Radiator hose longevity question

Status
Not open for further replies.

How long do radiator hoses last? I just bought a 86 Buick T Type and it still has the original hoses. The look fine and are pliable.

What can happen if they are not replaced. Can the rubber split from the pressure?

Both jeep and chev cracked the rad tank, never issues with hoses. The got swapped during radiator swap.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
What can happen if they are not replaced. Can the rubber split from the pressure?

Yes.

Originally Posted By: 007
How long do radiator hoses last? I just bought a 86 Buick T Type and it still has the original hoses. The look fine and are pliable.

Original '86? Should have been replaced long ago.

Keep originals in a box, for when the car is worth a fortune one day.
wink.gif

I have a classic 89 Cadillac and the bottom radiator hose is original and my 79 Cadillac also was original until 2012.. Im bad with hoses my Moms 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis has all the original hoses and they are all in good shape but she has under 55,000 miles on hers.

I had some original Plymouth GTX's with 40K-55K miles in the mid to late 1990's that were working on 30 year old radiator hoses, spark plug wires, drive belts, shocks, alternator, distributor, carb, etc. If some of those hoses lasted 30 years back then, the ones from the later 1980's should have an easier time of it. The hoses on my 1999 look almost new and won't be getting replaced any time soon.

I'd replace the hoses on your Turbo-T, and save them. Those and the Grand Nationals are some of the only worthwhile Detroit collector cars to come out of the 1980's.

When I got my 1994 Ranger last year, all of the coolant hoses were original with 1994 date stamps and Ford part numbers on them. They looked fine on the outside, but were starting to deteriorate from the inside out due to general cooling system neglect, so I replaced them all. I think it was worth it to not have to wonder about them. In my case it was around $40-$50 for all of the hoses and both radiator hoses are in stock anywhere, and the heater hose is just bulk (no crazy bends). I bet a G Body is about the same.

I have replaced 40 year old hoses in the past, that have still been OK, just a little hard.

Not a bad idea to just replace them though, if it makes you feel better.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Coolant hoses normally outlast the engine, and stopped being routine maintenance items decades ago.

+1. All my MBs have had original hoses at the 30ish year mark. My oldest in service is an 81 and they are original and fine. Just drove a 150 mile trip without thinking twice.

Only one hose which started to have a minor seepage, have I replaced. Then with OE, btw...

Why not just clean them and inspect them for scuffs?

Also, I think some service/owner's manuals say to clean the radiator somehow....like brushing the dirt and bugs and flushing with a garden hose...

Originally Posted By: expat
I have replaced 40 year old hoses in the past, that have still been OK, just a little hard.

Not a bad idea to just replace them though, if it makes you feel better.

I might make an exception for 40 year old hoses!

They seem to last forever on newer cars, but 86 is far from new. I'd probably do at least the upper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back