Air tool oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started using AMSOIL air tool oil, bought it from my buddy for real cheap. Was using ATF before. Can't tell ya how well it works but I was excited about the price.

Originally Posted By: CT8
ATF ,hydraulic oil . Keep the wrench lubed daily.

thumbsup2.gif

All you need is an ATF since it has all the additives necessary for an air tool.

MMO and other similar junk contains too many solvents that can affect air tool oil seals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Superflop
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Trav
I use an inline oiler filled with air compressor oil and MMO 50/50. It works great, never any issue with the tools.
With seldom used tools like needle scalers and panel crimper's I fill the tool by pulling the trigger and filling it with no air connected, leave it a short time then connect the air and give it a blast through before putting them away.

Fill it?!??!?

I put a drop or two when I use it, and then another drop before putting it away if I really used something a lot.

Granted my experience also is with framing and palm nailers...

I use redline FWIW.
he means an in line automatic oiler. It goes between the compressor and the tool and automatically adds a specific dose of oil as the air flows through it to the tool.

Except that it states that there is no air connected...

Tools i use daily don't get anything in them before i use them, they get lubed by the automatic oiler.
Some tools like needle scalars can sit a long time and the small amount of residual oil may not be enough to protect them well for storage. When you put a few drops in the fitting it doesn't go into the air motor until the trigger is pulled or paddle depressed.

On these tools i hold the trigger while putting oil in (about an ounce), it flushes any dirt or moisture from the air motor and leaves a good oil film.
Spray guns, tire fillers, blow guns are on another 3/4" hard line with no oiler but uses a primary moisture separator and Devillbiss desiccant dryer with hoses never contaminated with oil.

For home use, i usually just put some oil in before use. I don't want a lubricator as it will put oil in my lines that i might paint with. Are the inline oilers that you plumb right onto the tool any good?

That's why i use a different line and hoses for the tools and the spray guns and tire filling, you don't want oil in your tires either.
The on tool ils are a PITA, they add bulk and are always hitting something. Save your money and add another branch off the compressor with a ball valve.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: CT8
ATF ,hydraulic oil . Keep the wrench lubed daily.

thumbsup2.gif

All you need is an ATF since it has all the additives necessary for an air tool.

MMO and other similar junk contains too many solvents that can affect air tool oil seals.

Thanks! didn't know that was good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back