Stock Photo instead of actual pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am helping a co-worker search for a brand new car. The co-worker narrowed it down to a Mazda or a Subaru SUV.

We go online to the local dealerships, and Autotrader. The majority of the inventory pictures are "stock photo." Not a real photograph, just a drawing/silhouette of a car. Last year when I was shopping for a car, all the Mazda dealerships in the county, and Autotrader had multiple actual photos of each and every vehicle they had in stock. And recently when we were shopping for my wife's new SUV, most of the dealerships of various makes had real photos, too.

I wonder if dealers use "stock photo" to save money from having to hire a photographer. It sure was easier to shop online when multiple pictures of every vehicle were available. We were hoping to avoid driving around and dealing with pushy salespeople. Just an observation in my neck of the woods anyways.

They don't hire photographers, unless it's the owners stoner 20-something kid.

They just stink at running their website-- it's done by 3rd party integrators and noone at the dealer is putting much effort into the job.

They could just be too busy selling cars-- 2015 was a record year.

Some of the dealers do post actual pictures of the car. They aren't professionally done, but I appreciate seeing the real deal.

They may not actually have the vehicle on the lot to take pictures of. Some dealers have a good portion of their inventory at a remote storage lot. They can say these vehicles are "in stock", but they're not physically on the lot.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

They could just be too busy selling cars-- 2015 was a record year.

This.

Every new subaru sold helps me keep my job

So please
smile.gif

True, maybe they are too busy selling new cars. That would be a great thing.

Just seemed like it was a new trend not to use actual pictures anymore. Or, a way to lure customers into the dealerships to look at the cars in person.

I just remember how nice it was to sit at my desk and view, and review over and over pictures of several cars inside and out that I was interested in last year.

rickmeseke: My co-worker really likes the looks of Subaru, but is very concerned about the AWD system needing four new tires if one becomes unrepairable from a road hazard. Could get costly, especially if they have bad luck and get a single flat tire on multiple occasions. But, I will do more research on that issue, and see what exactly the deal is.

It is laziness.
I have viewed many pictures of cars on line, both new and used.
The good dealerships get it done.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
It takes 10 minutes to photograph and post the pictures

Yeah but whose ten minutes will it take? Salesman "A" so "B" can get the commission?

Or they sent the pictures but the website guy screwed them up and they're busy pointing fingers instead of fixing it?

What gets me more is a website that reads "in stock" but they "just sold it". If I ever bought new I'd have my smart-phone in their lot, find the car, call in, get a salesman's name, then say, well, I'm here.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: rickmeseke
Every new subaru sold helps me keep my job

So please
smile.gif

I assume that you Re an auto mechanic.

I work at the port down here processing subarus, along with lots of other manufacturers, however im strictly subaru.

Actually the same company that processe subaru up in Baltimore at their port, WWL (wallenius wilhelmsem logistics)

The more cars bought the more fuji (subaru manufacturer) will send u us
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Some of the dealers do post actual pictures of the car. They aren't professionally done, but I appreciate seeing the real deal.

^^This!! I don't want to see a professional touched up picture,I want to see the real raw vehicle as it sits on the lot. A professional picture can be very deceiving.

When I decide to purchase a vehicle, I always know what it looks like before I make the purchase. While a photograph is nice, in my opinion it's not necessary if there is a reasonable description.

If it's from a private party then I do expect a photo. But from a dealer, especially a new vehicle, I don't need a photo to know what it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back