AC Delco 0w-20 Synthetic Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 Silverado with the 5.3 EcoTec and I have been using the dealer oil but they have changed my oil for the last time and I have been thinking about getting the AC stuff and doing it myself with a Wix XP filter, they have been putting a AC E-core filter on it,. I am having a hard time deciding on what oil I want to use. I am interested in NOACK burn off but I run a Elite engineering catch can. I want to use the Pennzoil Ultra but it can be hard to find, I also like Valvoline Synpower and used it for years but it does not use Moly it seems.

I have thought about just using the AC Delco stuff but wanted to hear from guys that have used it long term. Thanks guys

I've used it once and seemed fine. If you've used Synpower no problem before, I wouldn't let no moly in it scare you away. There are other friction modifiers out there that may work just as well or dare I even say, better?

Im running PP 0W20 in my Malibu, got it for $22 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart. I think ur truck takes like 8-8.5 quarts of oil. I have a fram XG on it now but i think its a lil overkill since i dont use it for 2 O/C's. I think ill pop a napa gold which is a wix filter on it for the next oil change or a tough guard on it.

I'd suggest any name brand synthetic 0W-20 easily found on the Walmart shelf. Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, SynPower, Castrol Edge, the list goes on.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You're in Florida just run Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra 5w20 if it's easier to find
He needs a 0w20 for his warranty.

Whatever 5W20 on sale synthetic oil you can find. Wont make a hill of beans difference on brand and 0W20 vs 5W20 also. Engine won't notice the difference (IN FLORIDA) and may consume less using 5W20 since NOACK seems to be a concern of yours.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

And then by time the warranty is over the engine is shot from running 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

And then by time the warranty is over the engine is shot from running 0W-20.

gotta love Merk !
laugh.gif

I have been reading this forum a long time before finally signing up and love it, so thanks for the info.

I must say I do not agree with a 0w-20 oil causing engine wear. The crankshaft of the EcoTec3 engine is milled to have differences of less than a human blood cell. It seems a 20w oil with very good machine work will work fine. I do not think GM would be able to keep selling trucks that take a dump just out of warranty. ????????

You might consider QSUD 0w20 (a Shell product). I recently started using it and my engine and it defiantly runs quieter and very smoothly.

QSUD synthetic is generally a few dollars cheaper than M-1 or PP, but still a quality oil IMO.

I did a few UOA's on my Sierra when I was using the dealers AC Delco 0W-20. Everything looked fine for an engine that was still breaking in. I wouldn't hesitate to use it but there are less expensive options out there (well usually less expensive unless you find the AC oil on sale or get some sort of deal). M1 0W-20 or PP 0W-20 are usually in the $22 on sale at Walmart for 5 quart jugs (maybe $26 not on sale). Both are Dexos1 certified. Couldn't go wrong with either. Run the OLM down to zero with confidence. Fuel dilution doesn't appear to be a problem with the new EcoTec3 motors (at least not in any UOA's I have looked at). Here is my latest UOA if you are interested: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3858086/M1_EP_0W-20_7,440_miles_2014_G#Post3858086

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra with the same engine I noticed that on the Walmart web site you can order the Delco 0w-20 for around 5 bucks a quart and have it shipped to your house.

Nothing special about the AC Delco oil, but it meets spec and does the job. It is made by Mobil and simply relabeled AC DELCO. I agree with the comments that you can get as good or better oil at Walmart or similar and be fine. I would use Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum as they are great oils and readily available.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
I'd suggest any name brand synthetic 0W-20 easily found on the Walmart shelf. Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, SynPower, Castrol Edge, the list goes on.

Certified with OEM approval or cut it short use OEMs oil.

Last edited:
OP,, A friend of mine has the same truck and he's been using Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 since factory fill, loves it no consumption and readily available at WM.

It's a quality oil will serve you well.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
I did a few UOA's on my Sierra when I was using the dealers AC Delco 0W-20. Everything looked fine for an engine that was still breaking in. I wouldn't hesitate to use it but there are less expensive options out there (well usually less expensive unless you find the AC oil on sale or get some sort of deal). M1 0W-20 or PP 0W-20 are usually in the $22 on sale at Walmart for 5 quart jugs (maybe $26 not on sale). Both are Dexos1 certified. Couldn't go wrong with either. Run the OLM down to zero with confidence. Fuel dilution doesn't appear to be a problem with the new EcoTec3 motors (at least not in any UOA's I have looked at). Here is my latest UOA if you are interested: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3858086/M1_EP_0W-20_7,440_miles_2014_G#Post3858086

Thanks for the info because I have been debating on Mobil 1 EP since I cant find Pennzoil Ultra. I can get the Mobil 1 AFE or EP at my local Wal-mart cheap. Thanks

Any Dexos-Licensed 0w-20 Full Syn from Wal-Mart will be great on a '15 5.3.

Since you have access to a Wal-Mart, Mobil 1 AFE & EP, Castrol Edge and Pennz Platinum are excellent and economical choices in the 5qt jugs. If you buy (3) 5-qt jugs + 1 qt bottle, the 16 total quarts will get you 2 oil changes (I think it has 8qt sump).

Fram Tough Guard and Fram Ultra would be my choices of filter from Wal-Mart.

I own a 2000 Silverado 5.3 and researched the heck out of the new body styles of the Silverado/Sierra and their engines. Just keep an eye on possible oil consumption.

Keep receipts, log oil changes in your service history section in the owners manual and follow the OLM until the end of the powertrain warranty and you will be set.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
You might consider QSUD 0w20 (a Shell product). I recently started using it and my engine and it defiantly runs quieter and very smoothly.

I hate it when engines become defiant. An engine that won't obey it's owner is headed for early trade in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back