTF 75W-90 for $11 a quart. I talked with Amsoil and their tech said NO they do not make a fluid for my car because the viscosity is not the OEM spec so they will not suggest that I use it. In the real world, is there a big difference between a 75W-85 and a 75W-90 with a GL-4 spec? In my mind I feel the Amsoil would be a better product than whoever is packaging the fluids for Nissan. The Amsoil is also much cheaper. I would like your thoughts on this.

It will change the shift feel.

Even though they are both "75w-xx"
Because its a viscosity range and the 75w90 will be considerably thicker even when cold.
It wont cause any actual damage though.
May also negatively impact the fuel economy(in a small way)

New subaru's have 75w80 gl-5 try finding that anywhere.

and its only available in 5gal pail for 450$

http://parts.subaru.com/p/Gear-Oil-Extra-MT-75W80/49506107/SOA748V0100.html

Most likely I'll just replace with motul gear 300 and live with it being thicker and shifting worse in the winter.
and the .2mpg(?) decrease

For your situation I'd recommend just buying redline mt85
from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-50504-Transmission-Transaxle/dp/B004D4URV6

its 15$/qt but how many quarts do you need? 3?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Go with the Redline.

Works perfectly.

+1

+2

The Frontier uses a different transmission. The new Nissan transmissions (+/- 2006 on) are very different, I think all with double cone laminated synchronizers.

It makes a BIG difference, especially when temperatures are below 75F (although synthetic 75W-90 is closer in visc.

The Nissan fluid does not use sulfur/phos additives, but a special magnesium EP compound. It is also synthetic.

Yes they charge too much. I know of dealers charging more than$50 a qt. I pay (wholesale) less than $5 a qt in drums.

I would not use sulfur/phos 75W-90, as I went to a lot of trouble to have the right product formulated for Nissan here. I now have a "generic" version (also of the 75W-80 needed for Nissan's 6 speed.)

As for viscosities, here.....
max_image_77437.png

Yes, a 75W90 (or heavier) can be used in place of Nissan's recommended 75W85 .

It's marginally higher viscosity at high temperature range offers stronger wear protection on components, however at subzero temperatures the shift feel could be different.Do ensure suitable GL4 synchronizer additives is present.

Last edited:
In my experience, the main reason they call out a 75W-85 is to push you into a full synthetic lube. You can get by with a 75W-90 but I would shorten the change interval if it is not a full synthetic.

Use it if you want to, but after years of working with Nissan and solving their transmission problems, I recommend against it. Your transmission will know the difference and you will feel the difference in shift quality.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
In my experience, the main reason they call out a 75W-85 is to push you into a full synthetic lube. You can get by with a 75W-90 but I would shorten the change interval if it is not a full synthetic.

... resonates with my perception that CAFE centric fuel economy thing is pushing towards lighter viscosity grade lubricants ......
(with reducton in operating viscosity)that is negating components durability ......
that's gained from R&D (through advancement of technologies in components durability with oil base and additives etc ) costing trillions of dollars.
In everyday general motoring, components protection with heavier viscosity grade oils does not require additional resources from mankind,if any.

Quote:
.. resonates with my perception that CAFE centric fuel economy thing is pushing towards lighter viscosity grade lubricants

Check Youtube and you will see how these transmissions are the ones affected by CAFE. The Oil required is then a result of the new synchronizer materials, size and design.

I have done this in my hyundai..

Insted of pricy OEM 75w85 GL4...I put in 75w90 GL4/5....gearbox works just fine for 2years now!

Originally Posted By: widman
Use it if you want to, but after years of working with Nissan and solving their transmission problems, I recommend against it. Your transmission will know the difference and you will feel the difference in shift quality.

I agree here when it comes to Nissan's.

Nissan's tranny's will feel and shift different with different oil viscosities.

The following are MTF's I have found that play well with Nissan MT's:

Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt

Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

Redline MTL 75W80

Amsoil MTF (9.7 cSt)

GM Synchromesh’s

Volvo MTF 645

Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF

Redline MT-85 – 12.0 cSt

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
I have done this in my hyundai..

Insted of pricy OEM 75w85 GL4...I put in 75w90 GL4/5....gearbox works just fine for 2years now!

Heavier GL4/GL5 oils would offer stronger wear protection to gearbox.

Do you encounter shiftability issue at your low ambients?

None...

Gearbox had stiff feeling then...and is shifting the same way now...but that is a feature...not a bug
smile.gif

Facelifted models of the same car have gearboxes wich shifts easier...

First oil was OEM...second now is Liqui Moly 75w90 GL4/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back