2003 Rav4 - rear diff fluid check

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to check/replace the rear diff fluid on a 2003 Rav4. The problem is that I am obstructed by the drive axle. All the documentation I have seen indicates that this is an easy job. Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Picture of my Rav below, along with a picture found elsewhere on the internet.

GKfuc9K.jpg

Rear_Diff_fill_zpslbtgiaux.jpg

If you rotate the drive axle by moving the car forward or backwards a little I think that nub would be out of the way enough to access the plug.

You may have to make a special tool, as I cant see how much room you have. You can take a threaded rod coupler and cut it in half or cut it down if too long. (may have to grind it down on all six sides to fit in metric fitting.) Then just use an open end wrench and remove the plug.

threaded-rod-joint-hex-coupling-long-nut-trc-ehardwarestore-1005-22-aaronngu77@1.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes you look at something and you are like [censored] how is that possible. But all you need to do is step back and see the bigger picture. It happens to me all the time.

All thread and its hardware are grade 2. I made one a zillion yrs ago for Bug transaxles. A short 10mm bolt with a 17mm hex head and 2 17x10mm nuts.. For the 10mm female hex, I have a 10mm Allen wrench. make sure the socket is cleaned. Give the face a few taps with a ball peen hammer. Use the Allen wrench. It may need to driven into the socket. That is good.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back