Mountain Bike under 1000 bucks budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like all professional bikers are on this page. I'm planning to buy myself one, so yes I don't have a bike yet, but maybe someone here can recommend the best Mountain bike that would be in a $1000 budget.

Do you think the Diamondback is a good choice? How about the SE Bikes big Mountain? I found both of these online. Well, like many others, I just rely on some review sites online when it comes to buying something ( Bicycle Advisor website for example). But I know it will be better to ask the experts here.

What should be considered in selecting a bike? What are the best brands? Sorry for the stupid questions. Newbie here.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You should be considering your riding style. Are you going to ride off road or on road/pavement?

Some good brands are Trek, Giant, Specialized, Scott, and Cannondale.

I am not a mountain biker, but I know it is impossible to get a carbon frame bike (new) under $1000. So pick one of those brands and try to get the best fork/drivetrain you can afford.

I used a road bike for 10 years on regular road way exercising (1,000-1,500 mi per yr). It worked well and didn't need the lightweight carbon or anything. It was a basic $450 bike that held up. Then I went to a UniVega mountain bike in the same price range as my brother gave it to me for free. It's a metal frame with rugged welds. No reason it shouldn't hold up on some rougher terrain. But I only it use it on the roads and don't like it one bit after a year. From the extra noisy wide tires, increased resistance, and the snap-quick steering, it's a pain. Can't get used to the lower reach on the very wide handle and how quickly you can lose control due to the wider bar. I'd consider all of this when purchasing how you plan you use your bike. I'm going back to a road bike as soon as I run into a nearly brand new used one that fits my budget.

Without an unlimited budget it isn't about "best", it is about value. As has been mentioned, buy the bike with the most features that fits your budget.

Two other brands to look at are Jamis and Raleigh.

Diamondback is a decent brand. It all depends on how abusive you plan to be. A high end enthusiast or amateur/semi-pro racer might need a $1,000-$5,000 bike. A stiff like me is fine with something in the $400-$650 range. I'd rather find a nearly new bike for 30-50% off that a new owner got tired with or just didn't use.

My Raleigh road bike cost me $450 ten years ago. It was about the heaviest and cheapest road bike I could find at the time. Saving a few ounces off the frame meant nothing to me at 220 lbs...lol. And I pretty much wore out the gears, spokes, and other wear items in that time. Shifters still work good but probably aren't far from failing. Would probably run me $200+ to fix all that even if I did the work myself. It's more cost effective for me to buy another $450 bike and go another 10 years. Try to catch the end of winter season sales and save another 10-20% at some shops. If you buy a bike at a big retail store it will be cheaper, but it probably won't be set up well...that could cost you another $50-$100.

Thanks for all your inputs, I'll definitely check the brands mentioned. As for the question, well I am planning to use it for my morning exercise on a regular road, or at the park for example. what's the difference between a mountain bike and a regular bike? What are the advantages and disadvantages? And do you think my budget is too low?

Originally Posted By: AkiLopez
Thanks for all your inputs, I'll definitely check the brands mentioned. As for the question, well I am planning to use it for my morning exercise on a regular road, or at the park for example. what's the difference between a mountain bike and a regular bike? What are the advantages and disadvantages? And do you think my budget is too low?

You should buy a hybrid bike then. Mountain bikes are basically for trails and "mountains". You don't need a mountain bike for pavement. You can buy a decent hybrid bike for $800 - $1000.

If you want a bike with suspension fork (more comfortable ride, but heavier), I'd suggest you to look Giant Roam 1, Trek DS 8.4 and Specialized Crosstrail Sport/Elite. If you want rigid fork (3-4 lbs lighter), I'd recommend Giant Escape 1, Trek 7.4 FX or Specialized Sirrus Elite.

Do not buy a bike before you test ride it. Take your time, be patient, and try each one for several miles. Also keep in mind, if you buy it from a local bike shop, they usually offer free tune-ups for the first few years.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Originally Posted By: AkiLopez

You should buy a hybrid bike then. Mountain bikes are basically for trails and "mountains". You don't need a mountain bike for pavement. You can buy a decent hybrid bike for $800 - $1000.

If you want a bike with suspension fork (more comfortable ride, but heavier), I'd suggest you to look Giant Roam 1, Trek DS 8.4 and Specialized Crosstrail Sport/Elite. If you want rigid fork (3-4 lbs lighter), I'd recommend Giant Escape 1, Trek 7.4 FX or Specialized Sirrus Elite.

Do not buy a bike before you test ride it. Take your time, be patient, and try each one for several miles. Also keep in mind, if you buy it from a local bike shop, they usually offer free tune-ups for the first few years.

Thanks all for the great suggestions , I am off to search!

Check on used bikes. There are some good deals because people get tired of them or realize that they really don't like riding.

