2010 MDX Burning Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has 47k miles with 5k OCI using 5W-20 Pennzoil dino. Was almost 1 qt low (just above low level mark on dip stick) at last two changes. Have read several reports of the 10 MDX's using oil but mine never has until recently. I was always concerned about the fact I did not leave FF in until MM told me to change. Instead I dropped the FF at 5k. Wonder if replacing break-in oil too soon caused premature wear? Anything I should check or be concerned about? Thanks.

6 year - 70K mile powertrain warranty.
Acura may not do much to support you as seems like manufacturers say
" 1 quart in 1,000 miles use is normal", but I would be talking to a dealer soon about a warranty claim related to oil excessive use.
Early oil change should have no bearing on your increased oil use.

Last edited:
Could be a leak somewhere or clogged PCV valve. Check for oil residue under the car. Remove the plastic engine cover and thoroughly inspect the engine bay for leaks.

Art I live 10 minutes from you, let me borrow it for a few days, I will seat those rings.
grin.gif

So from this post and your 2010 post when you did your first OC, I gather that the engine uses/burns one quart about every 5K miles. I wouldn't be thrilled with that as my Hondas and Acuras used very little to no oil over the years.

But your engine's oil usage is not problematic. Some posters have commented about oil usage in the Honda V-6 engines that use cylinder management. My Ridgeline doesn't have that feature, but you may want to research that.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
So from this post and your 2010 post when you did your first OC, I gather that the engine uses/burns one quart about every 5K miles.

No, it burned a quart of FF in the first 5k and did not do it again until the 37-42k interval. I now have 47k and it is almost 1 qt down again.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Thanks for the responses. Look at this old thread I found:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2012505&page=1p

The last post caught my eye. I checked the oil today in a very cold garage and car has not been started for several days. I will check tomorrow after a drive and report back.

Temp of oil is going to make very little difference...

A quart in 5K is nothing, take it in for that and the dealer will chase you off the lot...

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
So from this post and your 2010 post when you did your first OC, I gather that the engine uses/burns one quart about every 5K miles.

No, it burned a quart of FF in the first 5k and did not do it again until the 37-42k interval. I now have 47k and it is almost 1 qt down again.

Strange that it happened that way. I would not think much of it unless it duplicates again in the next OCI.

I always check my oil level after the car has sat all night to get an accurate reading. It makes a difference.

Originally Posted By: CT8
5W-30.

^^ this. I would be inclined to start using a 5w30 Syn blend or full synthetic. Give the new oil 3 OCIs and see what happens

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
I always check my oil level after the car has sat all night to get an accurate reading. It makes a difference.

As long as the ADBV in filter is doing it's job, I've never seen a difference in 10 minutes or 10 days... If level is noticeably higher after setting overnight the ADBV has always been my issue...

Update. Been 1500 miles and not a drop burned. Maybe PCV Valve is so undersized that the new one made a big difference. IOW, even though the original seemed to be working fine, just a small amount of restriction could make the difference between no loss and measurable loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back