Your opinion on the Firestone FR 710

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I will need new tires for my Cruze and I have to say that the Firestone FR 710 that came with the car really did impressed me. They are very quiet and they are still balanced.

I wanted Michelins, but for the price point, ride quality and noise, I find the FR 710 to be a very good tire.

Any of you had experiences with this tire or any good alternative?

Thanks!

If you are happy with the handling, treadwear and traction in the rain - I'd go with what you know!

I can't see spending 3x-4x the price for a set of MIchelins that you don't know

The FR710's I had on my wife's Corolla were a hugely mediocre tire. They rolled, they stopped, they held air... and that's about it. They had no grip on wet roads and were useless when the temperature dropped. I couldn't wait to get my money's worth out of them and get them replaced.

We have them on our Cruze too (1.8L with MT). Personally I think they are okay, nothing out of the ordinary but not horrible by any means. Wearing evenly and plenty of life left at 48K miles on the car (probably 40K miles on the tires).

If I was getting new tires today though, I would probably go with a set of P7s or CS5s, leaning to the P7s.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I can't see spending 3x-4x the price for a set of MIchelins that you don't know

More like 1.5 times the size for the Michelins though (at Tirerack), not included sunk costs like mounting and balancing, and not factoring in treadwear. Not pushing Michelins, but think they should have a fair shake.

Last edited:
FR710s were the OEM tires that came with a Corolla I bought over 10 years ago and I'd agree that they're a basic tire and not much more. That said, if they work for you well enough, then you might have answered your own question.

Personally, I might be persuaded to go with something like the Firestone Precision Touring if you wanted to keep it in the family...which is apparently a good tire but I have no experience with it. I feel confident that it would be better than the FR710 but there are many choices.

My step mom's 2010 Pontiac G6 came with them new, they were loud, had poor handling, and one of them cupped badly for some reason (current set 40k miles later isn't cupped, and it was on a new car). They also wore pretty quickly. Time for a new set at 30k.

I had the FR710 on a Civic a few years back, very mediocre tire. Not bad, but honestly, I had no complaints either. I suppose no news is good news in this case.

However, I don't know if you're soliciting for replacement tire suggestions, I did really like the Firestone Precision Touring, or the Firestone Affinity Touring from the Firestone store (I believe those are the same tire of different name), I was surprised at the snow traction of those tires. There's also the General Altimax RT43 that are very highly regarded for a reasonable price.

Firestone doesn't have any tire that I think is better than competitors with similar cost. Also, I hate dealing with Firestone sell person, I like America's Tire and Discount Tire much better.

Im looking also for a tire that has traction AB, not AA, im not too crazy for AA's, they hold better at high temperatures but thats about it I think

These were the originals on my Cruze as well. I drive mostly highway and got over 120,000 miles out of them. Was impressed enough to buy another set of them several months ago. They wear very evenly and last long. I can't say they are the grippiest during heavy braking though but they're not bad at all

I've owned two sets bought aftermarket from Firestone because they were on super sale.

They earned a big "meh" from me. They are just a basic tire. I was pretty unimpressed with the winter traction. I would definitely not buy them again unless they were unbelievably affordable.

To all the people who got them as the OEM tire: remember that the OEM version can be different than the aftermarket replacement version.

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
Im looking also for a tire that has traction AB, not AA, im not too crazy for AA's, they hold better at high temperatures but thats about it I think

You mean Traction A Temperature B?
As far as I know, the ratings for traction are, AA, A, B, C.
And temperature A, B, C.
If your tire is rated S-Speed, it'll probably be rated temperature B. If its above S speed it'll probably be A. It only has to do with the tire generating heat at speed. Its doesn't affect traction at low temperature.

Just an FYI:

The Firestone FR710 is an OE tire AND a replacement market tire.

That means the OP would be replacing with an OE version - which also means it is a unique product and his question about what others thought is irrelevant, except for those who have the EXACT same vehicle.

People with experiences in other sizes would be experiencing a different tire - and while their opinions have value, they are useless to the OP.

FR710 are OEMs for our Sienna. They seem like an okay tire, not an expert in tires by any means. Will need new tires soon and I'll probably try something else. At about 40k the fronts were done so I ordered a front set from tirerack. It's at 55k now and the rears are about done, will need replacement at the end of winter. Looking at CS5 and RT43.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Just an FYI:

The Firestone FR710 is an OE tire AND a replacement market tire.

That means the OP would be replacing with an OE version - which also means it is a unique product and his question about what others thought is irrelevant, except for those who have the EXACT same vehicle.

People with experiences in other sizes would be experiencing a different tire - and while their opinions have value, they are useless to the OP.

Very good point. I didn't mention that my experience with the FR710s were as replacement tires.

Have you gone on any of the Cruze web forums to see what owners are saying regarding tires?? Personally, I would put more faith in that than suggestions here. On BITOG, you're likely to get the same 2-3 tires as suggestions whatever vehicle you drive.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Have you gone on any of the Cruze web forums to see what owners are saying regarding tires?? Personally, I would put more faith in that than suggestions here. On BITOG, you're likely to get the same 2-3 tires as suggestions whatever vehicle you drive.

haha, if you can't afford Michelins you should get General RT43s. I too fall under the gen pop of BITOG after deciding what I am going to get for my Equinox recently.

My experience with the FR710s are with the OEM on my step mom's Pontiac G6. They were fine. Kind of a jack of all trades and master of none. If you are looking for a decent tire that isn't the Generals I would say Uniroyal Tigerpaw Touring NT. They have a good tread design and have a nice combo of traction and ride comfort. Plus they are in the price range as the Generals and Firestone FR710s. The Dunlop Signature 2s are also nice tires.

In case you're thinking about staying with Firestone... I had a set of Firestone Precision Touring tires on the Subaru. These tires would be a step up from the 710's.

Good life, traction, and ride, and an honest 60,000 miles of wear. Could have been a bit quieter. The tires were new on the (used) car when it was purchased, so I had $0 money invested in them.

I could have easily gone with another set, but Firestone tires are not the easiest to buy in this area. For some reason the availability is limited.

I ended up replacing them with a set of CS5's.

I had a set of Firestone FR710 tires on my Taurus and I thought they were are decent tire for the price. I would buy another set. I don't know if it made a difference that the Taurus has a heavy cast iron engine sitting over the tires but traction in rain and even snow was much better than I thought it would be. Now the Falkin ZIEX ZE-912 was horrible in inclement weather, snow and ice traction was non existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back