04 toyota ignition switch issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 highlander 127,000 miles. one owner. one driver, same key (not oem key ), key maybe has 100k on it. key is a hardware store key.

couple times in last week key does not want to turn. don't think it was "bound up ' by side pressure from turned tires.
I lubed the switch , don't know if that made it better or worse. gave trouble a few times today. Wife had an unused oem new key that has not been used much as she never drives the car. I tried it today and no hang up/issues yet.
Hope it works well, I wipe it off when I remove it from the switch and get lots of black film coming out on the key itself, not dripping out.
My last toyota went 200k plus with no key issues.
if the newer key works well I guess just use that, but if not, whats the best plan of attack? go to someone (a locksmith??) we have a good one in business 40 years, its a DUMB regular key no security that I see. no chip in the key. the hardware store that made the troublesome key just used an old style blank, 10 years ago and its worked tip recently.

is this a toyota pattern failure?

or do I need to go to auto garage?

I'd just use the original oem key and you should be fine. If it gives you some trouble while starting, turn the steering wheel to see if that's the culprit.

Toyota users split tumblers. Happens later on in thwir lives. Sooner if your wife has a heavy key chain.

You can actually fix it really easily. Pull the ignition out, bend the tab and open it, remove the sllit cogs. Reassemble.

Only slightly less secure, but will work great.

Im guessing you dont have an ignition disabler? If not you can have a new one made..ive had issues with my oem keys..sometimes with getting locked and tough to turn. I'd recommend having dealer provide you a new one. Mine has ignition chip in it and replacement cost is about 100-150$ if i recall correctly including programming. Yours should be under 100$. Id start with that if I were you..if it solves the problem..have an extra made by locksmith or place and see how it goes..a copy of a copy of a key might be your problem.

Never had good luck with hardware store copies in my Toyotas. The worn key is an imperfect template, and the copying process introduces small errors. The result is modest errors in key shape that may make it difficult to run in your lock.

A dealer cut replacement, using the pattern specified by the VIN, will be a better fit. At least, in my experience.

If your the original owner, you should have gotten the key code when you bought the thing new

Should've got two black keys, and one gray valet key

lexus_code_tag.jpg

Look for this little tag, should've been attached to any of the keys/in the paperwork when it was bought new

With that code, any decent locksmith should be able to cut you a new, non worn key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back