There's going to be some bikes available as soon as the New Year's resolutions start failing.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Check on used bikes. There are some good deals because people get tired of them or realize that they really don't like riding.

There's going to be some bikes available as soon as the New Year's resolutions start failing.

Horrible suggestion. I just checked my local Craigslist, and found about 3 high-end road bikes that I want, at a fraction of what they sold for new. And they all probably have less than 200 miles on them.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Diamondback is a decent brand.

That's what I have. Had it about 10 years or so. Works great for me.

I was in the same position as you a few years ago, just wanted a bike for exercise and a little bit of fun. I almost got a hybrid, but ended up going for a mountain bike and glad I did. I do about 50/50 street and trail but no way would I want skinny tires on dirt with rocks and inclines. No way. Oddly, I haven't met a person that found hybrids useful on any kind of dirt other than in a park or riding around with their kid or something.

You'll likely get lost in all the options, but FWIW I found cable operated disc brakes to perfect, front suspension for sure, 26 in wheels (easier to transport), a computer ( I have a cheap Bell and it's great), and a light (reduces people pulling out in front of you by about 90%). I'll upgrade drive components as they wear out. What I'm glad I DIDN'T get: hydraulic brakes (no need to deal with fluid), and a rear shock (no reason for added complexity).

I bought a virtually new Giant Rev 0 off Craigslist for $600 including some accessories. It great to ride and is surprisingly light. I'm sure a road bike does better on the road but I have no hesitation doing 50 mile loops on mine.

I'm gonna go riding today now!

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Horrible suggestion. I just checked my local Craigslist, and found about 3 high-end road bikes that I want, at a fraction of what they sold for new. And they all probably have less than 200 miles on them.

So how is that a horrible suggestion?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

So how is that a horrible suggestion?

That's because if you don't pay a lot for something it can't be any good. Just as the man that drives a 12 cylinder BMW or Mercedes.

I'd probably agree that if you're going to be on dirt or grass for any significant amount of time, the mountain bike (2-3" wide tires with heavy tread) is far better than the skinny tires (1") on road bikes or even hybrds (1-2"). For me, riding a mountain bike on pavement 99% of the time is very tedious....that's for hybrids or ideally road bikes. The skinny tires of the road bike are susceptible to flats, even just running over small stones the wrong way. I must have gotten 1-2 every year. When I switched to a slightly wider road bike tire, the flats were greatly reduced. The mountain bikes probably won't get flat unless you run over nails or something similar. 2 very different types of bike from my experiences.

Make sure that whatever you get that the width and distance of the front handle bars from the seat is ideal for you. Don't settle for "reaching" or being "cramped" straight up. Ensure you can ride for up to 1 minute in a standing position with ease and comfort.

I really enjoy my 29er mountain bike. The larger wheel seems to just roll of the earth with ease. I ride on the streets as well as some decent trails. With that said, I'd recommend bikesdirect.com for the biggest bang for your buck. ALL the frames in your price point come from 2-3 manufacturers worldwide. The quality of components is what's going to set bikes apart. The SE you listed is VERY entry level.

You'll get high-quality components at a very fair price for your budget. I'll link you a few that I like with the bigger tire.

I'd recommend getting sized correctly at a shop. Fit is KEY.

ALOT of bike for the money. The REBA fork is good stuff! Sram x-9 is high end, and Avid 5 disc brakes are nice. This closeout is a dam good deal. Write down these components, and find a bike at a store. You're talking $1400+ easy.
My first choice

Components not nearly as good but still better then what you can get at a big box store. Cheaper alternative

I'm also a big fan of rigid bikes. My bike is a carbon rigid 29er that's 1x8. I also like Sram drivetrain as it's 1:1 and simple.

Cheap and simple. Beat the snot out of it.
Rigid 29er

Last edited:
If you ever consider riding on singletrack then you should get a dedicated mountain bike. With mountain bikes you have hardtails (no rear suspension) or a full suspension. If you are going to ride rocky, rooty, hilly terrain, a full suspension might be useful, but you won't find one new that's worth riding hard for under $1K.
If you plan on riding park trails and roads, and think you might try some singletrack when your fitness and comfort level improves, then a hardtail is what you want. There are hardtails with a rigid fork. That means no suspension. I had one of those. It got old. There are some tough riders who ride rigid and singlespeed. I tried that for short while, and decided I needed at the very least, a suspended fork.
If you look at hardtails with suspension forks, you can get a decent one for $1k. Once you get bit, and your skills improve, you'll probably move up to the $2-3K hardtails, or $3-4K fullsuspensions.

I'd go with a 29" hardtail and change to some road tires. The mountain bikes are more durable but gearing is not appropriate for high speed riding. If you want to buy new, look at mail order places like Bike Nashbar or Performance.

I also bought a Trek DS 8.5 hybrid from my LBS , great ride, but the rims are garbage. I'm on my 3rd Bontrager rim so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back