Rotella T6 replaced with Rotella T 5w40 Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I stopped by Autozone to pickup some Shell Rotella T6 while it's on sale and one store didn't have the T6 but in it's place, with the T6 label still there (and rang up as T6) was this bottle of Rotella T. Never seen it before and a Google search revealed on two tiny images of this bottle. I couldn't find any info on it during my search either. Does anyone know if this is a new formula or simply a new bottle that they are using? I couldn't tell the manufacture date on the bottle because its gibberish, unlike the T6 bottle which clearly say the month and year.

Seems to have the same API specs on the back and seems to suggest use in trucks and other heavy duty equipment.

I don't want to mix it with the T6 for this next oil change in my semi, but want to know more info about this lube for possible future use, especially if it's a new product.

Thanks

Is that where it's from? This Autozone has some fresh looking, clean bottles out and lots of them too! They even had some on another shelf.

Could they be really old stock that they are trying to get rid off?

Originally Posted By: Artem
Is that where it's from? This Autozone has some fresh looking, clean bottles out and lots of them too! They even had some on another shelf.

Could they be really old stock that they are trying to get rid off?

You wouldn't believe some of the wacky, old filters I see at my local AZ. Some of them I have not seen in 10 years.

Old stock.

I found this on an old motorcycle forum from 2009

ROTELLA® T Synthetic

Fully synthetic heavy-duty engine oil.

Product Description

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is a fully synthetic heavy-duty diesel and gasoline engine oil developed especially to meet the requirements of North American driving.

The exclusive Shell formulation offers users exceptional performance and protection in combination with enhanced fuel economy potential over conventional 15W-40 motor oils. This synthetic multigrade engine oil meets the service requirements of virtually all four cycle diesel and many gasoline engine manufacturers.

Applications

Recommended for new and older diesel- and gasoline-powered vehicles, including personal vehicles and commercial vehicles such as on-road, off-the-road, truck rental, pickups, delivery, utility, and school bus fleetsMeets or exceeds the diesel engine requirements of API CI-4 PLUS, Cummins CES 20078, Detroit Diesel, John Deere, Dodge, Ford, GM, International, Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03, Volvo and others; For gasoline engines, it exceeds API SL.
Features/Benefits

Formulated for multipurpose use, simplifying inventory needsOutstanding wear protection and bearing corrosion control helps maximize engine lifeHelps speed cold starts even with low winter temperaturesEnhanced oxidation stability and soot control, especially at higher temperatures, aids service lifeImproved fuel economy – when compared to conventional SAE 15W-40 oilsProduct is warranted against defect and has performance which meets or exceeds virtually all equipment manufacturer’s engine oil warranty requirements.
Approvals and Recommendations

API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CFAPI SL, SJ, SHCummins CES 20078, 20076, 20071Detroit Diesel 7SE 270Mack EO-N Premium Plus ’03, EO-N, EO-M PlusVolvo VDS 2

New CJ-4 spec oil. Says it is a SM rated oil. My motorcycle handbooks say not to use SM rated oils. So
Shell Rotella® T Synthetic with API CJ -4 Technology

New Shell ROTELLA® T Synthetic. Even better than before.

Experience the latest in engine oil technology for your truck.

Now get the protection you expect from Shell Rotella® T with the added benefits of a full synthetic. With new Shell Rotella® T Synthetic you now get improved fuel-economy potential compared to 15W- 40 oils, outstanding extreme - temperature performance, and better control of wear, deposits and emissions, compared to the previous formulation. Shell Rotella® T. It belongs in your truck.™

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic CJ-4 Technical Data Sheet

Performance Benefits

Improved Wear Performance - Provides a significantly increased level of protection against harmful engine wear when compared to previous generation API CI-4+ engine oils.Improved Deposit Control - The advanced multi-functional dispersant additives in combination with synthetic base oils provide an enhanced level of protection against the effects of soot, dirt and other contaminants.Improved Heat Resistance - Shell Rotella® T Synthetic resists breakdown by heat to provide continuous protection throughout the service interval.Improved Fuel Economy - Use of synthetic SAE5W-40 oils, such as Shell Rotella® T Synthetic, has been shown to be capable of contributing up to 1% improvement in fuel economy in laboratory tests when compared to conventional SAE 15W-40 oils.Protection in Extreme Climates - Shell Rotella® T Synthetic is based on free-flowing synthetic base oils that allow reliable pumping on start-up under cold climate conditions yet remain thick enough even under high temperature operation to protect against wear.

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic with API CJ -4 Technology is for new and older diesel powered vehicles and is suitable for new and older diesel powered vehicles from Class 8 tractor/trailers to heavy-duty diesel pickups, delivery, utility, and school bus fleets.

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic with API CJ -4 Technology meets or exceeds diesel engine requirements of API CJ-4, Cummins, Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel, Mack, Mercedes Benz, Volvo, Ford. Gasoline engine applications Meets the requirements of API SM

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beanoil
Old, really old stock. 10 years. What API specs on the back?

Just before the transition from RTS, wasn't it the same as T6, API-SM

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Hello, 2008.

This. It was formerly called "Rotella T Synthetic," shortened to "RTS" all over this forum. I suspect a very old jug here. I'd use it, but the formulation is slightly different than modern RT6.

That's the Rotella T 5W-40 Synthetic bottle before the T6 came out. I know because I was using it in our tractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back