Why don't you use Linux ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that fascinates me are people and their home computers and the OS they choose. Everyday people are happy as a lark using their I phones, Android phones, I pads, Samsung pads. Mention the word Linux OS on the home computer and these same people freeze and go into shock, why ? Other than commercial Windows games what is it that you do on the home computer that can't be done better/safer using Linux ?

IMO the vast majority of home users could use Linux OS and not skip a beat.

I have an old XP machine I am running Mint on. It works fine, but no better or worst than my W10 machine which was an upgrade from Windows 7. Windows just seems like a more thought out and complete experience, but both work very good.

It's not about what you can't do with Linux. It's that most people aren't willing to go out of their way to run it when Windows/Android/iOS is already loaded on the device when they buy it.

The next computer I will build will run a Linux, and will keep a Win (p)OS on a separate partition for the DX in the event I want to resurrect my gaming hobby.
Linux makes sense, it's isn't bloated, non-marketing oriented OS that is made to USE and not make money off of. I have never used any Linux distro other than one that runs from a flash drive (can't remember the name) and it was easy to get used to. The average computer user would probably not even tell the difference, except for the OS not slowing to a crawl (WinOS) or being completely obnoxious and irrational (Apple)

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Because reasons.

No, actually I have a custom router running Gentoo Linux and a Dell Poweredge I just got running with Gentoo as well that is a nice desktop, once I can switch my Windows desktops keyboard/mouse to it. Right now I have a ancient disgusting USB keyboard on it that works like [censored]. It literally pains me to use because of the keyboard. One day, I will have it working properly.

I do. In fact, the whole family is using Linux most of the time. For the last few years. Out of 5 laptops in the family, 3 are running Linux, one Chromebook, and one Windows 10.

Everybody likes it, and it's great relief for me, because it's almost zero-maintenance.

The only thing Windows is needed for is Adobe graphic suite.

Originally Posted By: Brasileno
I don't think I would know what to do with Lin-nucks.

How long until you get banned this time?

This thread makes me want to attempt to dual-boot my Sony Vaio laptop. Currently has a 'fresh' install of XP SP3 and I mainly use it occasionally for gaming... older games as the computer is roughly 10 years old, still runs very snappy even as old as it is.

Being that old what distro/version of Linux should I look into considering dual-booting is a requirement.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
This thread makes me want to attempt to dual-boot my Sony Vaio laptop. Currently has a 'fresh' install of XP SP3 and I mainly use it occasionally for gaming... older games as the computer is roughly 10 years old, still runs very snappy even as old as it is.

Being that old what distro/version of Linux should I look into considering dual-booting is a requirement.

Dual booting? Anyone of them.

Most new distribution use grub2

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata

Dual booting? Anyone of them.

Most new distribution use grub2

Any favorites or preferred ones out there? I'm guessing that the decade-old hardware will have little bearing on my choice.

I use Linux. It's a great, fast, lean and virus resistant OS. But I guess most people don't because 1) They don't know there is such a thing; or 2) Fear of the unfamiliar.

Example: My Obstetrician friend asked me 3 months ago to help her out. Her 4 year old laptop with Win8 wouldn't boot. She'd lost her install/recovery disks and her hard drive was toast. I replaced the drive. The laptop didn't have the usual Microsoft serial number decal under the bottom plate so installing another Win8 OS for free would take some hassle. I also wasn't a fan of Win8 so I downloaded the latest Lubuntu distro and installed it. She was initially wary of using the new OS but as she got to use it more, she relaxed when she saw it worked almost just like Windows. And very internet friendly.

Here's the thing: she said she would ask her son in Canada to get her a new laptop with Windows come Black Friday! I don't get it. I guess old habits die hard.

I have been using Linux for about 10 years.

The problem you get into is when it "hickups". Trying to do anything with it outside of a Chrome or Firefox Browser. For instance...installing a Program on it is a convoluted experience. Plug and play things like printers, scanners, etc may or may not work. Updating to a new version of Linux may require geting rid of the present version re-formattting and starting from scratch.

I don't consider myself stupid. I have been using a computer for work since the Apple came out. The only reason I can deal with it is my son is a Computer Engineer and has been running it before 2000.

It honestly is beyond the casual computer user that.

It is a joy though not to ever worry about viruses for the last 10 years. Hard to understand why Windows is so virus friendly.

I do and don't. By day I'm a Linux admin - RHCE in RHEL4/5/6 and admin about 600 Linux servers. So I know a thing or 2 about it. It is absolutely awesome for servers and ensuring that systems are the same. Windows can only dream about being as good as Linux in that respect. (I say that as a previous Windows admin from NT to 2003 on the server side and 95-XP in on the Desktop side.)

But for personal use I don't want to tweak it, I want it and my perhiperals to work. I want my graphics to look great, have apps that look great and want my hardware to work. So I use OS X. It's UNIX under the hood (BSD) with the app and hardware integration that is second to none. Period, end of story. My Macbook Air runs for months without a reboot, sleeps and wakes without issue, connects to all sorts of WiFI and perhiperals, etc. I pay a little more for that but in return I get machines with long life, super battery power and speed. I don't dabble in the low end garbage of the PC world so the pricing is about the same as a mid level Windows Machine.

If you want to play with Linux, Mint or Ubuntu are good choices for the beginner.
If you are tired of Windows' nonsense and want ease of use just pony up the $ for a Mac - be it new or used. You most likely won't regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back