Cold air intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a suburban that is missing the ducting leading to the air filter. I am debating putting on a cold air intake but don't want to mess with cleaning a filter. Are there any cold air intakes out there that use a paper filter or at least something that filters as good as a paper filter?

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I just bought a suburban that is missing the ducting leading to the air filter.

^ The ducting is supposed go to the air filter from where ?

A lot of cars come from the factory with a cold air intake. My Buick takes air directly from the left front fender-well before going through the air filter. My Dad's 1978 Cadillac had a air duct going from the air cleaner assembly to the front grill.

Check craigslist, you may find a stock intake for cheap. I believe there are cone filters that are non oil that may fit a cold air intake setup but may be more $$$ in the end

eBay has the OE stuff on sale all the time. I like the stock box better. It seals better, is less likely to introduce water into the engine and is quieter.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I just bought a suburban that is missing the ducting leading to the air filter. I am debating putting on a cold air intake but don't want to mess with cleaning a filter. Are there any cold air intakes out there that use a paper filter or at least something that filters as good as a paper filter?

The '95 Burb in your sig?....'95 GMT400 platform TBI engines have the air filter mounted right on top of the engine, The big plastic piece on the inner fender is a silencer, If the duct between the Air Filter housing & Silencer is missing....Buy a new/used OEM one.

The duct and the silencer is missing. I can find the parts but was thinking about going the cold air intake route for some reason.

I am still on the fence as to there being a benefit to something other than stock.

Last edited:
Careful....K&N says CAI but from having it on my 04 F150 it sure seems more like hot air intake. I see on my 15 F150 factory looks more CAI than a new K&N does.

AND this is from a guy who has used K&N since 1997 with zero issues (but I don't over saturate the filter with oil). My 2 cents.

Keep the factory box and filter, and run a dryer hose from the box to the grille.

It's quick and cheap and easy and better than a CAI.

Go with OEM. If its your 95 in sig, go to a pick n pull. I wouldnt go for the cold air intake. No gains from that just hassle (will sometimes throw codes..go OEM)

Ditch the silencer clunky box and put the straight plastic flex tube that runs from the filter housing to the fender wall. I took the straight one off a '92 2500, snaps directly in place. There's a tube inside the fender that pulls in cold air from behind the headlights. I don't know why they put that clunky silencer box on, as it doesn't silence any noise or make anything quiter I can tell. Also in the winter, you don't even need the tube at all.

Last edited:
TBI engines hiss and growl like a mother. I once had to diagose a TBI van without the air cleaner and engine hood off, and holy did that thing sound like 100 elderly men trying to eat soup with a small spoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back