0w30 BC Castrol not at AutoZone any longer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, first post after many years of lurking....This is a great forum and I would like to ask a question and get opinions...I have been using 0w30 German Castrol for years and continued using it after the change over to Belgium made...Great oil and my 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 seemed to run great with but I can no longer find it at AutoZone which is the only place that sold it in my area (Atlanta) and I wonder if Castrol is phasing it out....My question is should I go with the 0w40 German Castrol or would that be too thick for my engine which is spec for 5w30 or would Mobil 1 0w40 be a better choice?....Thanks

Last edited:
The difference in thickness when hot between the Castrol 0W-30 and the 0W-40 will be minimal and your engine will not notice a difference. The M1 0W-40 is also a good choice and you can get that at Walmart, along with the Castrol 0W-40 (probably for a bit less). Either one are superb oils, there really isn't a "better" choice between those two except for price.

Autozone phasing it out most likely. As the previous responder stated... Either one of those oils are really fantastic. Can't really go wrong with either. Another oil if available and on sale would be Mobil 1 ESP 5W30. It's a thicker 30 viscosity with a HTHS at 3.5 very similar to the Castrol 0w30. Also....

welcome2.gif

welcome2.gif

Autozone would be the one phasing it out, not Castrol.

AAP just started selling BC fairly recently, probably around the time Castrol moved 0w30 production to Belgium. IS there an AAP nearby?

And you know what else that means for the BITOG community, clearance
banana2.gif

Thanks. Yes we have Advance Auto Parts stores here and I see they have 0w30 available on their web site so I'll stop in and order some....I've been using 0w30 GC ever since it used to be green and I'm upset with AutoZone for discontinuing it.... Thanks again everybody!!!

Originally Posted By: Timmer
Thanks. Yes we have Advance Auto Parts stores here and I see they have 0w30 available on their web site so I'll stop in and order some....I've been using 0w30 GC ever since it used to be green and I'm upset with AutoZone for discontinuing it.... Thanks again everybody!!!

While the 0W-30 is certainly a decent oil, there's nothing wrong with the 0W-40 either (Mobil 1 or Castrol). Discontinuing the oil is not really any loss considering what the alternatives are.

Perhaps that AZ stopped selling it. It was one of the clearance oils at several of the stores I went to around here during the year end clearance. Picked up a lot of it at $2qt.

If you want something in a similar range I'd say go with the Mobil 1 0w-40 at Walmart. About $25 for a 5qt. jug.

What I noticed about last year's AZ oil clearance was that every oil (besides Syntec Blend) that they'd clearanced out was restocked and then clearanced out again this past time. Wonder if they'll restock with fresh Edge 0W30?

Castrol has two products there that are almost identical aimed at the same narrow market.

Doesn't make sense from a marketing point of view at all.

I would bet they will move to a single 5W-30 LL-01 offering in the future.

They have four such products in Canada, and I'm not sure if they're going anywhere. I see wider distribution, if anything. While an A3/B3 A3/B4 5w-30 is a pretty darned good lube, I'd wonder if it would really be more suitable than the 0w-30 or 0w-40. Those two are technical synthetics, where the 5w-30 almost certainly is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back