fuel additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally the stations I fill up my Ranger at have 10% ethanol, ive been using Stabil Marine 360 at 1 ounce per 10 gallons as instructed on the bottle,coincidentally my truck takes 10 gallons every time I fill it up. While it hasnt increased my mpg, I'll continue to use it if it helps against the negative effects of ethanol. I average between 20.8-21.2 mpg with the 3.0 Vulcan. I was also considering using Lucas Safeguard ethanol treatment, but the general consensus on here is that all Lucas products are junk, correct me if im wrong. Id also like to give 2 stroke oil a try, would TCW3 be the best to use? Ive heard of it leaving ash deposits on valves. Whatever I decide to use, is it ok to use it every fill up? Thanks guys. For the next 6 months I'll be driving it 300 miles a week, all highway miles at speeds of 45-70 mph.

How, just how have I gotten to the miles I've gotten to on my vehicles using only E10 and no additives?

I'll agree it probably does no harm but on the flip side I've never seen anything to show it helps one bit.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
For the next 6 months I'll be driving it 300 miles a week

I dont see a need for any additive.

Yeah no need, if it really bothers you that much run a tank of non ethanol gas every now and then..but I dont see that you will gain more than 0.1-0.5 in fuel economy if even that.

10% ethanol in a daily driver has no real negative effects, its when it sits for extended period that it can drop out under certain conditions especially in small engines with vented fuel caps.
Buying fuel from low volume stations can be a bit dodgy because over time there is a greater possibility of phase separation (drop out) in the stations tanks.

My car sits every other week because I car-pool to work. I read moisture is bad for E10 fuel. Does it matter if it sits for a week with 1/4 tank of gas or a full tank of gas?

Last edited:
Well, yes, moisture and ethanol like to bond, but unlike most folks, I don't spike my fuel with water in my vehicle fuel tank. Auto and pickup fuel systems are not vented, they are sealed setups. If one is getting moisture in their tank it is coming from the station themselves or someone is adding water to your fuel tank when you are not looking. I have been using E10 since the late 70's and have never even seen one instance of the "phase separation" thing that makes its way all over the internet nowadays. For the last few years, I have used E15, E20, E30, and E85 at various times and vehicles have sat for a couple of weeks occasionally and there has never been a fuel related issue.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Well, yes, moisture and ethanol like to bond, but unlike most folks, I don't spike my fuel with water in my vehicle fuel tank. Auto and pickup fuel systems are not vented, they are sealed setups. If one is getting moisture in their tank it is coming from the station themselves or someone is adding water to your fuel tank when you are not looking. I have been using E10 since the late 70's and have never even seen one instance of the "phase separation" thing that makes its way all over the internet nowadays. For the last few years, I have used E15, E20, E30, and E85 at various times and vehicles have sat for a couple of weeks occasionally and there has never been a fuel related issue.
SO when the tank is almost empty there's NO air in it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
they won't ignite with the electric fuel pump inside the tank, so whatever air there is, it's not enough to make a flammable mixture..

Or the pump is designed so as to not expose its internals to fuel vapour...

Would you risk it?

there's not enough oxygen present inside the fuel tank to ignite the micture, that's also why there's a fuel vapour recovery system on gas engines.. that wouldn't work if it was drawing air/oxygen.

I have to wonder if some people have ever filled their vehicle up with fuel with the fuel tank near empty...

Would you risk it?

there's not enough oxygen present inside the fuel tank to ignite the micture, that's also why there's a fuel vapour recovery system on gas engines.. that wouldn't work if it was drawing air/oxygen.

I do every time I start a car, as do you.

they won't ignite with the electric fuel pump inside the tank, so whatever air there is, it's not enough to make a flammable mixture..
This topic is about water in the gas, not explosions. Air entering the tank can bring moisture with it. That air is vented to fill the tank. The tank is not a closed system. Fuel vapor is caught by the charcoal canister, the air isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back