Explosion/Fire Risk of 18650 Li-ion Batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quality flashlight will have over discharge protection and a low voltage signal. If yours does not, measure the V with a DMM.

Even though I'm still getting a better battery, I checked both the UltraFires with my multi meter and the charger charged each to exactly 4.2v. Both remained at room temperature while being charged.

says nothing for capacity,internal resistance,ect.
many "whateverfire" cells are tired,wornout,recycled from trash laptop packs.
the worst thing is this garbage comes packed with 2 cell lights that run fine on 1 cell as they use a buck converter.and they claim protection but the gold contact merely covers the spotwelds left from their previous life in a laptop pack.so you reverse the first of the pair that runs down as they are nowhere near matched.
BOOM!!!!!
my short list of battery dealers.
illumn
mountain
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Even though I'm still getting a better battery, I checked both the UltraFires with my multi meter and the charger charged each to exactly 4.2v. Both remained at room temperature while being charged.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
says nothing for capacity,internal resistance,ect.
many "whateverfire" cells are tired,wornout,recycled from trash laptop packs.
the worst thing is this garbage comes packed with 2 cell lights that run fine on 1 cell as they use a buck converter.and they claim protection but the gold contact merely covers the spotwelds left from their previous life in a laptop pack.so you reverse the first of the pair that runs down as they are nowhere near matched.
BOOM!!!!!
my short list of battery dealers.
illumn
mountain
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Ok, that may be true but it's not relevant to this thread, the original poster explicitly stated he is using a single cell flashlight.

OP, if those cells hold 4.2v after a day or two, or even close to 4.2v I'd use them without hesitation. Monitor them with charging. Like kc8adu I think flashlights using multiple cells pose greater risk and little benefit. I don't see a big risk here, besides the batteries being overcharged by a crummy charger and nobody noticing.

Not that anyone cares, but the spare UltraFire is still holding 4.2v sitting around on the shelf as of today. According to my analog mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back