Odometers that stop counting at 300K

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '04 Corolla is approaching 300K and I've heard their odometers stop counting at 300K. Is this true? Obviously I wouldn't want to replace the odo because of the cost. Are there any less expensive aftermarket devices that can be used as a replacement?

Originally Posted By: grampi
Are there any less expensive aftermarket devices that can be used as a replacement?

New Corolla?
13.gif

This is a good question. It affects millions of Corollas and Matrixs. It is True and Toyota essentially says it's not covered, so the customer gets stuck with the fix.
Not a problem if the fix is cheap but up here the fix is about $600. part and labour.

Canadian cars lock out at 299,999 Kilometers at least American cars go that number in miles.

Not acceptable.

Last edited:
They have GPS speedometers for hot rods but they cost $100s.

You could get a tiny tach (tm) for $20-30 and mount it under the hood to see how many engine hours meet your OCI now, and keep at it if you drive consistently. Though IIRC you may have a short/ nonexistent spark plug lead.

BTW, congrats!
thankyou2.gif

I remember reading something a few years ago about a class action lawsuit or something similar regarding that very thing

Ask around at shady used car lots for "that guy" that will roll back your odometer. Just set it back to 100k miles and do some simple addition.
smile.gif

Spoke with a Toyota guy at the floor level and he said don't worry about it. He drives a Corolla and it is not a concern to him.

Later I wondered, was that just rubbish or was he for real.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tcp71
Ask around at shady used car lots for "that guy" that will roll back your odometer. Just set it back to 100k miles and do some simple addition.
smile.gif

I'm not sure it's easy to roll back an electronic ODO, rolling forward to zero as in the mechanical system can't be done because of the limit.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
A limit of 299,999? Dumbest OEM gimmick I've ever heard.
The universal limit used to be 99.9K. Volvo and SAAB were among the first to add another digit.

I'm currently used car shopping a 1st car for my friend's daughter.

Noticed a few adds that mention 'odometer reads 299999 KM',
then read this on BITOG...
What a stupid gimmick!!

My Oldsmobile has a digital speedometer that only goes to 199,999. Mr. Whizard can install a million mile chip to fix it. Might want to give him a call, and see if there are any fixes for it, or call Digital Dash Solutions. Ask both if the Corolla speedometers can be reset to zero.

only luddites and philistines drive corollas for that long. they have no need for odometers anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back